Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Good examples of Alpha in TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I went to embed the original videos and my first post got deleted so...

Khal Drogo

And Al Swearengen from Deadwood

Ragnar lothbrook from the new show "vikings" on history channel
Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Andy Whitfield - Spartacus Season 1
Comedies seem to be showing interesting facets of alpha/beta mix like Athol recommends. For instance: Phil Dunfey (Modern Family) and Ron Swanson (Parks and Recreation). Both have an interesting mix of leadership and comfort.
(04-24-2013, 11:01 AM)MD81 Wrote: [ -> ]Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Andy Whitfield - Spartacus Season 1

Jon Hamm himself...no, but Don Draper on the other hand is about as boss as they come. Love that show!

Andy Whitfield was so bad ass as Spartacus. The first season of that show was the best. The new guy wasn't bad, though. They just finished up the final season and I was pretty impressed with it.

Speaking of "Blood and Sand". I think we can all agree that there is no one more bad ass than Theokoles.
Vincent Chase from Entourage - May not be a 'macho' alpha but he is always in control and frankly doesn't care.

Skins - MTV - Used to watch a bit of this show, very good but mainly aimed for teenagers. The kid, Tony, was a young Alpha. It's the same as the BBC series.

Walking Dead - Rick

House - Dr. House (kinda makes me think of Shannon but not as arrogant lol).
I disagree: Rick takes too much crap from Shane. He talks too much, and is indecisive.

I misread your House comment at first, thinking you meant Shannon was more arrogant than House! ROFL.
Maybe in the beginning. Rick has taken full control after Shane was gone. At the end of season 3 he began to balance his leadership a little better.
I love House's character but I feel like hes too neurotic to be alpha. Perhaps you can share why you think so Ryan.

With Rick its a little difficult to say. Were talking about a story that isnt simply set in another time or manner of life. Its in a world that is psychologically disturbed with no real rules and actions of kindness or morality become grey.

With the exception of Lori being gone its gone from a general democracy with two co captains/commissioners to Rictatorship where he kept everyone under his thumb to stay alive.

I mean which form of leadership is better? Leading with an iron fist or leading primarily but still considering your subjects wants/wishes/thoughts. I find that Rick puts up with Shanes outbursts and bs more because they've known each other forever and have that brotherly love that mirrors that Wyatt Earp / Doc Holiday friendship except with the drama.

I'm all for being good/moral and what not but even I thought he should have left Shane in the bus. He always has to be the white knight until he finally snaps for a while.

Since you mention GoT Cortez what about Ned Stark. Does he qualify as a AM? I do like Khal Drago as a choice though especially with his physical take on matters lol.
Well, the best examples I've seen of alpha in tv I think that correlates best to the AM program is Ned Stark from GoT. He consistently does what must be done and just like what Shannon said sometime ago, from his experience doing the right/good thing is whatever will get you in the most amount of shit lol. Hence, getting his head chopped off.

I actually like Tywin Lannister, hes your guy if you're into hardcore alphas. If you guys have read the books you'll know that he encompasses almost every facet of alpha: he's brutally intelligent, he's extremely cunning, he was once a great warrior before he got old and won't let anyone get in his way. You're all in for some surprises in the GoT third season if you haven't read the books.

Also in the spartacus front, I'm a little surprised no one has brought up Gannicus. That guy is an alpha rockstar gladiator, he's too awesome.

Although not in tv but a movie, I saw Lincoln awhile ago and he seemed to be the perfect leadership alpha. Always very controlled, reassuring to his followers, compassionate but firm. Plus, if the Lincoln in the movie truly was like that in real life he had a very natural charisma about him that somehow made people WANT to be lead by him. That's what I call alpha, people want you to lead.

There's just so many ways in how alpha can be expressed...
If you guys have watched any of the "Fast and The Furious" movies Vin Diesel is so Alpha, takes care of his crew and always gets the job done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2h75LLhxM4

Thanks

Fonzy
Interesting topic. I keep meaning to watch Game Of Thrones but haven't yet.

As for Rick on the walking dead, early on Shane was alot more Alpha and in that environment he would be the one to help you survive, but as it went on Rick become more Alpha and I like how he is now. The scene where he said "it's either my way or the highway" was when things changed for him.

I also agree that Oliver Queen fits the bill after he come off the island. Seeing the scenes of him before that I don't like him much before.

I used to watch Smallville when I was younger and got into it again. Lex Luther in that show fits the bill too, but Clark is just a pussy.

And of course Christian Troy in Nip/Tuck. I believe you may have even posted this video a few years ago Cortez, it's the video that got me into the series.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgM3a_8Vq7c[/youtube]

I did watch the first few episodes of Vikings and agree he is pretty Alpha, haven't watched the others yet though.

-Ben
I'd saw this is a pretty alpha way to handle the situation

violence warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raqF9qsakY4
Christian Troy for sure! How could I forget him? One of the most boss characters in tv.

Mango- Gannicus was one of my favorite characters on Spartacus. Let's face it. There's way more alpha examples on that show than not.

Subeternal- Ned Stark is pretty damn alpha, but a terrible tactician. My favorite character now in the show(since Khal Drogo is dead) is Petyr Baelish. He's just a stone cold pimp.

As far as The Walking Dead goes, I'd say the most alpha dude in that show by far is The Governor. I found myself constantly rooting for him, because Rick's group is annoying and whines all the time.
Pages: 1 2