Subliminal Talk
Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Other-Topics)
+--- Forum: The Chatter Box (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-The-Chatter-Box)
+--- Thread: Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones (/Thread-Bluetooth-Speakers-and-Headphones)

Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - Javier Gerardo - 01-08-2020

Does using a Bluetooth speaker with Ultrasonic sub reduced its effectiveness as compared to wired speakers?
I plan to buy a stereo (with left and right speaker channels) Bluetooth speaker for use with ultrasonic subs since my two wired speakers I have been using for around 7 years or so have died on me.

Also what about using Bluetooth wireless earphones. Those cheap below $100 models. Airpods seems to cost so much.

RE: Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - LionKing - 01-08-2020

Reduces quality, depending on what codec is used. Wifi has more bandwidth - haven't read but I'm assuming DLNA and similar have (little to) no added compression. 

For bluetooth, there is a baseline mandatory codec which is something like... googling...192-320kbps. Then, if your source and headphones support it, you can have better codecs e.g. AptX or AptX HD. The former of those is "CD quality". So you see that there is compression involved, more or less, so something from the audio file is left out. With wires, there is no compression. I suppose you could even get multiple compressions if some internal system would have to change from a format to another.

You asked about sub effectiveness, but that's hard to measure. You'll be relying on forum member reports, or just uttry it out for a while with BT headphones and try to get a sense of whether it's working better or worse.

RE: Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - Javier Gerardo - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 09:30 AM)LionKing Wrote: Reduces quality, depending on what codec is used. Wifi has more bandwidth - haven't read but I'm assuming DLNA and similar have (little to) no added compression. 

For bluetooth, there is a baseline mandatory codec which is something like... googling...192-320kbps. Then, if your source and headphones support it, you can have better codecs e.g. AptX or AptX HD. The former of those is "CD quality". So you see that there is compression involved, more or less, so something from the audio file is left out. With wires, there is no compression. I suppose you could even get multiple compressions if some internal system would have to change from a format to another.

You asked about sub effectiveness, but that's hard to measure. You'll be relying on forum member reports, or just uttry it out for a while with BT headphones and try to get a sense of whether it's working better or worse.

Thanks for giving your input. It looks like I still have to stick with wired earphones and speakers for full sub effectiveness.

RE: Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - Benjamin - 01-08-2020

Generally it's not recommended. In theory it 'can' reduce compression, but some people have said it's been okay for them. So because of that we can't really say decisively.

RE: Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - SexyMofo - 06-05-2020

I'm using bluetooth headphones since 3years ago and it's fine with results. I'm using some cheapo Anker bluetooth soundsport

RE: Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - GreekGod22 - 03-21-2021

Looking over the specs of a portable wireless speaker. The frequency range is fine, but don't know about the encoding. Need to research more

FREQUENCY TRANSMISSION RANGE20 Hz - 20,000 Hz (Sampling frequency 44.1 kHz)
SUPPORTED CODECS SBC / AAC

RE: Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - Rossignol17 - 04-19-2021

I have always used a quality mp3 player and wired headphones or earbuds. I got great results on USLM V3 using those.

A question for Shannon :
Do you think it matters if the headphones/earbuds are "flat response/studio monitor" quality ? I know that the specs need to be sufficient for playing the ultrasonic part of the hybrid, so they have to be able to handle the 20kHZ frequency. Do you think the "flat response/studio monitors" (wired) will make the subs even more effective since you are reproducing the signal as accurately as it was produced ? I currently keep my equalizer on my mp3 player completely neutral when playing the sub.

I am starting a new run on USLM V4.2 and currently using a pair of "flat response" headphones. My previous run on USLM V4.2 was cut short due to extenuating circumstances that will remain private, but I am excited to see what a new run can do. I am looking to buy a new pair of wired earbuds that are "flat response/studio monitors" that I can wear outside the home. And comfort will also be a factor for me. I am female with small ears and I need something that will not hurt after a 3 1/2 hour or more session.

RE: Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - Shannon - 04-21-2021

(04-19-2021, 02:33 PM)Rossignol17 Wrote: I have always used a quality mp3 player and wired headphones or earbuds. I got great results on USLM V3 using those.

A question for Shannon :
Do you think it matters if the headphones/earbuds are "flat response/studio monitor" quality ? I know that the specs need to be sufficient for playing the ultrasonic part of the hybrid, so they have to be able to handle the 20kHZ frequency.  Do you think the "flat response/studio monitors" (wired) will make the subs even more effective since you are reproducing the signal as accurately as it was produced ? I currently keep my equalizer on my mp3 player completely neutral when playing the sub.

I am starting a new run on USLM V4.2 and currently using a pair of "flat response" headphones.  My previous run on USLM V4.2 was cut short due to extenuating circumstances that will remain private, but I am excited to see what a new run can do.  I am looking to buy a new pair of wired earbuds that are "flat response/studio monitors" that I can wear outside the home. And comfort will also be a factor for me.  I am female with small ears and I need something that will not hurt after a 3 1/2 hour or more session.

It would most likely be a case like the difference between a high quality MP3 and FLAC.  Yes, there will be a difference, but it may not be very big.

RE: Bluetooth Speakers and Headphones - Rossignol17 - 04-21-2021

(04-21-2021, 04:25 PM)Shannon Wrote:
(04-19-2021, 02:33 PM)Rossignol17 Wrote: I have always used a quality mp3 player and wired headphones or earbuds. I got great results on USLM V3 using those.

A question for Shannon :
Do you think it matters if the headphones/earbuds are "flat response/studio monitor" quality ? I know that the specs need to be sufficient for playing the ultrasonic part of the hybrid, so they have to be able to handle the 20kHZ frequency.  Do you think the "flat response/studio monitors" (wired) will make the subs even more effective since you are reproducing the signal as accurately as it was produced ? I currently keep my equalizer on my mp3 player completely neutral when playing the sub.

I am starting a new run on USLM V4.2 and currently using a pair of "flat response" headphones.  My previous run on USLM V4.2 was cut short due to extenuating circumstances that will remain private, but I am excited to see what a new run can do.  I am looking to buy a new pair of wired earbuds that are "flat response/studio monitors" that I can wear outside the home. And comfort will also be a factor for me.  I am female with small ears and I need something that will not hurt after a 3 1/2 hour or more session.

It would most likely be a case like the difference between a high quality MP3 and FLAC.  Yes, there will be a difference, but it may not be very big.

Thanks Shannon. I will report on my success with USLM 4.2.