Subliminal Talk

Full Version: This cashier said to me.....?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was at the grocery shop paying for my items. At the end, she said to me, "Have a good day, sweetheart". What does sweetheart mean? She's around the same age as me, which is 25 years old. I got the vibe (or maybe I was just being paranoid) that maybe she thought I looked depressed or something or anxious and said sweetheart for that reason. Or was she showing affection? Her tone of voice was very neutral. Why would someone say sweetheart?
Depends on location. Sweetheart and sugar can basically be nonsexual between different genders in some areas. Did she happen to have a southern accent?
California. No southern accent.
It's usually a term of endearment. It depends if she's somebody who says it all the time or not.
I get this too, used to freak me out and I'd be like "Is this AM working???"

Cashiers have called me "my dear" "sweetheart" "honey" and the latest, most weird one to me "my friend" lol. Sometimes I look deep into it, but I don't think that's wise.
I am pretty sure universe loves u
(12-30-2015, 02:20 PM)dissonance Wrote: [ -> ]So I was at the grocery shop paying for my items. At the end, she said to me, "Have a good day, sweetheart". What does sweetheart mean? She's around the same age as me, which is 25 years old. I got the vibe (or maybe I was just being paranoid) that maybe she thought I looked depressed or something or anxious and said sweetheart for that reason. Or was she showing affection? Her tone of voice was very neutral. Why would someone say sweetheart?

When it happens to me and a cashier around my age or younger says honey or hun or something I take it as an insult, I don't know why it just bothers me, makes me feel like I'm being talked down to or something like I'm some little kid or something, idk it just bothers me. Most likely it's just something she says often just being friendly, I never take it friendly though, it always makes me feel belittled like I'm a bitch or something lol, it's just one of those things that just irks me.
Yeah, she probably just picked up the habit somewhere. It's like guys calling other guys "bud." So it can either be whatever or semi-insulting depending upon a person's reaction to it. I like to turn it around and call the person "champ" or "lady" if I'm in a mood to stir some people up. "No thanks lady."
I have had someone say to me "honey" "sweetheart" it is a figure of speech of politeness......or their way of saying "sir" in a polite manner......
(12-31-2015, 10:54 AM)TheRealJustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2015, 02:20 PM)dissonance Wrote: [ -> ]So I was at the grocery shop paying for my items. At the end, she said to me, "Have a good day, sweetheart". What does sweetheart mean? She's around the same age as me, which is 25 years old. I got the vibe (or maybe I was just being paranoid) that maybe she thought I looked depressed or something or anxious and said sweetheart for that reason. Or was she showing affection? Her tone of voice was very neutral. Why would someone say sweetheart?

When it happens to me and a cashier around my age or younger says honey or hun or something I take it as an insult, I don't know why it just bothers me, makes me feel like I'm being talked down to or something like I'm some little kid or something, idk it just bothers me. Most likely it's just something she says often just being friendly, I never take it friendly though, it always makes me feel belittled like I'm a bitch or something lol, it's just one of those things that just irks me.

I used to think that too. It really bothered me at first, then i took it as a shit test, then I just realized it doesn't matter and I was being too reactive.

I mean, even if it IS an insult, she hasn't known you long enough to make an insult from any kind of understanding of you at all. That's what i realized anyway.

(12-31-2015, 07:39 PM)hiddenalias Wrote: [ -> ]I have had someone say to me "honey" "sweetheart" it is a figure of speech of politeness......or their way of saying "sir" in a polite manner......

I've had girls call me sir on AM a lot, not so much anymore though. Not sure why, trying to not read into it, though.