Subliminal Talk

Full Version: iTunes renaming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I managed to snag a few subs this past Saturday for the ridiculous sale and had this question:

When I transferred my subs to iTunes, it obviously went down as a unknown artist, unknown album file and wanted to rename them. When I did this I saw a window pop up saying "ID3 tags being rewritten...". They are still 44.1 kHz/320 kbps files, but I know Shannon put up somewhere that he doesn't want his subs messed around with but I thought changing their unknown status would help me organize them better in my library. Should I worry?
I don't think it would be a problem, you aren't actually changing the audio part only the tags so you can identify it, it won't effect the audio at all, that's what Shannon means.
If the tags are rewritten, it means that iTunes has decided that the program name isn't in a database, and therefore must be wrong, and should be changed. In effect, iTunes is saying that I don't have the right to name my own stuff unless it's in their database, and that you are too stupid to be allowed to have the tags remain as they are. DO NOT ALLOW IT TO CHANGE THOSE TAGS!

Not only do the tags have specific and very important information in them - otherwise I would not spend a half an hour working on the for six stage sets - but that also changes the siganature of the file, and that can have bad effects. You cannot know for sure what is being changed by these assinine programs trying to think for you all the time, because they're written by corporations who have no morals and no qualms doing things behind your back, just because they can.

If those programs are changed, I cannot guarantee they are even valid anymore.
Damn, thanks Shannon! Ill go ahead and re-import the files into iTunes cuz they're all renamed. Glad I asked you man.
Shannon, some of your subs doesn't have tags while some others do, for example:

BASE is just named Become_A_Successful_Entrepreneur_-_3rd_Gen_Ultrasonic_Subliminal_(Silent), without any info on the tags whatsoever..

While MSS is named Maximum Sales Success 3rd Gen Ultrasonic Subliminal (Silent) complete with all the tags with your name as the artist, album, genre and all.. AM 5.0 also has complete tags and proper naming as well...

My question is, if I rename and fill in the info tags of those subs like BASE, US 3G and some others (which doesn't have any info in it), to make it more neat like MSS, will I screw up the actual file?

Will I need to re-download the original file?
I have since filled in every single tag for old products and when we move to the new store this won't be an issue, provided Shannon continues tagging as he has. Tagging it yourself will not alter the audio part of the file it is completely separate.

(08-13-2012, 05:55 PM)Tiesto Wrote: [ -> ]Shannon, some of your subs doesn't have tags while some others do, for example:

BASE is just named Become_A_Successful_Entrepreneur_-_3rd_Gen_Ultrasonic_Subliminal_(Silent), without any info on the tags whatsoever..

While MSS is named Maximum Sales Success 3rd Gen Ultrasonic Subliminal (Silent) complete with all the tags with your name as the artist, album, genre and all.. AM 5.0 also has complete tags and proper naming as well...

My question is, if I rename and fill in the info tags of those subs like BASE, US 3G and some others (which doesn't have any info in it), to make it more neat like MSS, will I screw up the actual file?

(08-13-2012, 08:00 PM)Andrew Wrote: [ -> ]I have since filled in every single tag for old products and when we move to the new store this won't be an issue, provided Shannon continues tagging as he has. Tagging it yourself will not alter the audio part of the file it is completely separate.

(08-13-2012, 05:55 PM)Tiesto Wrote: [ -> ]Shannon, some of your subs doesn't have tags while some others do, for example:

Great! Thanks Andrew!
So Andrew... can we get listed in the databases?
[quote='Andrew' pid='24362' dateline='1344916835']
I have since filled in every single tag for old products and when we move to the new store this won't be an issue, provided Shannon continues tagging as he has. Tagging it yourself will not alter the audio part of the file it is completely separate.

This is my 1st post.
Am I then able to rename the files to show up differently on my ipod without it hurting audio quality?

Here is why I want to do this.
I travel frequently and plan to use the subs with earphones or in an audio-quality compliant dock.
I don't want a friend to check out my ipod as friends are apt to do and see "Woman Magnet" , "Alpha Male' , Sex Magnet" - just because they wouldn't get it anyway - also it would suck if a co-worker did it.

Is this possible?
Simply renaming them should not affect them at all.
Tag changing has no effect on audio quality. Just don't let iTunes change the quality as it copies the files onto your iDevice.
Or the compression format... unless you're going to a lossless format.