Subliminal Talk

Full Version: What's your favorite operating system?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just curious.
I can only vote for Windows, as that's the only one I know how to use. And I try to stay as far away from Macs as possible.
(03-11-2010, 12:17 PM)Clamshell Wrote: [ -> ]I can only vote for Windows, as that's the only one I know how to use. And I try to stay as far away from Macs as possible.

Do you avoid Macs because you don't know how to use them?
(03-13-2010, 12:12 PM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2010, 12:17 PM)Clamshell Wrote: [ -> ]I can only vote for Windows, as that's the only one I know how to use. And I try to stay as far away from Macs as possible.

Do you avoid Macs because you don't know how to use them?

That, and they are slow, and their best use seems to be for graphic design. Whereas a PC seems to be for so much more.
I have never used a Mac before... I use mainly Linux, and where I am forced to, I use Windows. But Andrew uses Mac a lot, and we will be using it a lot more in the future, if some of our plans get off the ground. I think you might like Macs a bit more when you see what we have in mind to create for you with them. Smile

Kind of odd that I don't use a Mac, actually, as I work with both visual and audio media so much.
Speed is an independent variable, try OSX with roughly equivalent hardware to the windows machine. It will be faster.
I use Windows on a daily basis, but it's not my favourite.

I've used DOS, Windows, various distributions of Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris (Slow-laris)...favourite is Linux. I'm going to be even more precise and say that while I respect distributions like Fedora, SuSE, Ubuntu, etc. that try and be user-friendly, I do not like those. I like distributions that make you get your hands dirty (Slackware, Arch Linux, Gentoo [although it makes me want to pull my hair out], stuff like that). My only gripe is that I can't always get the programs I want to work under Linux so I have to go with Windows.

I have no comment on Macs because I have never really used one. I want a MacBook Pro but haven't purchased one yet.
Wow, I'm not alone! lol I have used them all too... except Mac. My favorite used to be FreeBSD. I love how they handle the system updates. But the lack of ability to run my business on it killed that for me. I loved to get my hands dirty with it, but now I choose the distribution I do because I don't have time for that anymore. Now I need to get stuff done, and getting under the hood is only going to slow that down. What used to be my hobby and a lot of fun for me, now is a liability. So now I use PCLinuxOS (which is in my opinion easier to use than any of the others, it pretty much "just works"). I use Windows for building the subliminals, uploading to the manufacturer (requires ActiveX), printing CDs and maximum quality photographic prints (QImage) and occasional gaming, and Linux to do everything else (backups, burning duplicating masters, surfing the web, chatting, etc.)

Pretty soon the linux drivers for my Epson R2880 printer are going to surpass those from Windows, and I'll switch printing back over to Linux. Just like I was doing when I has the old R1800.
Definately not windows 10.

[Image: Necromanceries-intensifies.jpghttp:]
If the question is about favorite OS, without skipping a beat, my answer is LINUX. But my line of work (finance and investment) required me to use Windows. Because of proprietary software and such.

When I found out that @Shannon use KDE (Linux) I was surprised. Because I thought his work is MacOS-ish in nature (multimedia).
Mac user here. I had been a Windows user since about 1996 until I got an Imac about 2 years ago. I can never go back now. Not once had I needed to reinstall the OS, I can't remember my computer ever crashing, i've never gotten a virus on my computer.

I wouldn't use windows even if you paid me. It's just a quality of life thing. Sure Macs are more expensive but the OS and the better quality of life it gives me since I use my computer a lot is worth it.
I love Mac and have been a user since 2010 and will never get back to windows. My parents computers a windows and all this updates and shit make me crazy. Mac just work. The only negative thing is that Microsoft excel doesn’t work as good on Mac as on windows.
I was a windows guy for years. In college I had to use Mac for certain classes and at the time I hated them. Now, I can't stand windows. Windows 7 was the best, 8 and 10 are a complicated mess. Now I have a Mac for work and I love it. I also have a kali box and a few Ubuntu boxes at my day job and same for my home.
I think it's the marketing and undue hype that MAcs and other Apple products get that makes me so biased against them. I'm sure Macs are fine. I like iPods though. Anyway, I'm used to Windows and so that's what I use. Works for me. I don't know anything about Linux. I'm afraid getting the hang of Linux will probably be over my head if I try using it.
Pages: 1 2