Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Bad Translator!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I used to play a game with the online translators, reminiscent of the "telephone" game we played as children. If you're not familiar with "Telephone", you basically have a bunch of kids sit in a circle, and then you tell one of them something, and have them tell the person next to them, who tells the person next to them, and so forth, until it reaches the person next to whomever was originally told the message. Then the original message is spoken aloud for everyone to hear, and the person getting it last speaks what they heard told to them. The differences can be astonishing, and quite hilarious.

Online language translators can be used to similar hilarious effect. But it takes a while to do it manually. Someone came up with an automatic way to do it.

Bad Translator:

http://ackuna.com/badtranslator#

I'm going to start us off with some interesting translations of things I test it with, and anyone else can join in with their own translations and results.

Here we go.

Original text:

"We hold these thruths to be self evident, that all men are created equal."

...35 translations later, Bing gives us:

"And what you need to do the same."

Original text:

"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

"Lex finds out how many trees can be removed."

Original text:

"Thou shalt not kill."

"If the muscles"

Original text:

"It is my humble opinion that cow's milk tastes significantly better than goat's milk, but of course that is only my humble opinion."

"There are a large number of goats. TLC, but will be."

The same thing, translated in order of languages in the list:

Original text:

"It is my humble opinion that cow's milk tastes significantly better than goat's milk, but of course that is only my humble opinion."

"It's the smell of goat's milk. My opinion so it is"

And now some random language order translations of the same phrase after 35 translations:

"Mountain goat's milk is very good: it seems to me, try. It seems to me"

"Goat's milk, milk of cow, but, Yes, in my opinion, the best."

"Goat milk cow deadlock hunger on the head from the milk. Yes, on my head:"

"Goat milk is interesting. However, Yes, Yes, this is just my opinion."

And last but not least:

Original text:

"Bad translator."

"Was not valid."

"Bad game."

"A poor country."

"Bad Hall"

"Very bad"

"Zavall Tumacz. "

" . "

Wow. That's bad.
That telephone game, when I was growing up, was called 'Chinese Whispers' - but when you use it to teach English in China it makes sense to change the name, so it was called 'Broken Telephone'.

We have another similar game among the Shanghai expat community, that I used to play with my old workmates, Americans and Englishmen. Someone says the literal translation of a Chinese word, and you have to guess the English translation, for example:

Electric Brain? Answer: Computer (电脑)
Liquor Shop? Answer: Motel (酒店) - (not liquor shop, funnily enough)
East West? Answer: Thing (东西)
Book Table? Answer: Desk (书桌)
On the Sea? Answer: Shanghai (上海)
Machine Man? Answer: Robot (机器人)
Cowboy Pants? Answer: Jeans (牛仔裤)
Original text:

"Online language translators can be used to similar hilarious effect. But it takes a while to do it manually. Someone came up with an automatic way to do it. "

"The impact of the Internet and traditional entertainment. The wizard automatically."
Hahah that's some awesome translation!

Let's give this a go..

WTF?!

Quote:"Mary had a little lamb"

"Robert P turag"

The Matrix could have turned out quite differently!

Quote:The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

The matrix system of nm. The notes to the Chief Prosecutor of carpenters Anplway we're looking into the bowl. I have a lot of people. But it will not be this person is included in the system. If you don't want to deal with the additional account wayahe must be used. Ready to fight in self-defense.

Imagine a remake of ASC translated! With lines like this...

Quote:"I am now becoming more and more self confident."

"I believe that the other side."

Quote:"I now have absolute confidence and certainty that I absolutely can do whatever I choose to do."

"Now make sure that my discount and REPO."

HAHAHAHA..

Quote:"I now completely disconnect from, let go of, reject, release and utterly destroy any belief or idea that would reduce my self confidence, and instantly replace it with one that increases my self confidence."

"In Israel, the mission as a driver and undeniable and proud woman."

Huh

Quote:"My absolutely rock solid self confidence is natural and inevitable."

"It's not a great lesson, and can avoid the company. It is the art of hypertensive heart disease"

Quote:"My confidence is steadily, inevitably and continually increasing, improving and making me more and more powerful, effective, attractive and successful."

"An effective moisturizer should be successful limiting belief résidentielle I Updated."

So should ASC be used with an effective moisturizer Shannon? That isn't in the manual! Big Grin

-Ben
That's hilarious, Ben!
I successfully translated badly, Pain is an illusion to Pain is an illusion!

I also got "Bird like to like to cry!" but I cannot say how I came to that translation. It's inappropriate. LOL
"I am sexy man".

becomes:

"Beautiful teens".

Smile
(03-21-2013, 03:18 PM)ManOfElectricity Wrote: [ -> ]"I am sexy man".

becomes:

"Beautiful teens".

Smile

I was playing about on google translate a few weeks ago and typed in I Would Like A Meat Pie For My Dinner.....to be translated into Arabic
The translation...
Hello Kitty!
(03-22-2013, 04:01 AM)Strawberry Blonde Wrote: [ -> ]

becomes:

"Beautiful teens".

Smile

I was playing about on google translate a few weeks ago and typed in I Would Like A Meat Pie For My Dinner.....to be translated into Arabic
The translation...
Hello Kitty!

Lol, how did it become Hello Kitty? :-) Google translate comes up with some funny translations.
(03-23-2013, 08:17 AM)ManOfElectricity Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-22-2013, 04:01 AM)Strawberry Blonde Wrote: [ -> ]

becomes:

"Beautiful teens".

Smile

The translation...
Hello Kitty!

Lol, how did it become Hello Kitty? :-) Google translate comes up with some funny translations.

Who knows: maybe that's what they say in Arabia before they eat a meat pie !
Original text:

"I love you."

"How make it?"

"I take her in my arms."

"I love to be here"

"On my arm"

"If you want to"

"I decided to"

"That's all nasty......"