Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Help Me Understand Global Warming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys. I hope I'm not too uninformed to discuss this topic, but I don't get how global warming is a thing.

I go to a weather site quite regularly and it often shows "Records on this Day" where it will show the highest temp recorded, and the lowest.

The highest is always from the 1920's or some date in the past. I don't think I've ever seen a record in the last 10 years, despite what is being claimed.

So yeah, I'm confused. Has there actually been any records broken for heat or is it all a "narrative"?
There is 2 sides from what I have seen. Some who thinks global warming is a mean to an end (get rich), so it's fake, let tax everyone so we get rich with that.
And some who thinks it's really happening, that we have to stop it at all cost otherwise the world will end sooner than you expect, get ready for the apocalypse.

I'm not sure personally who is right, but the government is so full of lies that it is hard to trust any weather or scientific report from them.
And even if they are not lying maybe they don't even know what's really happening, maybe it's just natural thing that happen every 1000 or something like that.

Where I live I have noticed a weather change, but it's not profound and it's actually getting colder and not warmer, I can't say it's getting warmer where I live south of the pole, it's often hot but nothing amazing, it's a normal where I live. I can't say I have notice any dramatic change, so no end of the world like predicted on TV, at least for now.
(07-07-2017, 07:33 AM)Alpha360 Wrote: [ -> ]There is 2 sides from what I have seen. Some who thinks global warming is a mean to an end (get rich), so it's fake, let tax everyone so we get rich with that.
And some who thinks it's really happening, that we have to stop it at all cost otherwise the world will end sooner than you expect, get ready for the apocalypse.

I'm not sure personally who is right, but the government is so full of lies that it is hard to trust any weather or scientific report from them.
And even if they are not lying maybe they don't even know what's really happening, maybe it's just natural thing that happen every 1000 or something like that.

Where I live I have noticed a weather change, but it's not profound and it's actually getting colder and not warmer, I can't say it's getting warmer where I live south of the pole, it's often hot but nothing amazing, it's a normal where I live. I can't say I have notice any dramatic change, so no end of the world like predicted on TV, at least for now.

Yeah I'm not sure either. I mean on one hand, the ice caps are getting smaller, on the other, the ozone hole is also getting smaller (saw that last year, hurray for us lol).

But I, too, have noticed it's mostly colder, althought it's been very hot this week, still normal temps though.

Could it be that as the ice caps melt, more cold air circles the globe, and is what is causing the cooling? But once they're melted, things will warm up? I don't know.

I think that since everything is trying to cool down (isn't this the way thermodynamics or whatever works? Heat must be maintained and added to otherwise everything heads to absolute zero?) it's unlikely we'll boil over.
I don't know how earth works but what they say on TV doesn't seem to fit reality so I guess they are either lying like they often do or they simply don't know but don't want to admit.

It could be that at some point in time the ice is supposed to melt like there is a bigger cycle inside the cycle winter/summer, you know like in Game of throne the winter last very long. It sound stupid but our civilization is so young so there is a lot we don't know yet and our scientist behaved like they know it all but they don't know much, it's all about ego for most of them.
Sometimes. I think it's a bunch of crap!! Sometimes I don't
In regards to people saying that they've noticed their locations getting colder, not warmer, the reason people are freaked out about global warming is because the theory, as far as I understand it (and I'm not a scientist, so don't go quoting me Tongue) is that global warming melts the ice caps, creates disturbances in natural sea levels, then fucks with the local weather, creating drastic changes (either hot OR cold). The big fear around global warming is that global warming will actually potentially lead us to another ice age--don't know how this works, but my limited understanding is basically that again, as the ice shelf in the poles gets smaller, and sea levels rise, climate, wind, cloud coverage, ozone coverage, air density, et cetera et cetera all becomes turbulent, and all hell breaks loose.

The thing is that the science is pretty solid. If you believe in science, global warming isn't up for debate. It's happening, it's been happening for a long time, we're all gonna die, no questions about it.

The big debate is whether or not we as human beings have any noticeable impact on global warming, and if there's actually anything we can do to change it or stop it from happening altogether. One side says yes, we need to implement restrictions on factories and on citizens to stop them from wasting energy, from abusing power, and generally decrease the "Carbon footprint" (basically a single person's negative impact on our natural environment) globally to stop this mega-disaster from happening. The other side says there simply isn't enough proof on whether or not humanity is responsible for global warming, and that there's no point to panicking and essentially taxing and restricting the shit out of families and corporations, which leads to less familial income and less overall job opportunities. Basically, is global warming solvable by conserving energy, and if so, is it worth restricting the day-to-day finances of the average family to drastically make a difference in saving the environment.

That's my basic understanding of it. I might be wrong in some areas of this post, and if so, feel free to point em out.
(.....)
(07-07-2017, 10:20 AM)Alpha360 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know how earth works but what they say on TV doesn't seem to fit reality so I guess they are either lying like they often do or they simply don't know but don't want to admit.

It could be that at some point in time the ice is supposed to melt like there is a bigger cycle inside the cycle winter/summer, you know like in Game of throne the winter last very long. It sound stupid but our civilization is so young so there is a lot we don't know yet and our scientist behaved like they know it all but they don't know much, it's all about ego for most of them.

Yeah I hear you. It could be an El Nino/Nina type thing too. Who's to say?

(07-07-2017, 10:39 AM)Zane Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes. I think it's a bunch of crap!! Sometimes I don't

That's pretty much where I'm at too lol.

(07-07-2017, 10:47 AM)kalmah0804 Wrote: [ -> ]In regards to people saying that they've noticed their locations getting colder, not warmer, the reason people are freaked out about global warming is because the theory, as far as I understand it (and I'm not a scientist, so don't go quoting me Tongue) is that global warming melts the ice caps, creates disturbances in natural sea levels, then fucks with the local weather, creating drastic changes (either hot OR cold). The big fear around global warming is that global warming will actually potentially lead us to another ice age--don't know how this works, but my limited understanding is basically that again, as the ice shelf in the poles gets smaller, and sea levels rise, climate, wind, cloud coverage, ozone coverage, air density, et cetera et cetera all becomes turbulent, and all hell breaks loose.

The thing is that the science is pretty solid. If you believe in science, global warming isn't up for debate. It's happening, it's been happening for a long time, we're all gonna die, no questions about it.

Got any resources we could read to come to the same conclusion?

(07-07-2017, 11:00 AM)Travis Wrote: [ -> ]If you look at an article from 2001, you will see how outrageously dystopian the media's predictions were. They said that by 2015 it was basically going to look like the movie "The day after tomorrow". This was in Time Magazine, an article written by Al Gore.

That is why it is hard for me to fully accept their view, even though climate change is a fact.

All things being equal - More Carbon means hotter temperatures, but all things are never equal, and as a species we have a very incomplete understanding of climate science

Yeah the "doomsday" shit has been going on since people first noticed the sun going down lol! It seems to be human nature to fatalize shit.

But yeah, I'd say it's inconclusive for me at the moment. I've heard a lot of scientists say "it's not up for debate" but never seen the reasons/research they used to come to that conclusion.

I'm open to it of course, but as it stands I'm not confident saying "It's definitely a thing".
There are endless sources as far as the science portion of it goes, removed from politicized "doomsday" bullshit to win votes. You can start here, and if you want to delve into further investigating, just click away on the sources listed at the end of the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

Tongue
(07-07-2017, 11:57 AM)kalmah0804 Wrote: [ -> ]There are endless sources as far as the science portion of it goes, removed from politicized "doomsday" ***** to win votes. You can start here, and if you want to delve into further investigating, just click away on the sources listed at the end of the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

Tongue

Thanks man, I'll look into it.
Science is the new religion, they aren't far from it at least. How many bs do we hear from science everyday, like who build the pyramids for example? That's how far science is when they tell you some slaves have build a pyramid we can't even build today Big Grin

Global warming isn't for debate either, they display their supposed "science/proof" on TV but they aren't asking your opinion, like they aren't going to ask you the next country they should bombard for humanitarian purpose, they may even call that science too at some point.

So in the end whether global warming there is or there is not doesn't really matter because you can't do anything about it. But we will be the first to get the consequences from it. Where I live our cars get taxed by how much they are supposed to pollute the atmosphere. On one hand we have diesel cars that are known to have killed a lot of people directly but are less taxed and on the other hand we are supposed to believe that normal fuel pollute more the atmosphere so they are more taxed. That's how it works in Europe at least. The common denominator in that seems to be money, I don't think they are really scared for earth health yet, we need more natural disaster than this to wake them up.
I am no scientist so I would also just look at the wiki page on Global Warming for a start. For me, I think it odd that almost every country in the world had recognised that global warming is happening and needs to be reversed, but America the debate is entirely different. The Paris Agreement, for instance, to mitigate climate change includes almost every country in the world (how often does this happen?) except America, Syria (obvious reasons), and Nicaragua (who wanted to go even further).

I would however point out, and this is very important when it comes to global warming, that the term implies temperature rises everywhere but there is also the effect of making weather more extreme, both ways. This could be abnormally high temperatures, or abnormally low. I know that if the weather in your area is colder than you remember last year, you may think "oh well global warming is not true then". This is an entirely logical thing to conclude, but there is a complex explanation.

Take one example. Lake Erie always freezes in the winter because it's in a very cold area. Now this year the weather gets a little warmer there and the water does not freeze. This frees up water for evaporation and thus increases the likelihood of heavy rain or snowfall. As a result, in the winter in the area you now have heavy snowfall this year, and there wasn't last year. Thus you experience the winter as being colder, yet the origin of this is the climate getting hotter.
Very good point Lowe, thank you.

I have started reading the Wikipedia article but it seems like a landslide in favor of global warming. I'm trying to be objective and looking for proof rather than speculation.

One thing it shows is a graph of the average temp for years. Very convincing. Need to read more.
Global warming is caused by

1. Magnetic pole changes. Magnetic north is in Siberia now and Magnetic south is is the southern ocean.

2. Solar changes and fluctuations.

3. Earths natural cycles.

Co2 emissions have little effect on global warming and if the Un really wanted to cut down on Co2 emissions, they would go after oil and gas companies. But since they are on the payroll they don't go after them
Pages: 1 2