Subliminal Talk
Caution to Everyone - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Other-Topics)
+--- Forum: The Chatter Box (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-The-Chatter-Box)
+--- Thread: Caution to Everyone (/Thread-Caution-to-Everyone)

Caution to Everyone - Tristian - 07-30-2018

Would like to mention the importance in checking the MD5 Checksum of the files you listen to. I have recently checked mine and found out the sub I have been listening to for the pst six months was corrupted which could explain for the lack of results.

RE: Caution to Everyone - Zane - 07-31-2018

(07-30-2018, 11:12 PM)Tristian Wrote: Would like to mention the importance in checking the MD5 Checksum of the files you listen to. I have recently checked mine and found out the sub I have been listening to for the pst six months was corrupted which could explain for the lack of results.

How do I check that out?

RE: Caution to Everyone - Tristian - 07-31-2018

With every sub Shannon posts a txt file with the MD5 hashes. You need to download an MD5 hash checker - I use gtkhash. Once installed, set preferences to MD5. Then through the software you open the mp3/flac in one box, copy and past the Hash value in another and then run it. If the file is fine then ticks will appear.

RE: Caution to Everyone - Raz - 07-31-2018

(07-31-2018, 12:04 AM)Zane Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 11:12 PM)Tristian Wrote: Would like to mention the importance in checking the MD5 Checksum of the files you listen to. I have recently checked mine and found out the sub I have been listening to for the pst six months was corrupted which could explain for the lack of results.

How do I check that out?

Download the XX_MD5Sum_Hashes.txt that comes with the files to a specific subliminal you purchased.

If you are running Windows download a checksum integrity verifier. There are a bunch out there, all free. Like this one coming directly from M$. Follow the instructions for the program and compare the values in the .txt file with the values you get when checking a .flac/.mp3 file with said program.

If you are running Linux open a terminal and go to the correct subliminal file directory:

Code:
$ cd /mnt/<path.to.subliminal.directory>

Then run the following command in the directory:

Code:
$ ls

Highlight and copy the complete name of the subliminal file you want to check and paste it after the following command and hit enter:

Code:
$ md5sum <name.flac>

md5sum calculates the hash and prints out something like this:

Code:
7fe26d38091c274bf2d91b024dbad460  Ultra_Success_Luck_Magnifier_B_Side_5_5G_Ultrasonic_Subliminal_%28Silent%29.flac

Then simply compare the freshly calculated value to the corresponding value in the XX_MD5Sum_Hashes.txt.

RE: Caution to Everyone - Tristian - 07-31-2018

(07-31-2018, 05:47 AM)Frosted Wrote: There are none for older subliminals are there :/. Just checked and couldn't find anything. Although I've noticed results from them so they're probably fine.

This isnt just localised to server to computer which would suggest a serverside corruption but also computer to mp3 player. Just becuase you have had no problems, Frosted, it doesent mean others are in the same situation. I would encourage everyone to check the hash of the files they downlod in the final medium they choose to play it.

RE: Caution to Everyone - kalmah0804 - 08-01-2018

WHat happens when you transfer files from a computer (or more specificailly, a cloud-based file server) onto a listening device such as a cell phone? Is it possible for data to become corrupted upon file transfer? Is there a checksum checker for phones, or is this completely unnecessary?

Also, where can I find the checksum data to older subs like AM6? I don't see any type of files like that in my downloads folder on my account anywhere.

RE: Caution to Everyone - Tristian - 08-01-2018

(08-01-2018, 01:27 PM)kalmah0804 Wrote: WHat happens when you transfer files from a computer (or more specificailly, a cloud-based file server) onto a listening device such as a cell phone? Is it possible for data to become corrupted upon file transfer? Is there a checksum checker for phones, or is this completely unnecessary?

Also, where can I find the checksum data to older subs like AM6? I don't see any type of files like that in my downloads folder on my account anywhere.

What I have done is plug my mp3 into my computer so that i can see the files on my mp3, then use software onm my computer to check the file already on the mp3 against the hash. I am unsure about where to find older hash values.

RE: Caution to Everyone - Raz - 08-02-2018

There are check sum verifier apps for smartphones. Here are some for android:

AFV File Verifier in Google Play as a starter. Or Hashr from F-Droid.

RE: Caution to Everyone - Havana - 08-02-2018

Users should post their checksums for older subs and if (for example) 3 of them match, they're probably correct.