Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Playing FLAC on apple products?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,
              I'm wondering if any of you play FLAC files on apple products? I ask because someone has asked me and I don't have an iphone or anything. I know apple makes it difficult because they are dodgy and try to force you to only use their format. Hopefully there's a simple way to do so.
Converting the file from flac to alac, is the same in Apple as flac. Need to find an app to do so. This is one possibility.
One possibility we look dimly upon, because then you're changing the program, cant't verify it came from us anymore, and doing exactly what Apple wants you to do: use their standard instead of the standard that everyone else uses.
I am using „Flacbox“, which suits me well when playing from portable ios devices. For desktop „VLC“ should prolly work.
I just stick to MP3s on my iPod and iPhone to be honest.

Changing the file in any way, no matter how they claim it changes, is still a risk of the subliminal content being wrecked due to the admittedly obscure stuff we listen to. I wouldn't trust that process at all.

I think MP3s are probably the safest bet in such a case.
(07-30-2020, 12:54 AM)Benjamin Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys,
              I'm wondering if any of you play FLAC files on apple products? I ask because someone has asked me and I don't have an iphone or anything. I know apple makes it difficult because they are dodgy and try to force you to only use their format. Hopefully there's a simple way to do so.

“VLC”

Free app, very easy to use, multiple options to transfer files (no need to use a cable or go through iTunes), plays FLAC flawlessly. VLC has been an institution on all platforms for many years, no need to look further.
(07-30-2020, 11:31 AM)yoshilee Wrote: [ -> ]I am using „Flacbox“, which suits me well when playing from portable ios devices. For desktop „VLC“ should prolly work.

VLC is available for mobile as well. That’s what I use it, it works perfectly. (Except I have not found a way to add the same track multiple times in a playlist, so I have to use a workaround and duplicate the file first.)
(07-30-2020, 05:17 PM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]I just stick to MP3s on my iPod and iPhone to be honest.

Changing the file in any way, no matter how they claim it changes, is still a risk of the subliminal content being wrecked due to the admittedly obscure stuff we listen to. I wouldn't trust that process at all.

I think MP3s are probably the safest bet in such a case.

I am not so sure that MP3 won’t be changed, Apple uses AAC, not MP3 internally. Right now I cannot verify whether MP3 stays in MP3 format or is converted to AAC when imported into iTunes/Apple Music but either way VLC is a safer bet because it won’t change the file format for sure. And as an added bonus it allows you to play FLAC and gain the extra (what is it 5%) effectiveness.
(07-30-2020, 07:13 PM)fab10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-30-2020, 11:31 AM)yoshilee Wrote: [ -> ]I am using „Flacbox“, which suits me well when playing from portable ios devices. For desktop „VLC“ should prolly work.

VLC is available for mobile as well. That’s what I use it, it works perfectly. (Except I have not found a way to add the same track multiple times in a playlist, so I have to use a workaround and duplicate the file first.)

I have personally found, as has my GF, that VLC for Android is frequently guilty of crashing in the middle of a playlist or mysteriously stopping playing it.  Hope that's not the case for Apple users.
(07-30-2020, 07:22 PM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-30-2020, 07:13 PM)fab10 Wrote: [ -> ]

I have personally found, as has my GF, that VLC for Android is frequently guilty of crashing in the middle of a playlist or mysteriously stopping playing it.  Hope that's not the case for Apple users.

No, it never crashed on me (and I have used it a lot)

Edit: but it now has issues adding files with the same name to the same playlist (our use case)
Cool, thanks guys.

Yeah I knew converting wasn't a good idea, hopefully one of these work for him.
is playing MP3 inferior to FLAC in regards to IML subs?
(08-18-2020, 08:01 AM)reki Wrote: [ -> ]is playing MP3 inferior to FLAC in regards to IML subs?

Yes, but not by much (can’t remember exactly how much %)
(08-18-2020, 08:03 AM)fab10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2020, 08:01 AM)reki Wrote: [ -> ]is playing MP3 inferior to FLAC in regards to IML subs?

Yes, but not by much (can’t remember exactly how much %)

Shannon has mentioned before that FLAC is about 3% more effective than MP3.
Pages: 1 2