Subliminal Talk
A USLM4 Journal - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Family & Work Safe Journals (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Family-Work-Safe-Journals)
+--- Forum: User Journals (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-User-Journals)
+--- Thread: A USLM4 Journal (/Thread-A-USLM4-Journal)

A USLM4 Journal - Rust - 04-26-2019

Hey all. As the title implies, I'm on version 4 of US/LM now. My US/LM 3 Journal has relevant background info if anyone's interested. 

My goals remain the same as before. Copy/pasting here for reference:

1. Main long term goal is to be a successful network engineer who enjoys his job.
2. Sub-goal of the one above is to become CCNA certified by August 1st and get my foot in the door somewhere.
3. Sub-goal of the one above is to study for at least a few hours every single day.

Just to reiterate here, earning the CCNA certification involves passing two exams (ICND1 and ICND2). Each of those has their own massive textbook for study plus you need to practice the concepts learned by labbing. Currently, I have about 4 chapters left in the ICND1 textbook. Almost done with this beast. Then I'll give myself about a week to do some relentless labbing and finally take the first exam. I know I mentioned in my last journal that I would have finished the book sooner and taken the exam this month. I am happy to say that isn't the result of me slacking off as is usually the case when my progress halts. Some things came up in the past week that needed my time. 

Yesterday and today I went to check out some possible testing centers. One of them happened to be the biggest university in my country. I had a lot of anxiety (I'm diagnosed with severe anxiety) exploring the campus looking for the right place. When I finally found it and spoke to a staff member, they basically gave me the impression that I was a "lesser person" because I wasn't a student at that Uni. They also said that depending on where I parked, there was a chance that my car would be clamped since I don't have a student pass.
The other place I checked out was a small college not too far from where I live. Their lab looks just as good as the Uni's, the girl who gave me the tour was super friendly (she's also gonna me my proctor), and there is no risk of my car getting clamped. So I'm going to sit the exam right there when the time comes.

RE: A USLM4 Journal - Rust - 04-27-2019

(04-26-2019, 08:22 AM)Rust Wrote: Currently, I have about 4 chapters left in the ICND1 textbook. Almost done with this beast.

Finished the textbook!

Can now look back smiling at this bit from my very first journal post, when I was motivating myself to actually start reading the thing lol:

(02-06-2019, 09:34 PM)Rust Wrote: Gotta read chapter 1.  Got to follow the instructions of the sub!

RE: A USLM4 Journal - Rust - 05-02-2019

So in more than one post I mentioned my issues with anxiety. Well, I have the ICND1 exam a little later this morning. Leaving home in a bit. For an exam with such a scary reputation, I feel like I should at least be a little worried...but I'm not...like not at all. My therapist has been trying to get me to go on medication for a long time but I was always reluctant so I don't know what the effect of those meds feel like, but I'm getting the feeling that FRM is my "anti-anxiety pill" this morning.

RE: A USLM4 Journal - Rust - 05-02-2019

Well, I'm back from the testing center and...

...I passed!!!

Got a really good score too, wasn't very far off from the 1000 maximum possible points. Ain't gonna lie, when I pulled into the parking lot this morning that confidence I felt this morning started to wane lol. But as it turns out there was nothing to fear. From Sunday to yesterday I was doing lab practice from 7am to 10pm. So nice to have all that madness pay off. Thanks, Ultra Success module!

I'm not going to start studying for ICND2 til next week. Relaxing this weekend. Going to catch up on Game of Thrones. Got a ticket booked to see Avengers Endgame in IMAX on Saturday evening. Life is good, for now.

RE: A USLM4 Journal - Rust - 05-05-2019

Starting second set of loops today. From lurking around on the forum I see that experimentation is an option now. So it might be useful to point out that I'm following the default instructions.

Want to address something I said earlier:

(05-02-2019, 03:59 AM)Rust Wrote: My therapist has been trying to get me to go on medication for a long time but I was always reluctant so I don't know what the effect of those meds feel like, but I'm getting the feeling that FRM is my "anti-anxiety pill" this morning

I actually plan to comply with my therapist's wishes and start medication soon. Often times I wonder if I would have been able to hold down my last job if I was on meds back then. If US/LM comes through for me and I do end up getting the job I want, who is to say that the past won't repeat itself? I'm dealing with the same challenges as I was back then. Maybe medication will help, maybe they won't. I at least have to give it a shot and see.

RE: A USLM4 Journal - Rust - 05-06-2019

Making a slight change to the way my goals are written.

(04-26-2019, 08:22 AM)Rust Wrote: 1. Main long term goal is to be a successful network engineer who enjoys his job.
2. Sub-goal of the one above is to become CCNA certified by August 1st and get my foot in the door somewhere.
3. Sub-goal of the one above is to study for at least a few hours every single day.

To:

1. Main long term goal is to be a successful network engineer who enjoys his job.
2. Sub-goal of the one above is to get my foot in the door somewhere that's ideal for me.
3. Sub-goal of the one above is to study for at least a few hours every single day and become CCNA certified by August 1st.

Basically keeping everything study related in goal #3.