Subliminal Talk
Playing FLAC on apple products? - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Men's Journals (18+ NSFW) (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Men-s-Journals-18-NSFW)
+--- Forum: Men's Product Discussion (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Men-s-Product-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Playing FLAC on apple products? (/Thread-Playing-FLAC-on-apple-products)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - Shannon - 08-20-2020

it's something between 3 and 7% better than MP3. Most times I check, it's around 5-6-7% better.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - fab10 - 08-20-2020

(07-30-2020, 12:54 AM)Benjamin Wrote: Hey guys,
              I'm wondering if any of you play FLAC files on apple products? I ask because someone has asked me and I don't have an iphone or anything. I know apple makes it difficult because they are dodgy and try to force you to only use their format. Hopefully there's a simple way to do so.

I update my recommendation to “foobar2000”, it does everything we need without using workarounds and is stable. 

Credit to tolgaocal80 for recommending it.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - FrankMiller - 03-17-2021

Vox and Onkyo HF Player for iOS both handle FLAC audio playback. Keep in mind to use lightning cable head phones (or those with USB-C audio input and use a 'lightning to USB-C' cable to connect) as playback either through Bluetooth (AAC codec only on iOS) or using a 'lightning to 3.5mm audio' connector (like the one that comes bundled with iPhone) the output will be limited in kHz and 'lossy'. Otherwise there will be a very minimal quality advantage over playing MP3 audio.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - fab10 - 03-17-2021

Just to confirm-
Are you saying that the lightning-to-3.5mm connector is lossy while the USB c-to-3.5mm is lossless?

Lossy data transfer can be a serious issue here because it can kill the subliminal messages. That is also why Bluetooth is not recommended.

I’ll copy Shannon’s quote for reference:
Quote:If they're using lossy compression, they're also very likely stripping out the very low volume audio (kills masked subliminals) and stripping out the very high pitch audio (kills ultrasonic subliminals).

(03-17-2021, 10:47 AM)FrankMiller Wrote: Vox and Onkyo HF Player for iOS both handle FLAC audio playback.
One requirement to consider is that it must be possible to create a playlist that contains several instances of the same track. Many players either cannot do that or don’t do it well.
Vox didn’t work for me but I don’t remember exactly why. I didn’t know Onkyo HF, thanks for the recommendation, I am downloading it right now so I can test it. 

Either way, “foobar2000” still works well.

(03-17-2021, 02:05 PM)fab10 Wrote: Just to confirm-
Are you saying that the lightning-to-3.5mm connector is lossy while the USB c-to-3.5mm is lossless?

Lossy data transfer can be a serious issue here because it can kill the subliminal messages. That is also why Bluetooth is not recommended.

I’ll copy Shannon’s quote for reference:
Quote:If they're using lossy compression, they're also very likely stripping out the very low volume audio (kills masked subliminals) and stripping out the very high pitch audio (kills ultrasonic subliminals).

Lightning-to-3.5mm is lossy in terms of FLAC (for MP3 audio output this type of connection will do just fine). The issue originates from the fact once the lighting connection is used for audio output, the iPhone's internal DAC is bypassed. And we are passing over the data to headphones over a 3.5mm cable (an 'obsolete' audio data transfer medium). It won't render the audio useless though. But you might not be able to appreciate the added audio quality difference between a FLAC and a MP3 audio. Now, how much this 'data loss' will affect those 5-7% that the IML FLAC sub audio has over its MP3 version, I guess only @Shannon and his tech could answer. In theory the Lightning-to-3.5mm connection could support up to 48kHz.

USB-C-2-Lightning cable can support a much higher bitrate audio data transfer, so the FLAC audio will be far less degraded. 'Lossless' FLAC transfer from an iPhone would only be possible with the use of an external DAC. A good and portable one will set you back 1.500USD+ so in that case it would be better to get a portable FLAC player and studio quality wired headphones.

Over Bluetooth you could get a better data transfer than what the 'Lightning-to-3.4mm' offers, if for example a codec such as aptX, aptX HD is used (many over the higher end wireless head phones do now support these). However, the iPhone, being Apple and 'unique', doesn't support these codecs...

(03-17-2021, 02:12 PM)fab10 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 10:47 AM)FrankMiller Wrote: Vox and Onkyo HF Player for iOS both handle FLAC audio playback.
One requirement to consider is that it must be possible to create a playlist that contains several instances of the same track. Many players either cannot do that or don’t do it well.
Vox didn’t work for me but I don’t remember exactly why. I didn’t know Onkyo HF, thanks for the recommendation, I am downloading it right now so I can test it. 

In Vox you can either use the 'Add to Queue' function the amount of times you want to play the track, or add the sound file to the library with different files names, such as 'Ocean Surf 1', Ocean Surf 2', etc. Not the best option, but works.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - sushi521 - 03-17-2021

I tried to use foobar2000 on iPad Pro but didn't know how to import audio there. Did you use FTP or TuneFUSION?

(03-17-2021, 03:56 PM)FrankMiller Wrote:

In Vox you can either use the 'Add to Queue' function the amount of times you want to play the track, or add the sound file to the library with different files names, such as 'Ocean Surf 1', Ocean Surf 2', etc. Not the best option, but works.

Yes, that was exactly the problem  Tongue. I want a playlist ready to play with the right number of tracks at the push of a button - I have to start it hundreds of times when I am tired at night, at bedtime.
I wasn’t thrilled either with the idea of creating 7 copies of a file measuring 300 to 700 GB each, up to 5GB down the drain per stage lol, over 30 GB for LTU, way too much for a mobile device. 

I’ll test that Onkyo, I might like it better and I could certainly use a backup player but so far foobar2000 works perfectly, even if it looks like a Windows program from the 90s.

(03-17-2021, 05:30 PM)sushi521 Wrote:

I tried to use foobar2000 on iPad Pro but didn't know how to import audio there. Did you use FTP or TuneFUSION?
I use the Files app, piece of cake - download the track from the IML site with Safari and move it from the Download folder to the folder On My iPad / foobar2000. It takes 10 seconds. See pic. 

I now listen on my iPad Pro all the time, it’s way easier and more reliable than anything else I tried.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - sushi521 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:36 PM)fab10 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 05:30 PM)sushi521 Wrote:

I use the Files app, piece of cake - download the track from the IML site with Safari and move it from the Download folder to the folder On My iPad / foobar2000. It takes 10 seconds. See pic. 

I now listen on my iPad Pro all the time, it’s way easier and more reliable than anything else I tried.
hmm, I don't see the foobar2000 folder on Files...

I've been using the app Documents to play Flac. Only problem is sometimes it stops midway through the playlist.

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - fab10 - 03-18-2021

Mmm, it was a while ago but it wasn’t hard at all. You might have to get something, anything in the foobaar2000 app so it creates the folder. I am sure I didn’t use anything as hard as FTP.

Have you tried the option “foobar2000 Music Folder” in the app?

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - sushi521 - 03-19-2021

(03-18-2021, 11:14 AM)fab10 Wrote: Mmm, it was a while ago but it wasn’t hard at all. You might have to get something, anything in the foobaar2000 app so it creates the folder. I am sure I didn’t  use anything as hard as FTP.

Couldn't get it to work. I will stick to vlc on my laptop for now. Thanks anyway!

RE: Playing FLAC on apple products? - fab10 - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 01:11 PM)sushi521 Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 11:14 AM)fab10 Wrote: Mmm, it was a while ago but it wasn’t hard at all. You might have to get something, anything in the foobaar2000 app so it creates the folder. I am sure I didn’t  use anything as hard as FTP.

Couldn't get it to work. I will stick to vlc on my laptop for now. Thanks anyway!

There’s also VLC for iOS of course. For a while there was a problem with playlists but I checked now, it works well, and it’s very easy to upload the tracks into it from any browser.