Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Lowest Volume for Ultrasonic Calibration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've been trying to calibrate to use the USonics while listening to other stuff. But I have reached a bit of a dilemma.

First, I ran the speaker test. On the three audio systems I tried it, two do indeed cut out at 20 seconds, then remained silent to the end. The third actually has two very faint fast high pitched pulses all the way at the end. Anyway, audio systems work.

So I put on the stream. Set it to a comfortable level. Then the ocean. Set it to a level where I can comfortable hear the lowest part of the swell. Then I turn on the Ultrasonic. I take out FrequenSee to check directly next to the speaker, only to see that the Ultrasonic peaks at around -65dB to -70dB. I take out a second phone with FrequenSee to verify. So I increase the volume until it peaks at around -40dB, which I saw recommended somewhere. I then turn on the Ocean again, only to feel as if it is just far too loud. Guess my ears are still quite sensitive.

So I was wondering how low can I go with the Ultrasonics without them losing effectiveness? When does it become too soft to still function?
(12-09-2015, 03:47 PM)Whisperer Wrote: [ -> ].
So I was wondering how low can I go with the Ultrasonics without them losing effectiveness? When does it become too soft to still function?

Good question, interested if there is an answer to this?
Yeah, on frequensee I see it as -30 db, and when I put on the masked trickling I can BARELY hear it.. weird.
(12-10-2015, 10:23 AM)Survivor Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, on frequensee I see it as -30 db, and when I put on the masked trickling I can BARELY hear it.. weird.

That is strange, in FrequenSee the masked and UltraSonics peak at the same height. Maybe your audio equipment is auto-compensating, something I'm going to ask a question about once this one gets a satisfying answer. One question at a time seems proper.

Wow, -30 sounds like walking into a Dance club to me. At least at the source (using headphones here). -40 is still loud to my ears, I think my comfortable range is around -50.

EDIT:
There's something else to consider here. It has been stated multiple times that louder produces different results, although I'm skeptical if that's also the case with headphones, since they are directly on your ear and I can only assume in such a case, we're looking at diminishing returns. Once the message comes across loud and clear without interference, turning up the volume doesn't really do a lot of good.

I've also seen it stated that technically the UltraSonics are louder than the masked track, since the US plays at a normalized level and in the masked track the message will be softer, or you'd hear it. Shannon's head might explode if someone comes along and can actually transcribe what they hear, I'm sure. They'd have carpal tunnel afterwards though.

So I'd turn on some music with a small dynamic range (since the US plays at the exact same volume throughout the track), listen to it as loud as is possible while still feeling comfortable and without the possibility of causing damage to the ear. I then use FrequenSee to find out at what level that music/sound peaks, and calibrate the UltraSonic to that same level. That should be as good as it gets.

I'd still like to have an answer to my question though. When does it become too soft to be effective?

And a second question: why are the results different if it's louder? Are we simply assuming that if it's not as loud, we may miss some words here or there, or does the subconscious really differentiate between a person whispering, talking and shouting and produce different effects?
The normal way to set the volume is to use the masked track first at a comfortable volume then have ultrasonic the same volume.

As for the frequency meter thing I have no idea about that part.