Subliminal Talk
SOS Shannon! Please do not laugh... - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Family & Work Safe Journals (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Family-Work-Safe-Journals)
+--- Forum: User Journals (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-User-Journals)
+--- Thread: SOS Shannon! Please do not laugh... (/Thread-SOS-Shannon-Please-do-not-laugh)

Pages: 1 2

RE: SOS Shannon! Please do not laugh... - swisston - 12-13-2014

Nearing the end of stage 2 of BASE, and I haven't felt this impatience at all.

RE: SOS Shannon! Please do not laugh... - Shannon - 12-15-2014

The program s designed to do many things, one of which is get you to grow and one of which is to get you to expect what you are capable of, of yourself (helps to motivate and achieve) and others, and stop accepting excuses from yourself and others.

When you encounter a situation where your new "managerial self" as it is developing is unsure how to handle things, and you see incompetence - be it ignorance, or willfully done - you are going to react with "the best of your knowledge" on how to deal with it at first.

Much like with intolerance people face to incompetence and stupidity from running AM, it takes time to refine these responses because you are learning how to be a manager and a leader.

BASE is not designed to allow you to put up with crap from yourself or others when it comes to getting the job done or doing things the right way. People are lazy by nature, and by nature rarely have the desire to do and be what they have the potential to do and be. This is BASE kicking your butt for yourself, and concerning those around you. Managers don't succeed if they expect incompetence of employees, or allow it. Likewise, being around people who allow themselves to be lazy in this way is not conducive of success.

Everyone is going to respond differently to this phase of development. It may start off rough and require refinement; it may be that your path does not require you to deal with or develop that specifically; and it may be that you already have the knowledge and skills to deal with it. But BASE is turning you into an entrepreneur, and as such, a manager.

EDIT: It crosses my mind that this may be some sort of resistance to forgiveness programming, as well.

RE: SOS Shannon! Please do not laugh... - Quote - 12-16-2014

Thanks for the insights Shannon. I have found that writing about it (I refer to my I-am-freaking-out-forum-post above) helps me a great deal. I don't know why that works better than rationalizing in my head. I have since changed my approach in dealing with people.

It was just really weird for me, to know that something isn't gonna work, and I just go ahead and do what isn't gonna work to make myself feel good about it, temporarily. I still have to clean up the mess I made.

I have some questions, I was wondering if you would be up to answer it... I read your recent posts that mentioned about esoteric knowledge, and that led me to wonder...

1. BASE was produced during the time you would call "a very bad time" for you, and I understand that in such times you would tend to make poor judgement and easily make errors. Do you think that could have an effect on the quality of products produced?

2. I definitely feel changes in myself, I wonder if they are for the better, but I am outside of my comfort zone and the things I used to do well (and I prided myself in these things) I now fumble. The things I used to do poorly in I now do better (these things are clearly good things). Is it temporary to "lose" some of my previous strengths in order to grow other necessary "powers" to become an entrepreneur, or will this be permanent? I want to highlight that these previous strengths I mention are useful to business, e.g. long-term thinking, strategic thinking, ability to solve complex problems (involving many variable factors).

3. You mentioned it could be resistance to forgiveness programming, can you elaborate more on that? I definitely have some people to forgive, and I would think, myself included. Some are very deep scars. In any case, I have found that I am more comfortable with these people now than before.

Thank you.

RE: SOS Shannon! Please do not laugh... - LogicMan - 12-17-2014

(12-16-2014, 02:12 PM)Quote Wrote: Thanks for the insights Shannon. I have found that writing about it (I refer to my I-am-freaking-out-forum-post above) helps me a great deal. I don't know why that works better than rationalizing in my head. I have since changed my approach in dealing with people.

It was just really weird for me, to know that something isn't gonna work, and I just go ahead and do what isn't gonna work to make myself feel good about it, temporarily. I still have to clean up the mess I made.

I have some questions, I was wondering if you would be up to answer it... I read your recent posts that mentioned about esoteric knowledge, and that led me to wonder...

1. BASE was produced during the time you would call "a very bad time" for you, and I understand that in such times you would tend to make poor judgement and easily make errors. Do you think that could have an effect on the quality of products produced?

2. I definitely feel changes in myself, I wonder if they are for the better, but I am outside of my comfort zone and the things I used to do well (and I prided myself in these things) I now fumble. The things I used to do poorly in I now do better (these things are clearly good things). Is it temporary to "lose" some of my previous strengths in order to grow other necessary "powers" to become an entrepreneur, or will this be permanent? I want to highlight that these previous strengths I mention are useful to business, e.g. long-term thinking, strategic thinking, ability to solve complex problems (involving many variable factors).

3. You mentioned it could be resistance to forgiveness programming, can you elaborate more on that? I definitely have some people to forgive, and I would think, myself included. Some are very deep scars. In any case, I have found that I am more comfortable with these people now than before.

Thank you.

WOW. Did you honestly just ask question 1?!?

What possible answer do you think Shannon can give to that question that will improve the situation for you? Way to take personal responsibility!

RE: SOS Shannon! Please do not laugh... - Quote - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 08:02 AM)LogicMan Wrote: WOW. Did you honestly just ask question 1?!?

What possible answer do you think Shannon can give to that question that will improve the situation for you? Way to take personal responsibility!

Thank you LogicMan for sharing your insights on my question. I'm aware that it could be taken in the wrong way.

Although I admit I've a lot to learn and improve and kick my own ass this season, that was not what I meant (to shirk responsibility).

I had the opportunity to be privy to "esoteric knowledge" and a key takeaway was that such periods would make you to more prone to bad judgement and mistakes. In short, "what could go wrong would go wrong", whether you are aware of it or otherwise. I wondered how a person could prevent that from happening or minimize its effects, especially given that producing subs is very complex work. I imagine it was a very trying period (an understatement) for Shannon when he was pushing through with BASE. My turn to face a similarly described period is probably nearing, although I can't predict with the accuracy as Shannon does when that would happen, for how long, when it would peak etc. I know of no other solution than to "lay low" (and do practically nothing). I wanted to know how Shannon sees himself through it, produced his work with minimal interference by this natural phenomenon that affects everyone in their own time and space.

I do appreciate your candid reply and thank you for the opportunity to clarify on the matter.

RE: SOS Shannon! Please do not laugh... - Shannon - 12-20-2014

Quote:Thanks for the insights Shannon. I have found that writing about it (I refer to my I-am-freaking-out-forum-post above) helps me a great deal. I don't know why that works better than rationalizing in my head. I have since changed my approach in dealing with people.

The quality of one's thinking and judgement depends on the qualities that make up a "very bad time" and the instigating factors. In this case, knowing what I did about when it would be at a challenging state, I worked only when I knew specific factors were true, and I worked very slowly. This is the secret to making it through the sort of challenging time I was having, and that is why it took so long to produce.

For instance, I did not work when I was tired. I don't drink or do drugs, or even use medications, so that was not an issue. I did not work when I was emotionally distressed, frustrated, upset, or in any state that would produce questionable thinking. And when I did work, I worked in small chunks that allowed me to focus more than I usually would, specifically so that I could counter any effects the external influences may have had on me.

I also threw away work that was questionable in quality and potentially based on bad or faulty judgement several times, even though that cost me a lot. In general, I maintain that if it's not done right, it does not get released, and I do not accept less than what is right. Especially when I know the price tag is not small.

I have zero tolerance for mistakes or questionable work, and I listen when my gut makes me question my work -- no matter how much I don't want to do it again.

Finally, I did not work at all while the negative influences were at critical levels.

Quote:2. I definitely feel changes in myself, I wonder if they are for the better, but I am outside of my comfort zone and the things I used to do well (and I prided myself in these things) I now fumble. The things I used to do poorly in I now do better (these things are clearly good things). Is it temporary to "lose" some of my previous strengths in order to grow other necessary "powers" to become an entrepreneur, or will this be permanent? I want to highlight that these previous strengths I mention are useful to business, e.g. long-term thinking, strategic thinking, ability to solve complex problems (involving many variable factors).

Part of what the program is telling you to do is seek the challenge, master it, and move forward. If you take pride in doing something well, it is easy to hide from working on what you do not do well by focusing on what you take pride in instead. The program is re-organizing and re-balancing your skills, strengths and abilities, seeking to even them out. That's not to say it's degrading anything, but it's taking your focus away from what you do well, and putting it on what needs work right now. In the end, you'll return to a much more satisfying and much higher overall level of skill and competence for the challenge.

Quote:3. You mentioned it could be resistance to forgiveness programming, can you elaborate more on that? I definitely have some people to forgive, and I would think, myself included. Some are very deep scars. In any case, I have found that I am more comfortable with these people now than before.

Thank you.

When you are just getting started doing so, it usually isn't easy to forgive. Even with some experience it can be a challenge, and certainly one all of us can surely work on improving within ourselves. Scars are self perpetuating in that they tend to create blockages, which prevent their healing by resisting forgiveness. It's sort of like an involuntary response to contract a muscle when it gets hurt, which only makes the pain worse.

Ultimately, holding on by resisting forgiveness only holds you back and damages you. Rarely if ever do they experience any real meaningful difference, and I would say that as a form of punishment, "unforgiven" is an absolute, abject failure. It only works if they cooperate in the game by feeling bad in the right way, and that's not likely in the vast majority of cases.

Replacing "unforgiveness" with understanding and release, while learning to prevent oneself from being so treated in the future, is a path to healing, growth and advancement therefore.