Subliminal Talk

Full Version: YouTube self-improvement channels in 2020?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the past couple of months I've been watching some YouTube channels that are focused on self-improvement. While most of these have videos where the messages presented make sense, given who are making the videos (some of them having British or Australian accents) I'm not sure how applicable what some of them might present would be in an American city like New York City.

(links incoming)

Two such non-Americans include Andrew Kirby (more generalized) and Alexander Grace (more male-focused). Their messaging is presented clearly and often backed by science, but in the case of Alexander Grace in particular I'm not rightly sure how much of what he suggests or recommends as far as actions to take can apply successfully in New York City. I'm not sure where Kirby resides, but Grace has said he's Australian and presumably resides somewhere there.

There's an American, Better Bachelor, who definitely has a more male-focused slant but his stated intent is to also provide some levity in his videos. The man who calls himself "Joker" (a Full Metal Jacket reference rather than Batman reference) says he used to serve in the US military. Another American, Strong Successful Male, is pretty much all male-focused with his content. He has said he's a personal trainer. Both have said they each used to be married.

This is just a small sampling of the channels and videos I have started watching in my recent attempts to become better. I ask, though, even if what they present makes sense how do I know what's useful, helpful, a good direction in general and for me specifically? Without a reliable reference point (in this case men I know in real life who have had/currently have success similar to that which I seek) and no longer trusting my own judgment as to what is or will be "good enough" how do I reliably, consistently, and reasonably turn "this content makes sense" into "this leads or will lead me in a good direction" with a reasonably acceptable success rate?

I know in the past (a few years ago is when I last asked) Shannon has said that even knowing the dictionary definition of a thing is good enough for the subconscious to understand a concept and start formulating plans. While I expect this to remain, what about with regards to attempting to take in, understand, and reconcile new externally provided info and conclude it is genuinely useful, just a diversion, or flat out wrong?
if you ask me, my subcribs are like that:

Alpha male strategies (relationships and male-focused)
Coach Greg Adams (male focused- relationships focused, thanks for Catman)
Proctor Gallagher Instutie (personal dev. -- everything about subc, beliefs etc.)
a documentary channel in my language (not eng.)
Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell (generally knowloadge)
The rich dad channel, (robert kyosaki)
Be inspired (generally)
and some channels not english

I know this guy, Andrew Kirby . he is trying to explain stoic lifestyle. I watched him a long time ago, if I go learn about stoicism I would read stoic books first. Actually he doesn't know well about that topic.

for me books are better, there are a lot of channels in youtube, youtube is a wormhole itself already, I am asking people for channels to see if they related to my interests, if they I add them. I'll look others you mentioned. thanks.