Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Vegetarians Will HATE This: Do Plants Feel Emotions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No offence, but this is another one of your retarded logical leaps.

Plants don't feel "pain" in the same sense we do, they lack a neurological system. Organisms with a neurological system can experience a spectrum of emotions (if you have a pet you'll have observed this) with pain being one of them.

What that article indicates is that plants can detect damage to their structures and then communicate this via chemical signals to other plants. This isn't anything ground breaking as its well established that plants have their own immune systems.

If you want to get really technical, pain is a signal that whatever stimuli is present and causing said pain is obviously a hazard to the well being of the organism experiencing it. Subsequently the organism reflexively adapts by moving away (recoiling) from the source. As plants can't physically move, evolving a neurological system would be extremely redundant. Nature tends to follow the path of least resistance (which is why you lose muscle mass if you stop working out - the body re appropriates those resources elsewhere). Nature is also extremely efficient at evolving towards the most optimal conformation to best suit it's environment.

When you put that all together; Lack of neurological system, redundancy of pain receptors for plants and the efficient process of evolution, you can see how the idea that plants feel "pain" is ludicrous.
I hate it, I hate it
Actually Determined you haven't convinced me of anything. Read the article again.
(06-15-2018, 06:24 AM)Frosted Wrote: [ -> ]Lol Determined no need to insult someone's intelligence. But I guess it's okay because you said "no offense".

And btw sarge nice clickbait title LOL. You really have been learning stuff from your sales job haven't you :p?

Glad someone appreciates it Wink
I already read about a decade ago that plants showed some reaction when people were trying to harm them (for example by burning). This might be not that pronounced like living forms with a real nerve system but there seem so be something that makes them react (on an internal level).
I once read that a plant caught some criminal. lol. They did some sort of experiment.
"Although not audible to the human ear, the secret voices of plants have revealed that cucumbers scream when they are sick, and flowers whine when their leaves are cut."

Reminds me of Sausage Party lol

[Image: sausage-party-clip-seth-rogen-jimmy-kimm...cypulp.jpg]
I understand your point sarge, but I as a vegetarian, don't eat meat mainly because of environmental reasons.
Also, most animals nowadays get treated badly their whole lives, that I wouldn't wish on even the worst of humans.
regarding the article, they communicate with each other but do they FEEL pain?? I don't know... crazy to think about tho...

thanksfor sharing!