Subliminal Talk
Calling out all INFPs - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Other-Topics)
+--- Forum: The Chatter Box (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-The-Chatter-Box)
+--- Thread: Calling out all INFPs (/Thread-Calling-out-all-INFPs)

Calling out all INFPs - Subeternal - 11-09-2012

I dont know how many people here may be into the whole myer briggs thing. I've spent much time over the years trying to understand who I am and why I am that way and have gone through astrology, myer briggs, reading about the idea of being a empath.

I could never really get into learning about the other myer briggs denominations. Astrology has always held more interest to me in that respect.

INFPS like myself always tend to be the oddballs in life. We tend to have a hard time expressing ourselves verbally (The way we would want to anyway) Making friends and pursuing careers in the regular sense is a challenge to say the least. A lot of us feel kind of aimless in our lives as we try to find a meaningful career to do but never quite get there. Romance seems to be problematic for both male and female counterparts although in different ways. We have many great qualities as individuals even though we may feel undervalued and under appreciated much of the time.

I'm making this thread in the hope that other INFPs find this place because I know many of my kind fall through the cracks and these programs have the potential to make our lives much happier and complete as long as we put the effort in all around.

I may have not named it "generally" but feel free to talk about any Myer Briggs related stuff in here. I'm actually interested in seeing what the other members are.

RE: Calling out all INFPs - Andrew - 11-09-2012

Hmm, you know I could pull up all the ones I've taken over the years. But they are so unimportant to me now. By myself, and with the help of subs those traits have changed so much. The test in itself does not allow room for complexity, and requires faith not in the questions but how the outcome is calculated. It assumes that question A defines someone just as much as question D because they both hold certain "traits" on their scale. The whole process, when you look at it, attempts to define someone based on a pile of guessing and assumptions. Just because you may have an introvert trait or extrovert trait in one area, does not mean that if you have more introvert traits to these specific questions they are asking that you are then an introvert or extrovert. They are trying to box in something that just can't be boxed. It's been much more useful for me, personally, that when I want to change something focus on it and go change it. These tests are really more for entertainment value, and there's quite a few out there that are superior than the myer briggs at making psychological guesses if you look around.

Edit: Here's something that I find amusing. "Introverts expend expend energy in social situations (whereas extraverts gain energy)."

Now, for me this depends completely on what social group Im with, and I believe that is the same case with everyone. You can see an introvert at a gaming convention-yelling and screaming with their peers. Then you might see them at a bar or club and well, if you can see them in the first place. This classification to me, is completely false, and it is simply impossible to define someone by it because both happen all the time. But people think that if one happens more than the other that makes them an extro or intro? No, it only shows a someone closer or less connected to their preferred social groups and situations.

(11-09-2012, 11:34 AM)Subeternal Wrote: I dont know how many people here may be into the whole myer briggs thing. I've spent much time over the years trying to understand who I am and why I am that way and have gone through astrology, myer briggs, reading about the idea of being a empath.

I could never really get into learning about the other myer briggs denominations. Astrology has always held more interest to me in that respect.

INFPS like myself always tend to be the oddballs in life. We tend to have a hard time expressing ourselves verbally (The way we would want to anyway) Making friends and pursuing careers in the regular sense is a challenge to say the least. A lot of us feel kind of aimless in our lives as we try to find a meaningful career to do but never quite get there. Romance seems to be problematic for both male and female counterparts although in different ways. We have many great qualities as individuals even though we may feel undervalued and under appreciated much of the time.

I'm making this thread in the hope that other INFPs find this place because I know many of my kind fall through the cracks and these programs have the potential to make our lives much happier and complete as long as we put the effort in all around.

I may have not named it "generally" but feel free to talk about any Myer Briggs related stuff in here. I'm actually interested in seeing what the other members are.

RE: Calling out all INFPs - Subeternal - 11-09-2012

(11-09-2012, 12:50 PM)Andrew Wrote: Hmm, you know I could pull up all the ones I've taken over the years. But they are so unimportant to me now. By myself, and with the help of subs those traits have changed so much. The test in itself does not allow room for complexity, and requires faith not in the questions but how the outcome is calculated. It assumes that question A defines someone just as much as question D because they both hold certain "traits" on their scale. The whole process, when you look at it, attempts to define someone based on a pile of guessing and assumptions. Just because you may have an introvert trait or extrovert trait in one area, does not mean that if you have more introvert traits to these specific questions they are asking that you are then an introvert or extrovert. They are trying to box in something that just can't be boxed. It's been much more useful for me, personally, that when I want to change something focus on it and go change it. These tests are really more for entertainment value, and there's quite a few out there that are superior than the myer briggs at making psychological guesses if you look around.

Edit: Here's something that I find amusing. "Introverts expend expend energy in social situations (whereas extraverts gain energy)."

Now, for me this depends completely on what social group Im with, and I believe that is the same case with everyone. You can see an introvert at a gaming convention-yelling and screaming with their peers. Then you might see them at a bar or club and well, if you can see them in the first place. This classification to me, is completely false, and it is simply impossible to define someone by it because both happen all the time. But people think that if one happens more than the other that makes them an extro or intro? No, it only shows a someone closer or less connected to their preferred social groups and situations.

A lot of INFP peeps gather around in "type" forums talking about their quirks and like and dislikes trying to make sense of things. I can honestly say that I feel like an alien lots of the time. I don't really identify with men or women greatly and I get along best with people that are much older than myself normally. But then again thats cheating because there is less of a dynamic with people so far out of your age group (if that makes any sense).

I really do get what your saying though. I am a extroverted introvert myself. I can play the social butterfly at times but it isnt what I normally do. ncbear was telling me the same thing about psychology tests that are much more refined and exact. After doing Alpha I redid the myer brigg test while the effect was still strong. One of my letter's seemed to change at least half the time I took it or more. I tend to be caught between being a INFP and a INTP. I can be the thinker or the feeler. Problem is I was never really that intellectual or critical thinker minded so INFP tends to fit me better most of the time.

Yes, personality can definitely be situation based and you cant make assumptions either way. Thats the only thing that kind of saves me when people really find me stuck up or standoffish at first glance, when I feel like my family upbringing kind of molded me to show myself a certain way even if that isnt the inner me.

RE: Calling out all INFPs - RainbowAbyss - 11-09-2012

Andrew makes some good points...the energy I get from a group really depends on the group.More accurately it depends on what I bring to the group.
I heard that what introvert really means is you have a lower thresh hold and/or tolerance for processing new and/or external stimulation---as situations and new experiences are continuously acclimated to-the threshold naturally raises. Their reticular activation systems (the part of brain that decides what will entire your immediate conscious based on threat or value) are less used what to sort out or not.
Some of the most 'unsocial' people I know are so used to extreme stimulation-fast paced jobs, sky diving etc., drugs in some cases, that they barely talk in social situations and would come across extremely introverted,
Andrew what other tests would you recommend?