Subliminal Talk
A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Website and Subliminal Feedback (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Website-and-Subliminal-Feedback)
+--- Forum: Frequently Asked Questions & Resources (FAQ) (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Resources-FAQ)
+--- Thread: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting (/Thread-A-question-regarding-pausing-subs-and-restarting)

A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - J. Jay - 09-05-2012

I was wondering if it would make a difference if you paused the subliminal track and then picked up from where you left off, or is it more effective if you listen to the track from start to finish with no breaks inbetween?

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Donjuan - 09-05-2012

I would love to hear about this too..

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Yuri - 09-05-2012

same here, i usually pause it.

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Shannon - 09-05-2012

The way they are built, this is not the best practice. The build techniques result in a complex multi-layered weave of interacting parts, which all function at different rates. If you pause it, you may be cutting off one or more statements in ways that can be misunderstood by the subconscious.

However, the flip side to this is, you'd probably have to do it a thousand times during use to make any impact at all, and even then it is uncertain how negative it would be.

Still, I take a lot of precautions during build to make sure this possibility is never part of the build process itself.

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Sean - 09-05-2012

That reminds me of another question: what's the minimum effective time for listening? I tend to leave the CD in my car, and it will sometimes play for only five minutes as I drive to another location during the day. This is more out of curiosity than anything else, because the trickling stream is pleasant to listen to, regardless.

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Shannon - 09-05-2012

(09-05-2012, 07:13 AM)Sean Wrote: That reminds me of another question: what's the minimum effective time for listening? I tend to leave the CD in my car, and it will sometimes play for only five minutes as I drive to another location during the day. This is more out of curiosity than anything else, because the trickling stream is pleasant to listen to, regardless.

Since ANY exposure has an impact, the minimum effective time to listen would be equivalent to one atomic unit for the script expression. Even one minute, therefore, will make a difference. Naturally, as always, more is better.

(09-05-2012, 07:40 AM)Shannon Wrote: Since ANY exposure has an impact, the minimum effective time to listen would be equivalent to one atomic unit for the script expression. Even one minute, therefore, will make a difference. Naturally, as always, more is better.

Sweet. That's the answer I was hoping you'd give.

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Yuri - 09-05-2012

well i usually over listen so whats the good/down side of that?

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Serris - 09-05-2012

(09-05-2012, 08:55 AM)biakoia Wrote: well i usually over listen so whats the good/down side of that?

Yes, I am curious what happen if you go over 12 or 16 hours a day?

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Benjamin - 09-05-2012

Oh I never thought of this, I pause it alot. At night if I have to get up to goto the toilet then I pause it. Same as when i'm on the computer and have to go do something else.

But it could be the same thing if I just leave and come back and I have missed a bit and it's halfway through a statement if I just left it to play anyway wouldn't it?

-Ben

I think there's a difference between pausing and coming back to a playing sub. For instance, if you come into a room as a conversation is occurring, it fades into being from a noise to words you can understand. This is distinct from hitting Play on your DVR, and catching half a sentence from the show you paused earlier.

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Shannon - 09-07-2012

(09-05-2012, 08:55 AM)biakoia Wrote: well i usually over listen so whats the good/down side of that?

Listening too much is usually tiring and causes the brain to have a backlog of stuff to process. If you find yourself becoming more and more exhausted, you might be listening too much.

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Shannon - 09-07-2012

(09-05-2012, 07:56 PM)benjamin Wrote: Oh I never thought of this, I pause it alot. At night if I have to get up to goto the toilet then I pause it. Same as when i'm on the computer and have to go do something else.

But it could be the same thing if I just leave and come back and I have missed a bit and it's halfway through a statement if I just left it to play anyway wouldn't it?

-Ben

Why would you pause it, ever? Just let it play, and forget about it. The only reason to pause it would be to prevent exposure for someone who shouldn't be exposed.

You'd be amazed how much exposure you're missing by doing that. I can set my laptop playing in my kitchen, at 100% volume on the system mixer, and go anywhere in my house and be getting exposure, as long as all doorways leading there are open.

RE: A question regarding pausing subs and restarting - Sean - 09-07-2012

I leave it playing all day long when I work from home, and give myself an 8-hour break from 2-10pm, and pausing it when I'm on a phone call. At work, I'll play it over my headphones.