Subliminal Talk
occasional crackling with ultrasonic, do you guys get it too? - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Website and Subliminal Feedback (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Website-and-Subliminal-Feedback)
+--- Forum: Frequently Asked Questions & Resources (FAQ) (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Resources-FAQ)
+--- Thread: occasional crackling with ultrasonic, do you guys get it too? (/Thread-occasional-crackling-with-ultrasonic-do-you-guys-get-it-too)

occasional crackling with ultrasonic, do you guys get it too? - dissonance - 04-20-2015

I often get crackling (almost always) in the first 10 seconds or so of an ultrasonic file, then it becomes silent for the rest, and then crackles for 10 seconds occasionaly (once or twice each playback of the file, often times in the same spots). Do you guys get this too? And is this ok? Did you guys get results from listening even with this momentary crackling?

RE: occasional crackling with ultrasonic, do you guys get it too? - Natious - 04-20-2015

(04-20-2015, 01:30 PM)dissonance Wrote: I often get crackling (almost always) in the first 10 seconds or so of an ultrasonic file, then it becomes silent for the rest, and then crackles for 10 seconds occasionaly (once or twice each playback of the file, often times in the same spots). Do you guys get this too? And is this ok? Did you guys get results from listening even with this momentary crackling?

I get the same thing with 20khz speakers, but the effect of the sub seems to come through. It might be that it loses some effect though compared to 22khz speakers for example. To me it doesn't happen every time, maybe 1/3 times when the sub starts from the beginning.

RE: occasional crackling with ultrasonic, do you guys get it too? - Shannon - 04-20-2015

I suspect that what is happening is that your speakers are rated for 20 kHz but are just on the edge of it, and you get initial and occasional thereafter speaker distortion. If it's not significant amounts of time, it should not be a problem.

RE: occasional crackling with ultrasonic, do you guys get it too? - dissonance - 04-20-2015

Ahhhh ok this explains it then, if it is indeed true. Much thanks.

RE: occasional crackling with ultrasonic, do you guys get it too? - Natious - 04-21-2015

(04-20-2015, 04:36 PM)Shannon Wrote: I suspect that what is happening is that your speakers are rated for 20 kHz but are just on the edge of it, and you get initial and occasional thereafter speaker distortion. If it's not significant amounts of time, it should not be a problem.

That sounds about right, wasn't an expensive pair of speakers, sound quality is good though and they are logitech who doesn't make the worst speakers imo. Apparently they just lack the high end in that case.

RE: occasional crackling with ultrasonic, do you guys get it too? - eternity - 07-09-2016

for some reason the flac version of BASE2.1 is causing distortion with the particular laptop and headphone combo that i have used many times in the past. these same headphones have never crackled before, only for this particular flac file...

is it because i'm playing FLAC on VLC?

Edit: i downloaded audacity and the FLAC works flawlessly on it. problem solved