Subliminal Talk
Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Website and Subliminal Feedback (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Website-and-Subliminal-Feedback)
+--- Forum: Frequently Asked Questions & Resources (FAQ) (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Resources-FAQ)
+--- Thread: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? (/Thread-Stereo-Speakers-How-far-apart)

Pages: 1 2

Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - Xebec - 11-05-2014

I've searched and read several threads about speakers and it appears the stereo effect is pretty important (though in one thread, I thought Shannon said it wasn't required for Alpha Male -- or was it Absolute Confidence? Hmmm...).

Anyway, if I'm going to buy stereo speakers, how far apart to they have to be from each other?

For example, this looks like a very good speaker:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Oontz-Cambridge-SoundWorks-Bluetooth/dp/B00F6AVFK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415222294&sr=8-1&keywords=oontz+xl

The left and right are encased in a single enclosure, which is just 10" wide. If I had that centered at the head or foot of my bed, would that give me the effect I need? Or, would I be better off with two separate speakers and keep them farther apart?

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - JackOfHearts - 11-05-2014

2 separate speaker, the most close to the ear like a headset. Stereo is needed for all sub else you will have half the effects

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - Xebec - 11-05-2014

Well, if the 2 speakers only need to be as far apart as headphone would be, wouldn't a 10" enclosure with 1 speaker on each end work?

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - adam225 - 11-06-2014

See what Shannon has to say on this. I know he uses a laptop for his listening so the speakers won't exactly be miles apart for his exposure.

I'm not sure about blue tooth. http://subliminal-talk.com/Thread-Shannon-Bluetooth-speaker-headphones

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - JackOfHearts - 11-06-2014

(11-05-2014, 11:33 PM)Xebec Wrote: Well, if the 2 speakers only need to be as far apart as headphone would be, wouldn't a 10" enclosure with 1 speaker on each end work?

Certainly but it won't be the best in my opinion. With that kind of stuff aim the higher possible, if you don't want to waste your time.

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - adam225 - 11-06-2014

Headphones/ear buds will always be best. To me, if I'm going to be using subliminal audio then I want to be using it the most efficient and effective way possible. I've more or less done the whole of AM6 using headphones or ear buds (& yes, even when sleeping). My results so far are outstanding, I'm a completely different person to who I was when I started. It shocks me sometimes when I look back.

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - Xebec - 11-07-2014

I just read a thread where Shannen recommends not using headphones or ear buds for the silent subs -- but primarily because of the risk of ear damage by having it too loud (since we can't tell it's too loud because it's outside our hearing range).

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - adam225 - 11-08-2014

He does, I still use them though. He's only trying to make his products idiot proof. Not that I'm recommending it, but as long as you're cautious about the volume you'll be fine.

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - Shannon - 11-10-2014

Speaker separation is going to be optimal at 180 degrees apart, with each at 0 degrees to one of your ears. Distance from ears is good from 3 to 30 feet, as long as you have the volume set properly and it's not bothering you. You want to set the volume according to the instructions such that regardless of distance from speaker to ear, the volume is set according to the instructions for where you will be while listening to them.

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - cfact - 11-11-2014

A couple practical questions:
I know the subs are designed for stereo and headphones would be optimal, but most of us will/can not sleep with headphones - does turning on your side, or 180 even, matter? Obviously will not be getting a "stereo" experience on your side.

If I was travelling and again not using headphones - can I just use a mono bluetooth speaker? (of course a quality one like BOSE to get the required frequencies). I see elsewhere is advised against http://subliminal-talk.com/Thread-Stereo-Versus-Mono-Speakers-Headphones-Why-You-Need-Stereo , but then that presents a very real problem - how can I listen to subs when travelling without using headphones (which I simply cannot sleep with)? The main question is: is mono useless or even bad, or is mono "advised against", but better than stopping listening? [One answer might be to get the hours in with headphones during the day - but I am on VACATION! Not like at work stuck behind a computer... if I am at the beach, just inconvenient or impractical to listen to subs for hours]

Not an issue at the moment - but will be when I travel towards the end of the year!

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - adam225 - 11-11-2014

I raised a similar questions:

(11-03-2014, 05:41 AM)adam225 Wrote: Yes, you can play ultrasonic tracks off the HTC one m8, I have tested it personally. The only slight doubt I have is the stereo separation. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how important it actually is. From what I understand messages come out of each speaker simultaneously (one into the left ear and one into the right). I'm curious to know how well the subconscious mind can comprehend what's being said when the speakers are so close (or sleeping on one side where only one ear is receiving the audio) and how much it actually matters. If I was totally deaf in one ear could I still benefit from listening ? If the speakers are more or less touching each other, will I still get the benefits ?

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - Shawn - 11-11-2014

With mono you get only about 45% of the effect. And when it comes to bluetooth I would avoid it completely. It uses lossy compression for the transmission. I already said it here.

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - cfact - 11-11-2014

@sebastian - what is that 45% number based on? With subs it is not as simple has dividing by about two - if I hear "I am self-confident" - my subconscious can take that in whatever ear it comes through, or whether mono or stereo! So genuinely curious what the downside of mono is... a 55% drop in efficacy seems too much.

My bluetooth speaker can additionally be plugged in (i.e. no need to transmit audio via bluetooth), so I don't think there should be a lossy issue.

RE: Stereo Speakers - How far apart? - LionKing - 11-11-2014

(11-11-2014, 01:49 AM)coldfact Wrote: how can I listen to subs when travelling without using headphones (which I simply cannot sleep with)?

I don't know if you've tried, but you can use SleepPhones. I sleep about 85% on my side, 10% on my stomach and 5% on my back, and listen to the trickling stream track every night. It wasn't too easy at first (hurt my ears a bit + the audio itself), but I got used to it in a month or two. And now I'm practically immune to night-time noise with those on, which is a plus. A minus would be that if I have someone over I'll have to hide them a bit, or tell its a sleeping aid or something.