Subliminal Talk
Playing FLAC on apple products? - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Men's Journals (18+ NSFW) (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Men-s-Journals-18-NSFW)
+--- Forum: Men's Product Discussion (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Men-s-Product-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Playing FLAC on apple products? (/Thread-Playing-FLAC-on-apple-products)

Pages: 1 2

Playing FLAC on apple products? - Benjamin - 07-30-2020

Hey guys,
              I'm wondering if any of you play FLAC files on apple products? I ask because someone has asked me and I don't have an iphone or anything. I know apple makes it difficult because they are dodgy and try to force you to only use their format. Hopefully there's a simple way to do so.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - Yous - 07-30-2020

Converting the file from flac to alac, is the same in Apple as flac. Need to find an app to do so. This is one possibility.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - Shannon - 07-30-2020

One possibility we look dimly upon, because then you're changing the program, cant't verify it came from us anymore, and doing exactly what Apple wants you to do: use their standard instead of the standard that everyone else uses.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - yoshilee - 07-30-2020

I am using „Flacbox“, which suits me well when playing from portable ios devices. For desktop „VLC“ should prolly work.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - CatMan - 07-30-2020

I just stick to MP3s on my iPod and iPhone to be honest.

Changing the file in any way, no matter how they claim it changes, is still a risk of the subliminal content being wrecked due to the admittedly obscure stuff we listen to. I wouldn't trust that process at all.

I think MP3s are probably the safest bet in such a case.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - fab10 - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 12:54 AM)Benjamin Wrote: Hey guys,
              I'm wondering if any of you play FLAC files on apple products? I ask because someone has asked me and I don't have an iphone or anything. I know apple makes it difficult because they are dodgy and try to force you to only use their format. Hopefully there's a simple way to do so.

“VLC”

Free app, very easy to use, multiple options to transfer files (no need to use a cable or go through iTunes), plays FLAC flawlessly. VLC has been an institution on all platforms for many years, no need to look further.

(07-30-2020, 11:31 AM)yoshilee Wrote: I am using „Flacbox“, which suits me well when playing from portable ios devices. For desktop „VLC“ should prolly work.

VLC is available for mobile as well. That’s what I use it, it works perfectly. (Except I have not found a way to add the same track multiple times in a playlist, so I have to use a workaround and duplicate the file first.)

(07-30-2020, 05:17 PM)CatMan Wrote: I just stick to MP3s on my iPod and iPhone to be honest.

Changing the file in any way, no matter how they claim it changes, is still a risk of the subliminal content being wrecked due to the admittedly obscure stuff we listen to. I wouldn't trust that process at all.

I think MP3s are probably the safest bet in such a case.

I am not so sure that MP3 won’t be changed, Apple uses AAC, not MP3 internally. Right now I cannot verify whether MP3 stays in MP3 format or is converted to AAC when imported into iTunes/Apple Music but either way VLC is a safer bet because it won’t change the file format for sure. And as an added bonus it allows you to play FLAC and gain the extra (what is it 5%) effectiveness.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - Shannon - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 07:13 PM)fab10 Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 11:31 AM)yoshilee Wrote: I am using „Flacbox“, which suits me well when playing from portable ios devices. For desktop „VLC“ should prolly work.

VLC is available for mobile as well. That’s what I use it, it works perfectly. (Except I have not found a way to add the same track multiple times in a playlist, so I have to use a workaround and duplicate the file first.)

I have personally found, as has my GF, that VLC for Android is frequently guilty of crashing in the middle of a playlist or mysteriously stopping playing it.  Hope that's not the case for Apple users.

(07-30-2020, 07:22 PM)Shannon Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 07:13 PM)fab10 Wrote:

I have personally found, as has my GF, that VLC for Android is frequently guilty of crashing in the middle of a playlist or mysteriously stopping playing it.  Hope that's not the case for Apple users.

No, it never crashed on me (and I have used it a lot)

Edit: but it now has issues adding files with the same name to the same playlist (our use case)

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - Benjamin - 08-01-2020

Cool, thanks guys.

Yeah I knew converting wasn't a good idea, hopefully one of these work for him.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - reki - 08-18-2020

is playing MP3 inferior to FLAC in regards to IML subs?

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - fab10 - 08-18-2020

(08-18-2020, 08:01 AM)reki Wrote: is playing MP3 inferior to FLAC in regards to IML subs?

Yes, but not by much (can’t remember exactly how much %)

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - RTBoss - 08-18-2020

(08-18-2020, 08:03 AM)fab10 Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 08:01 AM)reki Wrote: is playing MP3 inferior to FLAC in regards to IML subs?

Yes, but not by much (can’t remember exactly how much %)

Shannon has mentioned before that FLAC is about 3% more effective than MP3.