Subliminal Talk
MBTI type and resistance to subs - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Other-Topics)
+--- Forum: The Chatter Box (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-The-Chatter-Box)
+--- Thread: MBTI type and resistance to subs (/Thread-MBTI-type-and-resistance-to-subs)

Pages: 1 2

MBTI type and resistance to subs - mat422 - 09-23-2016

This is just a hunch I've had, I could be completely wrong though. If you know MBTI and cognitive functions I think those with Fi as their dom function encounter a lot more resistance than other types. My reasoning for this is those that have Fi build a system of values that they hold true. These values are held in place solely by how they feel about them. It could be a completely screwed up set of values, but to them it's the "truth". Could be my biased experience but I think INFPs in general have to watch out for this. Besides objectively looking at what their values are and being open to criticism(not two of the INFPs strongest points) it seems like they can very easily get pigeonholed into a limiting belief system without even realizing it.

But of course there's no universal guarantee that MBTI type will correlate to the amount of resistance experienced. It just seems like with dom Ti types they are able to step back more and say "Ok this is messing me up how can I change that?" They'll see a logical type of pattern in their thinking and sort of debug it. Whereas a dom Fi user might end up just stonewalling everything because it doesn't feel right. Logic has a hard time touching that level of stubbornness. The flipside of this seems to be once the subliminals do get through to Fi users they'd be more likely to continue holding onto those new instilled values that improve their life. It just seems like getting there might be the difficult task.

What do you guys think?

RE: MBTI type and resistance to subs - DarthXedonias - 09-23-2016

I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. This is kinda of why I opened that other MBTI thread a long time ago. I wanted to see if there might be some similar personality types on the board and if those same types had lots of resistance. From last glance it seemed like "most" of the people on this board are NTs (Particularly INTP/Js) and NFs (Mostly INFPs). It should be remembered though that Personality only plays so much of a role in how someone reacts to subs. Theres are still other factors you need to consider (how much trauma the person has been through,etc). Though the more we know about each individual factor, "maybe" the more we can kinda of predict if someone might/is stonewall(ing) something. Something tells me though once full 6G comes out though that this might be a moot point. I think Shannon said 6G affects even his most resistant testers.

RE: MBTI type and resistance to subs - mat422 - 09-24-2016

(09-23-2016, 07:56 AM)DarthXedonias Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. This is kinda of why I opened that other MBTI thread a long time ago. I wanted to see if there might be some similar personality types on the board and if those same types had lots of resistance. From last glance it seemed like "most" of the people on this board are NTs (Particularly INTP/Js) and NFs (Mostly INFPs). It should be remembered though that Personality only plays so much of a role in how someone reacts to subs. Theres are still other factors you need to consider (how much trauma the person has been through,etc). Though the more we know about each individual factor, "maybe" the more we can kinda of predict if someone might/is stonewall(ing) something. Something tells me though once full 6G comes out though that this might be a moot point. I think Shannon said 6G affects even his most resistant testers.

Yeah Shannon seems to be making some really important breakthroughs with overcoming resistance. I know he listed the personality types at one point that he based his subliminals on. From what I remember he stated the emotional core personality types were harder to get to respond to the subliminal.

RE: MBTI type and resistance to subs - JackOfHearts - 09-24-2016

I don't know how you can trust MBTI stuff guys. I read and tried it on myself once but I just can't trust it. It seems so not complete, like it doesn't bring much to the table.

The main problem I see in this is that you are the one deciding what type you are. In the first place you read those kinds of things to understand your personality because you don't know your personality. So if you are the one choosing the type you could be biased. And if someone is choosing the type for you it could be even worse.
And even if you really found your type, well it doesn't mean much since you already knew it. A human personality is so complexes, you can't define it with just a few letters like that.
But well if I had only that I would probably use it that but it's not the case far from it.

In my opinion you would be better with something like graphology or face reading.

On the other hand about finding who will resist the most I found a way to tell already.
I tested a technique on the forum member that I have the information I needed and until now everything seems to match with what I read. So it seems to work. I may need more data though but with what I have it seems to be conclusive already.

Even for you Mat422 even though I don't have the complete picture. But it seems to match with how much you have resisted until now.

RE: MBTI type and resistance to subs - mat422 - 09-25-2016

(09-24-2016, 01:17 PM)Alpha360 Wrote: I don't know how you can trust MBTI stuff guys. I read and tried it on myself once but I just can't trust it. It seems so not complete, like it doesn't bring much to the table.

The main problem I see in this is that you are the one deciding what type you are. In the first place you read those kinds of things to understand your personality because you don't know your personality. So if you are the one choosing the type you could be biased. And if someone is choosing the type for you it could be even worse.
And even if you really found your type, well it doesn't mean much since you already knew it. A human personality is so complexes, you can't define it with just a few letters like that.
But well if I had only that I would probably use it that but it's not the case far from it.

In my opinion you would be better with something like graphology or face reading.

On the other hand about finding who will resist the most I found a way to tell already.
I tested a technique on the forum member that I have the information I needed and until now everything seems to match with what I read. So it seems to work. I may need more data though but with what I have it seems to be conclusive already.

Even for you Mat422 even though I don't have the complete picture. But it seems to match with how much you have resisted until now.

Did you read up on the cognitive functions? MBTI to me is less personality and more how different individuals process information from the world around us. A lot of those pages on the internet that have a personality write up are flawed because they are vague and have nothing to do with the actual cognitive functions. It's definitely not complete, but most things aren't. I use it to gain a greater understanding of how individuals interact with the world around them and how they process things. Personalities can be very complex, but I've found that there are a lot of similarities in thinking and perceptions among similar types.

Sounds interesting. Anything to gain greater insight into why so much resistance is exhibited is always good.

RE: MBTI type and resistance to subs - Life - 09-25-2016

If you're referring to negative times as resistance this is necessary nothing ever good came easy. If you're just not noticing anything you're probably not aware of the emotions enough

RE: MBTI type and resistance to subs - JackOfHearts - 09-25-2016

(09-25-2016, 09:27 AM)mat422 Wrote:
(09-24-2016, 01:17 PM)Alpha360 Wrote: I don't know how you can trust MBTI stuff guys. I read and tried it on myself once but I just can't trust it. It seems so not complete, like it doesn't bring much to the table.

Did you read up on the cognitive functions? MBTI to me is less personality and more how different individuals process information from the world around us. A lot of those pages on the internet that have a personality write up are flawed because they are vague and have nothing to do with the actual cognitive functions. It's definitely not complete, but most things aren't. I use it to gain a greater understanding of how individuals interact with the world around them and how they process things. Personalities can be very complex, but I've found that there are a lot of similarities in thinking and perceptions among similar types.

Sounds interesting. Anything to gain greater insight into why so much resistance is exhibited is always good.

Quote:Favorite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world? This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).

Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning? This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).

Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances? This is called Thinking (T) or Feeling (F).

Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options? This is called Judging (J) or Perceiving (P).

Your Personality Type: When you decide on your preference in each category, you have your own personality type, which can be expressed as a code with four letters.

The 16 personality types of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® instrument are listed here as they are often shown in what is called a "type table."
My main problem with that system is that you have to chose which type you are.
On the first question I would say introverted but on the second I'm not sure at all.
The tools is too hard to use that's why I don't use it. Anything which you have to chose which type you are is biased to me.
But I would have to admit I didn't study the subject much on MBTI mainly because it didn't seem good enough for me.
Where can I read about those function?

Edit: This is mainly my personality coming out as I doubt everything that doesn't seems reliable enough.

(09-25-2016, 09:52 AM)Big Boss Wrote: If you're referring to negative times as resistance this is necessary nothing ever good came easy. If you're just not noticing anything you're probably not aware of the emotions enough

I don't agree with that. A lot of things come easy sometimes. The no pain no gain thing is flawed to me. Some change come effortlessly.
You should revisit AM6 method when it was build and how it's supposed to be working. A lot of it is supposed to come effortlessly, though sometimes there is pain, resistance occur but the goal was to strive for the least resistance possible.

Lol you're saying you disagree but a lot in that statement is exactly what I meant. You don't know what feels good unless there has been an experience of pain.

My advice is to tell that negativity is just temporary. Be grateful for the good times

I misunderstood you then.

It's alright let's address this resistance topic. The more people can see negativity for what it is the more fulfillment

RE: MBTI type and resistance to subs - mat422 - 09-26-2016

(09-25-2016, 12:33 PM)Alpha360 Wrote:
(09-25-2016, 09:27 AM)mat422 Wrote:

Quote:Favorite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world? This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).

Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning? This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).

Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances? This is called Thinking (T) or Feeling (F).

Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options? This is called Judging (J) or Perceiving (P).

Your Personality Type: When you decide on your preference in each category, you have your own personality type, which can be expressed as a code with four letters.

The 16 personality types of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® instrument are listed here as they are often shown in what is called a "type table."
My main problem with that system is that you have to chose which type you are.
On the first question I would say introverted but on the second I'm not sure at all.
The tools is too hard to use that's why I don't use it. Anything which you have to chose which type you are is biased to me.
But I would have to admit I didn't study the subject much on MBTI mainly because it didn't seem good enough for me.
Where can I read about those function?

Edit: This is mainly my personality coming out as I doubt everything that doesn't seems reliable enough.

I'm definitely with you there as far as the bias goes. Unfortunately you have to be honest with MBTI to get anything out of it. But most people have lived their lives wanting to be a certain way and they'll unconsciously gravitate towards the descriptions that seem the most appealing. Especially with men, they are more likely to peg themselves as a thinking type because in western society logic is highly valued over feeling. That's why a lot of the time people type themselves wrong, that and they don't take an official test.

Anyway here's a bit of light stuff to give you an idea of how much more in depth MBTI goes and how it's linked to Carl Jung's work. http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Cognitive-Functions/index.cfm

RE: MBTI type and resistance to subs - JackOfHearts - 09-26-2016

If I had to guess I would say the sensing type is the earth element, the intuition type is fire element, the feeling type is the water element and the thinking type is the air element.

The extra or intro would be the positive or negative pole, yin/yang. But it doesn't match completely as fire/intuition element is always yang.

Based on this incomplete picture Mat422 would be intra sensing and extra intuition mainly.
I would put extra intuition first.

DarkXedonias would be extra intuition and extra thinking, I would say extra thinking first.

RE: MBTI type and resistance to subs - eternity - 09-26-2016

chaosvrgn knows a good deal about MBTI. He may be able to shed some light on this.

As far as Alpha's sentiment on not trusting MBTI, I think it's you may only be getting a surface level picture of what it really is all about. Just like in Astrology, if you look only at someone's sun sign and ASC, you're getting a completely inaccurate picture of the person. Similarly, looking at someone as Introverted Intuitive Sensing Judging without knowing how all 4 of the variables work together is a completely inaccurate picture of the person.

Astrologically speaking, you need to know all the planets, their placements, their interactions with each other, their strength, etc. Likewise, You need to know each Cognitive function, their interactions with each other, how much each trait is expressed in the individual, etc.

For instance, I'm an ENFP, but that does NOT mean I'm just the extroverted version of the INFP. There's so much more to it than that.

If I were you, alpha, I would take the MBTI test from 2 or 3 different sources. For myself, I test ENFP no matter which test I take, when I take it, or which frame of mind I am in. I thought I surely would have changed after AM6, but no, still ENFP. Thought the same after doing SM3, but no, still ENFP. I thought SURELY during BASE, since my thinking had changed to MUCH MORE practical and business like, I thought I MUST have changed! but no, still ENFP.

There's another thread in the chatterbox which has links to two tests. Find out your type (you don't get to choose your type, I don't understand how that was interpreted that way), and look into the personality traits, you'll probably understand more. And yes, being authentic while taking the test is of course IMPORTANT. But if your personality usually answers questions quickly, do the same on the MBTI, since that is part of your personality. If you overanalyze each question naturally, do hte same on the MBTI. Just be yourself while taking the test, and your result should be accurate.

now, back to the OP's sentiment on MBTI types and resistance.... Hmm...... I certainly am less resistant to these subs. Likely because I am inherently open to unorthodox concepts, and don't need 100% irrefutable proof to believe things to be true. I also am very open to being wrong, therefore allowing novel ideas and/or completely groundbreaking revelations into my mind which overwrite previous programming. These two traits alone are enough to lower resistance to subs a considerable degree. And sure enough, the MBTI tests ask questions along those lines. I only know of one other ENFP on the boards. A user named yeah! if he sees this, maybe he can shed some light on his experience of resistance being an ENFP. So I can't give any conclusive opinion or statement on the matter, but I hope my experiences helped at least a little bit.