Subliminal Talk
Words to the Wise - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Other-Topics)
+--- Forum: The Chatter Box (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-The-Chatter-Box)
+--- Thread: Words to the Wise (/Thread-Words-to-the-Wise)

Words to the Wise - Subeternal - 11-04-2012

Since I enjoy the play on words and sayings so much I have decided to do a "Aphorisms of the day" sort of thread. I'll share 2 that I like everyday. Feel free to share your own or comment on the them. They don't have to be aphorisms, any sort of saying or proverb will do.

1. Do not be deceived in men, for it is the worst, and the easiest of deceptions; far better to be cheated in price, than in the goods; nothing is more important than to look within: only there is a difference between knowing merchandise and knowing men; a great science to understand the minds of men, and to discern their humors: just as important to have studied men, as to have studied books.

2. A man of substance, and who he is, has little fondness for those who are not. Unhappy the conspicuousness that does not rest upon a sure foundation. Not all who seem to be, are men, but fakes, conceived as hybrids and born humbugs; many more are like unto them, in that they bolster them, taking more delight in the false, which promises most, because most, than in the truth, which promises little, because so little.

In the end their shams fare badly, for they lack foundation in truth, and only truth can bestow true reputation, and solid character prove profitable; one fraud makes necessary another and more; and so the whole of what is built up is flimsy, and as it rests upon air, it is destined to return to earth. Never has mere scenery lasted, for an outward show that promises too much, is sufficient to make itself suspect, just as that which is overly proved, is held impossible.

RE: Words to the Wise - Yuri - 11-04-2012

1. Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

2. You have enemies? Good. that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

3. You can always count on Americans to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.

RE: Words to the Wise - tinygargoyle - 11-04-2012

(11-04-2012, 01:43 PM)Yuri Wrote: 3. You can always count on Americans to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.

Even Brits who play American doctors.

RE: Words to the Wise - Yuri - 11-04-2012

(11-04-2012, 03:09 PM)tinygargoyle Wrote:
(11-04-2012, 01:43 PM)Yuri Wrote: 3. You can always count on Americans to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.

Even Brits who play American doctors.

actually this is from Churchill.

RE: Words to the Wise - Sean - 11-04-2012

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

RE: Words to the Wise - Yuri - 11-05-2012

1.Try not to be a man of success, but rather try to become a man of Value.

2. Believing what others think of you is creating a reality of the fool's imagination.

RE: Words to the Wise - Elusive - 11-05-2012

To reach higher peaks one must often cross valleys and climb other mountains.

RE: Words to the Wise - Subeternal - 11-06-2012

3. Of happy mind. In moderation, it is an asset, and not a liability. A bit of humor seasons everything. The greatest man plays the fool at times, for it makes him popular; only his manners are forever checked by his mind, and proper homage is paid to decorum. Some can make of a bit of wit a short cut out of every difficulty, for certain things should be taken lightly and often the very ones which other take most seriously. He who shows himself affable, captures all hearts.

4. Know how to be all things to all men. A wise Proteus, he who is learned with the learned, and with the pious, pious: it is the great way of winning all to you: for to be like, is to be liked. Observe each man's spirit and adapt yourself: to the serious, or to the jovial, as the case may be, by following the fashion, through a politic change within yourself: a veritable necessity in those who are dependant. But this great rule of life calls for rich talent: being least difficult to that man of the world whose mind is filled with knowledge, and whose spirit is filled with taste