Subliminal Talk

Full Version: forum search limitations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could the staff grace us with the favor of removing the minimum character limit for searches Smile

For example if you search for "sm3" you get this error:

Quote:One or more of your search terms were shorter than the minimum length. The minimum search term length is 4 characters.

most people don't type out the full name of the program just the acronym and many popular ones are less than the required 4 characters
Search is pretty bad in general; I couldn't get usable results for "Netflix" without going into Advanced Search, and "The Big Short" had nothing usable at all because there was no apparent way to AND given search terms.
(08-16-2016, 09:19 PM)apollolux Wrote: [ -> ]Search is pretty bad in general; I couldn't get usable results for "Netflix" without going into Advanced Search, and "The Big Short" had nothing usable at all because there was no apparent way to AND given search terms.

Go to advanced search.

1. Select search entire post
2. Type the big short inside quotation marks like this: "The Big Short"
3. Select show results as: posts

Boom =)
bump Smile
I use google for searching this forum. Simply put siteConfusedubliminal-talk.com into search field. Usually I have good results with this method.
Search minimum is turned off, but for full text searching (which is what this board uses) MySQL overrides it with a minimum of 4 due to structural limitations. I'm weighing the pros and cons of altering mysql to do so. Another option is to replace the in board search with google, but many members including myself prefer the built in search over google.