Subliminal Talk
Religion and Religious Type Concepts Thread - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Other-Topics)
+--- Forum: The Chatter Box (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-The-Chatter-Box)
+--- Thread: Religion and Religious Type Concepts Thread (/Thread-Religion-and-Religious-Type-Concepts-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: The New Religion Thread - D.Ace - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 12:42 PM)SargeMaximus Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 12:18 PM)D.Ace Wrote: 'sup Sarge?

Well, been there myself in early adulthood as I recall. Been an agnostic, and now am back to having a faith.

Hey D.Ace. How did you choose a faith and is it one that people you know have? If so, did that play a role in your decision?

Is it one that people I know have? Yes, most of them.
Did that play a role in my decision? Indirectly yes, like "lemme experience it myself."

I was born and raised with not much good examples of the good side of having faith, I've been practicing the religion since I was a kid, with not much direction aside the classical Abrahamic theme of heaven and hell.
You can say that I practiced it by habit or by circumstance, as I grew older my social circle expanded as well, getting to know more people with their own backgrounds.
I even have a good friend, an atheist, whom I often discussed with about religion and life in general.

Lost my faith in religion couple years ago, which was funny because it was shortly after I finally made the highest bond between me and myself which was facilitated by the religious practices I did.
Being an agnostic, I tried to find the proof that the higher power doesn't exist.
Ironically, the more I tried to find the proof to deny religion, something in me that believed in a higher order or whatever you name it, grew stronger. I never told anyone about it, so what they perceived about me that time was me being unreligious.

Then things happened, signs were shown to me that I need to find it myself.
So here I am, back to faith and slowly building the connection I once lost.

What I could write is just as simple as I could convey, it's gonna take a whole lot more explanation, but I guess it could answer your question at least.

In short, raised with faith > practiced it by habit > questioning > "found god" > lost everything > close to being an atheist > living without any bound to religion > found the connection once again

RE: The New Religion Thread - SargeMaximus - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 01:08 PM)D.Ace Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 12:42 PM)SargeMaximus Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 12:18 PM)D.Ace Wrote: 'sup Sarge?

Well, been there myself in early adulthood as I recall. Been an agnostic, and now am back to having a faith.

Hey D.Ace. How did you choose a faith and is it one that people you know have? If so, did that play a role in your decision?

Is it one that people I know have? Yes, most of them.
Did that play a role in my decision? Indirectly yes, like "lemme experience it myself."

I was born and raised with not much good examples of the good side of having faith, I've been practicing the religion since I was a kid, with not much direction aside the classical Abrahamic theme of heaven and hell.
You can say that I practiced it by habit or by circumstance, as I grew older my social circle expanded as well, getting to know more people with their own backgrounds.
I even have a good friend, an atheist, whom I often discussed with about religion and life in general.

Lost my faith in religion couple years ago, which was funny because it was shortly after I finally made the highest bond between me and myself which was facilitated by the religious practices I did.
Being an agnostic, I tried to find the proof that the higher power doesn't exist.
Ironically, the more I tried to find the proof to deny religion, something in me that believed in a higher order or whatever you name it, grew stronger. I never told anyone about it, so what they perceived about me that time was me being unreligious.

Then things happened, signs were shown to me that I need to find it myself.
So here I am, back to faith and slowly building the connection I once lost.

What I could write is just as simple as I could convey, it's gonna take a whole lot more explanation, but I guess it could answer your question at least.

In short, raised with faith > practiced it by habit > questioning > "found god" > lost everything > close to being an atheist > living without any bound to religion > found the connection once again

Interesting. I've had a similar spiritual journey (raised with a religion, denounced it, found things that made me think it wasn't so simple and began to believe a bit in spiritual matters again), tho I did not return to the original faith, rather adopted a much broader understanding of spiritual matters.

However, recently I'm wondering if I should pick a religion for the sake of socializing.

I moved to the west part of the island after graduating from high school, 600 km away from home.
Three and a half years and 6000 miles later, I reside in a highly diversified environment.
It's rather cool how much change a decision could bring.
With that, of course I met a fine lot of people with different backgrounds.
And guess what? Religion never comes as an edge in socializing.
While of course at times like holidays or in a rather sensitive conversation, religion could be a factor.
But personally, it's only on the surface and rather shallow exchanges of words which sparked by a similar factor like religion.

What I want to say is, you've been through a lot, Sarge, you know it better.
And I believe you don't want to sell yourself short by considering to have a religion for the sake of socializing, it's not worth the journey.
Anyway it could diminish the effort of using the subs for self-acceptance and self-validation programs in it.

Except maybe that hot chick you met in the corner, turned to the church so that you might want to go there as well, lol.

(06-29-2017, 05:53 PM)D.Ace Wrote: I moved to the west part of the island after graduating from high school, 600 km away from home.
Three and a half years and 6000 miles later, I reside in a highly diversified environment.
It's rather cool how much change a decision could bring.
With that, of course I met a fine lot of people with different backgrounds.
And guess what? Religion never comes as an edge in socializing.
While of course at times like holidays or in a rather sensitive conversation, religion could be a factor.
But personally, it's only on the surface and rather shallow exchanges of words which sparked by a similar factor like religion.

Hmm. I'm not sure man. I mean, how much do family christmas dinners matter to people? Or ramadhan or whatnot? It's like a glue. One more thing you have in common with people.

(06-29-2017, 05:53 PM)D.Ace Wrote: What I want to say is, you've been through a lot, Sarge, you know it better.
And I believe you don't want to sell yourself short by considering to have a religion for the sake of socializing, it's not worth the journey.

Of course but it's the same as taking up a sport or hobby for socializing.

(06-29-2017, 05:53 PM)D.Ace Wrote: Anyway it could diminish the effort of using the subs for self-acceptance and self-validation programs in it.

Except maybe that hot chick you met in the corner, turned to the church so that you might want to go there as well, lol.

Lol, or maybe I could be her spiritual guide. :angel:

Thanks for sharing.

Haha, I bet so.
Well, if you happen to finally have a faith in one religion that you feel and believe is the best for the value you have, I'm glad for you then.
Cheers.

RE: The New Religion Thread - Daredevil - 06-29-2017

Hey Shannon how do you avoid sexual Karma from sleeping around which might lead to women having heartbreak and also handling the repercussions karmicaly of Manipulation for sex.

(06-29-2017, 06:15 PM)D.Ace Wrote: Haha, I bet so.
Well, if you happen to finally have a faith in one religion that you feel and believe is the best for the value you have, I'm glad for you then.
Cheers.

Thanks man. I wouldn't say I do but I wouldn't say I don't either. Something tells me it's gonna be a life long journey.

RE: The New Religion Thread - Shannon - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 06:24 PM)Daredevil Wrote: Hey Shannon how do you avoid sexual Karma from sleeping around which might lead to women having heartbreak and also handling the repercussions karmicaly of Manipulation for sex.

You know how I advocate 100% honesty? Well there is no karma associated with me doing what I want if the women know what I am doing, and their interaction with me is their choice. If they know what I am doing, and they fall in love and experience heartbreak, that's not on me. No karma because I was honest and up front.

I'm not sure what you are referring to by manipulation for sex. DMSI? DMSI influences people, but does not take away their free will or freedom of choice, user side or affected side. That's why CatMan and Swiss and Ricardo can still resist, and why affected side resistance exists. What DMSI is doing is not removing personal responsibility for one's choices and actions, and therefore, there is no karma because there is no manipulation. Influence, but not manipulation. That free will thing is why it's been so hard to develop - I'm not going to take that away from anyone. User side or affected.

RE: The New Religion Thread - Benjamin - 06-30-2017

Quote:Hey Shannon how do you avoid sexual Karma from sleeping around which might lead to women having heartbreak and also handling the repercussions karmicaly of Manipulation for sex.

Sounds like bullshit guilt like most of religion around sex.

RE: The New Religion Thread - eternity - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 05:52 AM)SargeMaximus Wrote: Cool. I didn't know you had tattoos. If it's not too personal, what are they? How did you decide?

And yeah, a good artist makes sense. I'd hate to have a great idea for a tattoo and the guy/girl ruins it. :o

had to post this over here because my tattoos are spiritual in nature. I have the 7 chakras tatooed on my spine, and the kundalini energy going in a double helix pattern through the chakras on my back. it covers every inch of skin on my back XD. $1000 tatoo --- and i stil lhave 2 more sessions to go to finish it X_X

on my left shoulder I have an OM symbol inside a lotus

on my right inner bicep, I have sanskrit mantra "Shanti Shanti Shanti"

and my 4th tattoo is something my friend drew, and it's on my left forearm

RE: The New Religion Thread - SargeMaximus - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 07:48 AM)eternity Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 05:52 AM)SargeMaximus Wrote: Cool. I didn't know you had tattoos. If it's not too personal, what are they? How did you decide?

And yeah, a good artist makes sense. I'd hate to have a great idea for a tattoo and the guy/girl ruins it. :o

had to post this over here because my tattoos are spiritual in nature. I have the 7 chakras tatooed on my spine, and the kundalini energy going in a double helix pattern through the chakras on my back. it covers every inch of skin on my back XD. $1000 tatoo --- and i stil lhave 2 more sessions to go to finish it X_X

on my left shoulder I have an OM symbol inside a lotus

on my right inner bicep, I have sanskrit mantra "Shanti Shanti Shanti"

and my 4th tattoo is something my friend drew, and it's on my left forearm

:o

That is so epic!

I love that. The chakras and the kundalini. Very cool. I hope that one has a good artist!

I've thought of getting something similar. Maybe a pentagram or something but I'm not sure if I should embrace the dark stuff or go more "good" if you know what I mean.

I mean, you can be a "bad" badass, or a "good" badass.

Have you ever seen the movie "Eastern Promises"?

I kind of like Viggo's back tat of the cathedral, but again, do I really want to subscribe to a denomination?

I'm thinking I need to have symbols that are universal (as in, something almost anyone can understand and won't be denomination-specific) but will also strongly represent my values/story.

How did you decide on yours?

Oh and a bit lesser of a question: Are any of them in color?

RE: The New Religion Thread - RisingSon - 07-06-2017

Haha. You guys are sooo style over substance. If you want to raise your Kundalini or become a black magician and summon demons through a pentagram, just do it. -Realistically, I should put a warning here because messing with occult can destroy the ignorant.-

Yeah, some cool tattoos may impress the shallow chicks posing at a yoga studio but will rarely be a gateway towards enlightenment. Thus, I'd have to say you are wallowing in maya (illusion). Individuals had to be tested and initiated into magical potency in the past for good reason.

In sincerity, it's Aum, not Om btw. My chakras are active and spinning just fine, thanks.

RE: The New Religion Thread - SargeMaximus - 07-06-2017

Dude the idea is to match ones style with ones substance. They're not mutually exclusive. Chillax bro.

RE: The New Religion Thread - eternity - 07-06-2017

LOL this clown over here has a bone to pick. hater's gonna hate.

Anyway Sarge, the pentagram has an unfair connotation with the dark. It's actually a representation of occult in general. If you got one of those, make it a badass looking one Cool

No I've never seen that movie.

And it's interesting that you mention denomination stuff. i was born hindu and indian, so the chakras and the OM is part of my culture. That said, it was a bigger pull for me to get those tattoos. but my actual beliefs don't really align with any particular religion or spiritual belief, because i've gotten to a point in my spiritual seeking that I find them all good. With that said, I would NOT get a cross tattooed on me because i don't identify as christian. But if there was a design that incorporated the cross with other spiritual concepts that don't explicitly display christianity, i'd definitely consider it.

as for your last question, the back piece will be in color eventually. each chakra will be colored in. but the other ones are plain black/grey Smile

For what it's worth, i am going to "embrace the dark" in that I am thinking about getting tattoos on my right arm that are sigils and/or talismans... we'll see how long that idea lasts ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)