Subliminal Talk
The Server Issues Thread - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Website and Subliminal Feedback (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Website-and-Subliminal-Feedback)
+--- Forum: Forum, Website & Shopping (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Forum-Website-Shopping)
+--- Thread: The Server Issues Thread (/Thread-The-Server-Issues-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Shannon's Journal Discussion - eternity - 12-08-2016

new sub idea:
Develop maximum server load limiter

RE: Shannon's Journal Discussion - Shannon - 12-08-2016

(12-08-2016, 07:53 AM)eternitys_child Wrote: just to help sort out the issue, if there is a bot that is mass spamming the site, it's pretty easy to find out. i know a couple things about seo (and it looks like some of our brothers on the board also know about seo! awesome!)

Since the problem appearing has to do with "reaching maximum limit", i assume it's due to server overload. therefore, it's wise to check why the server is overloaded. is it purely from traffic? 5 minutes (or less) in google analytics and/or google webmasters tools will help identify if it really is from bot traffic or from malicious intent. rather than us assuming it's a member of this board

(12-08-2016, 02:55 AM)Shannon Wrote: I've made Andrew aware of the relevant posts on the disney thing.

(06-19-2016, 11:11 AM)eternitys_child Wrote: If search engines are really sending that much traffic to this site, Andrew can take a look at Google analytics and see where the traffic is coming from and see exactly what pages it is going TO.

From what I know of SEO, search engines stopped giving as much credit to sources from forums, as it used to be a major blackhat tactic to increase a sites visibility on the search engines. Google's panda and penguin update long since made forum sources obsolete forms of SEO. And if I'm not mistaken, hummingbird update actually causes penalty if these tactics haven't been cleaned up, in an effort to de spam the Web

Plus, you would think things like "benjamin" or "yeah" or "dissonance" would cause the same type of trends in their respective journals. As those are common words, directly used in usernames on the forum.

But I must say I am mighty suspicious myself. There do exist software that send massive amount of traffic to websites. It's a form of malicious attack, along the lines of hacking but without compromising your security. It just floods the system.

I implore IML to look at Google analytics and see where the traffic is being directed from. It's pretty easy to spot something suspicious.

Andrew is going to be here in about an hour to explain what he has found. It's not what you think.

RE: Shannon's Journal Discussion - eternity - 12-08-2016

(12-08-2016, 01:15 PM)Andrew Wrote: Short explanation will have to do right now - my day is a little chaotic.

Basically, DLUSA's computer, browser, internet... whatever it may be is bugged. We will be reaching out to him about possible details so he can fix it. It is constantly reconnecting to whatever page he is on. I will be modding the server throughout the day to impose a limit to how many times a visitor can contact the server before getting rejected from the server completely for -probably 20 minutes or so is what I'm thinking. So if DLUSA is unable to fix his computer/internet issue he will largely be unable to use the forum until it is fixed.

It has nothing to do with his name and he will not be asked to change it. His name has, as some people have mentioned, virtually zero impact to search engines and robots.

Any notion that he is doing this on purpose is pure speculation and there is no evidence at all at this time to support that.

All subjects like this need to be in the Website suggestions forum, and every mention of the topic in this journal will be moved into a new thread by either myself or Ben. This is NOT the area to be posting about problems with the store or journal as I do not read this thread and future problems posted here will be moved.

thank you for whatever you did. the forum is going at light speed now

RE: The Server Issues Thread - Andrew - 12-09-2016

(12-08-2016, 02:26 PM)eternitys_child Wrote:
(12-08-2016, 01:15 PM)Andrew Wrote: Short explanation will have to do right now - my day is a little chaotic.

Basically, DLUSA's computer, browser, internet... whatever it may be is bugged. We will be reaching out to him about possible details so he can fix it. It is constantly reconnecting to whatever page he is on. I will be modding the server throughout the day to impose a limit to how many times a visitor can contact the server before getting rejected from the server completely for -probably 20 minutes or so is what I'm thinking. So if DLUSA is unable to fix his computer/internet issue he will largely be unable to use the forum until it is fixed.

It has nothing to do with his name and he will not be asked to change it. His name has, as some people have mentioned, virtually zero impact to search engines and robots.

Any notion that he is doing this on purpose is pure speculation and there is no evidence at all at this time to support that.

All subjects like this need to be in the Website suggestions forum, and every mention of the topic in this journal will be moved into a new thread by either myself or Ben. This is NOT the area to be posting about problems with the store or journal as I do not read this thread and future problems posted here will be moved.

thank you for whatever you did. the forum is going at light speed now

Well, I hadn't done anything yet, but I completed the mods a couple hours ago. If they are not working correctly, I will know soon enough.

RE: The Server Issues Thread - Spareness - 12-09-2016

Now, I'm thinking about the pipeline configuration problem (or bug) in DisneyLandUSA's browser. Because I once read a pipeline configuration change in browser can cause problems, so many websites block the visitor's browser that uses aggressive pipeline configuration.

Can you make sure if that is what causing problem on the server, Andrew?

Edit: This is what I'm talking about https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/956139 and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.pipelining#Related_bugs

I've looked at all the details from a tech standpoint and I see multiple ways /points of failure that could cause something like this. What I'm sure about is we've worked with the person in question over support and we are completely confident that between the two there is no way this was intentionally malicious - from him.

Basically, we've asked him to bring his computer in for repairs and if that doesn't work call his internet company to come out and left a letter for him to show them that will allow them to fix it on-site.

I won't get into any more detail than I've gotten so I realize I may not have answered your question but this is the furthest I will go with tech discussion detail on the forums... you'll notice I lean towards layman's terms in all my answers. It's just due to personal and a bit of our business policy when it comes to simplicity and privacy, as I realize plenty of you could fully understand the details if I went there. So nothing personal if anyone out there wants more details from me than I give on the forum.

RE: The Server Issues Thread - 4Kingdoms - 12-09-2016

Is this just my end?? I'd like to purchase some subliminals and keep getting this message...

This site can’t be reached

www.subliminal-shop.com took too long to respond.

RE: The Server Issues Thread - Spiritman - 12-09-2016

(12-09-2016, 01:55 PM)4Kingdoms Wrote: Is this just my end?? I'd like to purchase some subliminals and keep getting this message...

This site can’t be reached

www.subliminal-shop.com took too long to respond.

No it is not just your end, I am having the same problem.

Yeah, I just made a post about it. This one is totally out of my hands, host is having a large portion of their network ddos'd. When Ben told me the store was down today, all I could do was laugh after all the server nonsense I've delt with in the last few weeks.

Always frustrating when there's nothing I can do about it, but at least this one doesn't need to be fixed by me...