Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Phone Speaker Comparison Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, so I'm having some trouble with playing my subs lately.

I used to play all of my subs off of the stereo speakers from my Nokia Lumia 920. I feel like I got great results from my previous subs. Recently I upgraded to a new cell phone. I still have my Lumia 920, but I've now got access to a Samsung Galaxy S6.

I've bought many bluetooth speakers and hate the way that bluetooth distorts the audio, so I won't be playing my subs out of anything but one of my two cell phones.

I can't find my speaker information for either phones really anywhere out there on the internet. I've run the audio test from the main website and it sounds like both phones can play all of the frequencies I'm hearing in the test--but when I ran FrequenSEE on my new galaxy s6, it said that around the 20khz frequency, all of my sound got dropped.

I've been running my subs off of the s6 lately. I know that Shannon wrote that on gender-specific subs (like AM and SM and WM), I can just use a mono speaker, which the S6 only has, unfortunately.

They don't seem to make a very good spectrum analyzer for windows phone. I have one but it only analyzes frequencies up to 8Khz.

my question is:

Which phone is better for playing subs on. I don't care if neither of them will work 100%, and if both of them work 100%, then that is even better. I just want to know which will give me the better results for gender-specific subs, like AM, WM, or SM: My Nokia Lumia 920, or my Samsung Galaxy S6.

Thanks.
Bluetooth distorts the audio? I've never heard that. I've used bluetooth every night for a long time and have had excellent results, so have many others. I think you have nothing to worry about with Bluetooth speakers, putting one on either side of your bed preferably, or even on one side, is WAY better than relying on a cell phone for audio. That's a sharp reduction in performance. I know you say you don't care, but willingly giving up so much performance of a program from the start, makes me wonder what the point would be of doing so. It may be a very intriguing form of resistance I've never heard of before Wink...keep that in mind and put those Bluetooths to work.

I'm saying for masked for sure, the Bluetooth will be fine and the MOST preferred option by far compared to phone audio of either. Ultrasonic, that's trickier, not all speakers can play it as you may know, so running a test and then checking it with an app and listening for any sounds at all from the speaker is needed.

You can use ALL subs with mono, not just the big 3, Shannon has said that yes. What he ALSO said though, is it's a reduction of performance down to about 40%. And the Lumia is stereo, so no wonder you got much more out of the program on that than the mono of the S6. So, now you want to use a cell phone instead of headphones or speakers...AND you want to use mono on a phone. Hmm, in that situation, it makes me wonder what the point is. I mean sure, it's literally better than nothing, but that's like an obese person eating junk food instead of nothing. Isn't it better to stack the deck as much as possible in your favour?...

Best advice to you. Realise this may be a very advanced form of fear of change and/or resistance, making you find ways to throttle back the power of the programs as much as possible. Plug in the Bluetooth speakers and use them as many hours a day as possible, in retaliation. Headphones at night like my Sleephones Bluetooth if you wish, those are well documented as working beautifully with Shannon's subs so they're a safe bet.

That's the best advice I can give!
(08-02-2015, 08:03 PM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]Bluetooth distorts the audio? I've never heard that. I've used bluetooth every night for a long time and have had excellent results, so have many others. I think you have nothing to worry about with Bluetooth speakers, putting one on either side of your bed preferably, or even on one side, is WAY better than relying on a cell phone for audio. That's a sharp reduction in performance. I know you say you don't care, but willingly giving up so much performance of a program from the start, makes me wonder what the point would be of doing so. It may be a very intriguing form of resistance I've never heard of before Wink...keep that in mind and put those Bluetooths to work.

I'm saying for masked for sure, the Bluetooth will be fine and the MOST preferred option by far compared to phone audio of either. Ultrasonic, that's trickier, not all speakers can play it as you may know, so running a test and then checking it with an app and listening for any sounds at all from the speaker is needed.

You can use ALL subs with mono, not just the big 3, Shannon has said that yes. What he ALSO said though, is it's a reduction of performance down to about 40%. And the Lumia is stereo, so no wonder you got much more out of the program on that than the mono of the S6. So, now you want to use a cell phone instead of headphones or speakers...AND you want to use mono on a phone. Hmm, in that situation, it makes me wonder what the point is. I mean sure, it's literally better than nothing, but that's like an obese person eating junk food instead of nothing. Isn't it better to stack the deck as much as possible in your favour?...

Best advice to you. Realise this may be a very advanced form of fear of change and/or resistance, making you find ways to throttle back the power of the programs as much as possible. Plug in the Bluetooth speakers and use them as many hours a day as possible, in retaliation. Headphones at night like my Sleephones Bluetooth if you wish, those are well documented as working beautifully with Shannon's subs so they're a safe bet.

That's the best advice I can give!

Thanks so much for your advice and your speedy reply. Unfortunately, I can't use bluetooth speakers during the day or the night. I'm usually cooped up in a room which has no real table surfaces. The only way I can have a bluetooth speaker is if I place it across the room from where I can sit, and this is out of the range of most bluetooth stereo speakers I can afford. Outside of that, I'm in the car, or briefly in a shop or restaurant or whatever, listening on my phone, which I have in my pocket. I realize that putting people in range of my subs isn't the best idea, but it's usually only for 15-20 minutes tops, and this doesn't seem like it's really a substantial enough of an amount of time to do any real change in them.

Shannon writes this in his thread on cell phone usage:

Shannon Wrote:The only programs that do not use SSE are those that are Type A (the PSE Version 2.0 programs with script which are Type A/B hybrids do not, but that will change when Version 3.0 is released) and those programs that are designed specifically for one gender only, and therefore only use one gender of voice. Those programs use a different method to take the place of SSE, which makes them usable on mono speakers at full effect.

This means you can use PSE on cell phones, and programs like Alpha Male, Alpha Female, and other gender specific programs.

However.

That said... why would you ever use anything but PSE on a cell phone without headphones anyway? You don't want to affect everyone around you, you want to affect yourself only.

It seems to me that based on his explanation, the only real reason I would need to use a stereo speaker is for non-gender specific subs that utilize dual voices, one for each gender. He seems to claim that gender-specific subs only utilize one voice, and as such, would work 100% on mono speakers that could hit the desired frequency range of 20hz-20khz. Am I correct in my understanding of this?

What I'm trying to figure out is the comparison of speaker frequency ranges on my two cell phone options. I realize that nobody really uses windows phone, but if anyone knows of any good web-based spectrum analyzers, perhaps, or something I can download as an app onto my windows phone, or can just help me find the data somewhere on the internet, I'd really like to know which phone I can use to make the subs better for me.

I can't utilize bluetooth or laptop speakers in my current situation right now. I thoroughly enjoy the mobility and freedom I currently have using either of my two cell phone speakers to play the subs, and don't have the economic luxury of purchasing a brand new speaker to fiddle around with. I'd really like to make sure that I'm getting the most of my time using these subs, so if my Galaxy S6 does have better speakers for this stuff than my Windows Phone, I'll make the transition to that--but if my Windows Phone has the better speakers, then I'll stick with that and have to keep both phones with me wherever I am.
My pleasure!

That post sounds dated. It references an older program. He has since changed his views to push for headphones use for much more impact. He has said headphones use can give a 125% increase in performance. Maybe he didn't realise how big of an impact in performance stereo/headphones use was back then, I'm not sure.

Of the two, Lumia has much better speakers. I said to use the Bluetooth speakers because they're truly the best option besides headphones use, and you said you've purchased lots of them before, so I figured you still have them. But if you honestly have absolutely no flat surface to put a tiny little bluetooth speaker onto...(which in case you can't tell I find slightly hard to believe Wink...) then stick with the Lumia. Those Lumia speakers...of the TWO options you want mind you...are superior to the mono of the Galaxy.

On the app situation, here's the thing. I ran into this problem testing my setup. I realised I couldn't test my phone's ability to run ultrasonic with a spectrum analyzer, WHILE running the sub. It wouldn't work, it would stop playing as soon as I went into Frequensee. Maybe your Lumia can do differently, but my phone always doing that negated me getting an iPod to run the subs, and using the phone to run Frequensee to make sure it all works okay and can hit the necessary 20khz minimum to be effective with ultrasonics. Just to keep in mind in case you run into similar trouble.

In the end, in order of effectiveness from best to worst, it generally goes:

Headphones
Stereo speakers on both sides of you
Stereo speakers on one side of you
Cell phone speaker in stereo
Cell phone speaker in mono

I hope that all will help man!
(08-02-2015, 09:15 PM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]My pleasure!

That post sounds dated. It references an older program. He has since changed his views to push for headphones use for much more impact. He has said headphones use can give a 125% increase in performance. Maybe he didn't realise how big of an impact in performance stereo/headphones use was back then, I'm not sure.

Of the two, Lumia has much better speakers. I said to use the Bluetooth speakers because they're truly the best option besides headphones use, and you said you've purchased lots of them before, so I figured you still have them. But if you honestly have absolutely no flat surface to put a tiny little bluetooth speaker onto...(which in case you can't tell I find slightly hard to believe Wink...) then stick with the Lumia. Those Lumia speakers...of the TWO options you want mind you...are superior to the mono of the Galaxy.

On the app situation, here's the thing. I ran into this problem testing my setup. I realised I couldn't test my phone's ability to run ultrasonic with a spectrum analyzer, WHILE running the sub. It wouldn't work, it would stop playing as soon as I went into Frequensee. Maybe your Lumia can do differently, but my phone always doing that negated me getting an iPod to run the subs, and using the phone to run Frequensee to make sure it all works okay and can hit the necessary 20khz minimum to be effective with ultrasonics. Just to keep in mind in case you run into similar trouble.

In the end, in order of effectiveness from best to worst, it generally goes:

Headphones
Stereo speakers on both sides of you
Stereo speakers on one side of you
Cell phone speaker in stereo
Cell phone speaker in mono

I hope that all will help man!

It does, a lot. Thanks.
(08-02-2015, 09:15 PM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe your Lumia can do differently, but my phone always doing that negated me getting an iPod to run the subs, and using the phone to run Frequensee to make sure it all works okay and can hit the necessary 20khz minimum to be effective with ultrasonics.

The tests this guy did show the iPod Touch 5th generation can handle 20KHz pretty well, FWIW.
(08-03-2015, 10:06 AM)apollolux Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2015, 09:15 PM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe your Lumia can do differently, but my phone always doing that negated me getting an iPod to run the subs, and using the phone to run Frequensee to make sure it all works okay and can hit the necessary 20khz minimum to be effective with ultrasonics.

The tests this guy did show the iPod Touch 5th generation can handle 20KHz pretty well, FWIW.

Thanks. I don't own an Ipod, nor will I ever willingly give any money to the crook organization known as Apple Computers Tongue Do you know if the Ipod 5g has mono speakers too? or are they stereo like my galaxy s6?
(08-03-2015, 11:41 AM)kalmah0804 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know if the Ipod 5g has mono speakers too?

The official specs say "built-in speaker" but no mention of whether it's mono or stereo, though the Engadget specs do say stereo.

Personally, I'm surprised just now to find that Engadget's iPad 3 specs say the iPad speaker is mono. I've been using headphones (Apple Earpods) this whole time, but just a thing for me to remember for the future.