Subliminal Talk
Will these speakers work? - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Website and Subliminal Feedback (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Website-and-Subliminal-Feedback)
+--- Forum: Frequently Asked Questions & Resources (FAQ) (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Resources-FAQ)
+--- Thread: Will these speakers work? (/Thread-Will-these-speakers-work)

Will these speakers work? - AlphaScorpio - 11-18-2014

Hi guys, I'm thinking about switching to ultrasonic subs for when I'm sleeping, I'm thinking about buying these (link below) has anyone got any experience using them for subliminals?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XMI-X-Mini-Generation-Capsule-Speaker/dp/B001UEBN42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416300221&sr=8-2&keywords=x+mini+max+2+speakers

It says they are 20khz speakers but I know that sometimes companies are wrong about specs.

RE: Will these speakers work? - Ricardo - 11-18-2014

(11-18-2014, 12:46 AM)AlphaScorpio Wrote: Hi guys, I'm thinking about switching to ultrasonic subs for when I'm sleeping, I'm thinking about buying these (link below) has anyone got any experience using them for subliminals?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XMI-X-Mini-Generation-Capsule-Speaker/dp/B001UEBN42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416300221&sr=8-2&keywords=x+mini+max+2+speakers

It says they are 20khz speakers but I know that sometimes companies are wrong about specs.

I've read that cheap speakers are very good with the higher frequencies so if they pass the speaker test they'll be fine. Just don't expect earth shattering baseBig Grin

RE: Will these speakers work? - in3deep - 11-18-2014

This speaker is mono n not stereo if I'm not wrong

RE: Will these speakers work? - AlphaScorpio - 11-19-2014

I am not sure if it's mono it doesn't say anywhere, maybe someone knows? This is the reason I'm not buying them yet, I'd like stereo for sure as mono are 50% less effective.

RE: Will these speakers work? - Alta - 11-22-2014

(11-19-2014, 07:03 AM)AlphaScorpio Wrote: I am not sure if it's mono it doesn't say anywhere, maybe someone knows? This is the reason I'm not buying them yet, I'd like stereo for sure as mono are 50% less effective.

I use the X-mini speakers to play ultrasonics, they do work. To get a proper stereo effect you'd need two of the speakers and a mono to stereo splitter cable. I have tried using one speaker and two speakers either side of my bed in the past but I can't say I've noticed any difference in efficacy, although it's difficult to be certain. Using two speakers seemed to make me more tired. I'm currently using just one speaker for LTU and I'm seeing results. Something to note is that one speaker on its own isn't very loud and the treble is very uni-directional; it comes out from the speaker in a straight line like a laser. You can test this yourself using FrequenSee. Turning them to full volume causes distortion so I lay the speaker down on its side, pointing straight at my head. This way you get more volume from the speaker than if it were stood upright pointing at the ceiling, without the need to turn the volume to max. Battery life is good as well, about 16 hours on one charge.

Regarding the mono/stereo aspect, although using just one speaker is mono, it still reproduces all of the ultrasonic track surely? I may
be wrong here and I'm sure Shannon can confirm for certain. My reasoning is that if you listen to the song Breed by Nirvana, at 2:06
there is a stereo sweeping effect the goes from the right speaker to the left speaker. If I listen to the song on my two-speaker hi-fi I
clearly hear the sound sweep from one speaker to the other. If I listen to the song using a single X-Mini speaker, I still hear the
full sound but of course it doesn't sweep across, it is just heard coming from the single speaker source. If using one of these
speakers on its own only re-produced half of an audio track I'm pretty certain there would be quite a few returns back to the
manufacturer, no?

RE: Will these speakers work? - adam225 - 11-23-2014

Have a search on YouTube for "left and right speaker test". If you turn the volume right down and stick your ear next to the speakers you'll be able to tell whether it outputs stereo sound or not.

RE: Will these speakers work? - AlphaScorpio - 11-23-2014

(11-22-2014, 08:08 AM)Alta Wrote:
(11-19-2014, 07:03 AM)AlphaScorpio Wrote: I am not sure if it's mono it doesn't say anywhere, maybe someone knows? This is the reason I'm not buying them yet, I'd like stereo for sure as mono are 50% less effective.

I use the X-mini speakers to play ultrasonics, they do work. To get a proper stereo effect you'd need two of the speakers and a mono to stereo splitter cable. I have tried using one speaker and two speakers either side of my bed in the past but I can't say I've noticed any difference in efficacy, although it's difficult to be certain. Using two speakers seemed to make me more tired. I'm currently using just one speaker for LTU and I'm seeing results. Something to note is that one speaker on its own isn't very loud and the treble is very uni-directional; it comes out from the speaker in a straight line like a laser. You can test this yourself using FrequenSee. Turning them to full volume causes distortion so I lay the speaker down on its side, pointing straight at my head. This way you get more volume from the speaker than if it were stood upright pointing at the ceiling, without the need to turn the volume to max. Battery life is good as well, about 16 hours on one charge.

Regarding the mono/stereo aspect, although using just one speaker is mono, it still reproduces all of the ultrasonic track surely? I may
be wrong here and I'm sure Shannon can confirm for certain. My reasoning is that if you listen to the song Breed by Nirvana, at 2:06
there is a stereo sweeping effect the goes from the right speaker to the left speaker. If I listen to the song on my two-speaker hi-fi I
clearly hear the sound sweep from one speaker to the other. If I listen to the song using a single X-Mini speaker, I still hear the
full sound but of course it doesn't sweep across, it is just heard coming from the single speaker source. If using one of these
speakers on its own only re-produced half of an audio track I'm pretty certain there would be quite a few returns back to the
manufacturer, no?

This is exactly what I needed, thank you very much !

RE: Will these speakers work? - AlphaScorpio - 11-26-2014

I have had a look on the internet for mono to stereo splitter cables, I'm a little confused about exactly what they are, here is something is found maybe this is what I need?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-6-35mm-Audio-Cable/dp/B0034DSUMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417070364&sr=8-1&keywords=mono+to+stereo+splitter+cables

Ideally I'd need a cable that would be long enough to seperate both of the speakers to either side of my head with some room to move in as well.
cheers

RE: Will these speakers work? - Alta - 12-04-2014

Nope, what you need is a female left and right jack, which the male connector from the x-minis will plug into.

Try searching for '3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 2x Mono Sockets' on amazon - there's an item on there, although you'll need it to be long enough like you mention so that you can get decent separation between the speakers.

RE: Will these speakers work? - AlphaScorpio - 12-06-2014

Thanks again alta Smile