Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Why do you choose Audacity over VLC player?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read replies in a post asking which players they use. A number of them use Audacity. I'm wondering:

Why do you use Audacity over VLC Player?
I think you mean audacious, similar name but different player. Audacity is more an audio editor.
Ok Benjamin. I saw both Audacity and Audacious in a Chatterbox thread (http://subliminal-talk.com/thread-7408.html) I assumed the latter was a typo.

I'd asked since I've used Audacity for editing recordings, but never for full time use, and it has a lot more features. It had me wondering.
Maybe some do use audacity then. I just started using audacious when someone mentioned it. I don't think there's much of a difference whether you use that or vlc.
Audacious is like the Linux replacement for Winamp.
What do you think about using the speed up option in Audacity? Say play it at x1.20, can get in more hours and I don't know for sure, which is why I'm asking, but wouldn't it still be subconsciously understandable?
I remembered considering that myself a year back. I thought I might "improve" something. Later I realized it was just my own insecurity of not knowing what to expect. Plus I picked up that Shannon maxes out most sub speeds anyway.

I didn't do it. Well, not completely true. I mixed an ultrasonic and a masked version in Audacity. Before using it, I looked through the forum, and Shannon had answered this. He said he had maxed each sub out, and mixing like that could have very undesirable results. I listened to this, using my creation all of 10 minutes. My own fears were demanding control, but the loudest noise is rarely true. Playing either US or masked alone is plenty for me. US actually keeps me out of the way most days

Fear, in my experience, can be a nasty bugger. It can sabotage good things set up. Those fears still speak up. I just don't enjoy the results most times.
No you don't want to speed it up. Shannon has made it the pace it is for a reason, changing that would mess it up.. otherwise Shannon would just make it faster in the first place.