Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Speakers - A rough Guide by ArcticFox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Speaker guide

Choosing the right speakers so you’re covered for all subliminal listening
Criteria: Stereo and a minimum upper frequency range of 20kHz

Speakers with Stereo Output

Indigo Mindlabs Subliminal require a stereo output for optimum listening. So please understand that Speakers have to be Stereo http://subliminal-talk.com/thread-531.html

I’ll assume unless told otherwise that the speakers need to be in a stereo arrangement, or at least one that is close to a preffered stereo layout. Check the image below for what is considered a standard stereo layout:

[Image: speaker-distance.gif]

Test your stereo output:

Stereo sound test: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php

Speakers with upper frequency range of at least 20 kHz

The Ultrasonic subliminal requires a speaker that has an upper frequency range of at least 20kHz, you could assume most average quality speakers will meet this requirement, but it’s NOT guaranteed. If you plan to use masked track only you do NOT need to be concerned with this value, it’s only for Ultrasonic subs.

Upper frequency range has to be at LEAST 20kHz http://subliminal-talk.com/thread-1447.html

Test your speakers for Ultrasonic compatibility - Frequency tests:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_fre...ckhigh.php
http://www.subliminal-shop.com/product/speaker-test/ [/b]

Added bonus – Having 2 input sources on the same speaker

My speakers have 2 input sources, 1 uses XLR the other uses stereo jacks. This allows me to play two audio sources at the same time. Why is this important?

This means I can listen to Spotify, Radio, Music, TV, etc. on one input and at the SAME TIME play the ultrasonic subliminal on the second input on the same speaker. Sweet!!

Speakers that should make the grade

I’m not going to go into too much detail about the types of speakers. In general as long as you have stereo most speakers will make the grade or Masked tracks. Ultrasonic you will need to be more picky.

Studio Monitors

Typically used by Audio professional, the bottom line is they should create a flat output that doesn’t emphasize a particular frequency and should cover a wide frequency range. Most come with their own built in amplifier (powered) but some (passive) do require a separate amplifier. Generally more expensive but will ultimately provide exceptional audio quality. They are by no means essential for listening to a subliminal.

Couple of things to watch out for is that high end monitors are sold as a single unit, meaning you will have to buy 2 and each one will require its own plug socket to power it. Also they are more fussy about how and where you place them, you will need to get the spacing between them correct in order to get a decent stereo field.

I use studio monitors when sleeping to listen to subs but I also use them to produce music on my computer, which IS essential.

Computer / desktop speakers

Design to work on desk and smaller spaces, are generally cheap and should be the perfect companion for subliminal use in most cases. Can get some really nice high end ones £200+ and some very low end ones £10 and both should do the job.

One thing to note is that if you get a smaller set of lower price ranges speakers (typically) they may not be suitable from a long distance. As they don’t have high output power to cover the distance you will have to turn the volume up higher to cover the distance, this higher volume will distort the audio (because they are cheap) and render the subliminal useless. Again do your research and try before you buy more money doesn’t always mean better speakers.

VERY IMPORTANT TO CHECK THIS IF USING THE ULTRASONIC
It appears that some European Desktop speakers have to conform to EU law and power consumption. This is incorporated into some speakers by automatically turning off if no signal is produced. This could be a game changer if you are using them for Ultrasonic, as they MAY not detect the signal of a US and shutdown after a while without you knowing.

Check with the manufacturer if they will auto shutdown when no signal is detected. Creative speakers have the auto shutdown feature built into a lot of their speakers so are not suitable for Ultrasonics - LISTED HERE http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArtic...?sid=12873

Wireless Stereo Speakers

Designed to be used in a wide range of scenarios such as on the go, in various rooms, travelling, etc. Typically connect via Bluetooth but may be Wi-Fi or other standards and can be a real gamble if you’re serious about your subliminal. You’re on your own here, never tried it and probably won’t given that it’s easy for me to use the cable approach.

Some questions you will need to ask before going wireless:

When playing the Ultrasonic will the device switch off due to an undetected signal? Imagine setting up your player before bed, test it and all’s ok, you tuck yourself in for a good night’s sleep. You think you’re getting 8 hours exposure only to find out a month later that it’s been switching itself of after 30 minutes!

Will the Bluetooth or WIFI compression strip out any of the subliminal data? Is there a way to tell if this happens? I don't know, therefor I wouldn't take the risk.

Do you require 2 wireless speakers to create stereo? Most of these units are sold as single MONO units like SONOS, UE BOOM which can then be paired with a second device to create Stereo. Sounds great BUT how hard is this to set up, and will you have to do this every time (i.e. before bed this could become tedious!) and then how easy is it to play from your device? These MONO devices alone will NOT give you full subliminal exposure, they will work at roughly 45% and are not recommended.

How easy is it to play the subliminal track from your device, does the speaker require some proprietary interface to play the subliminal, is this going to be annoying to do, easy to use, will it work with .flac, etc.
(04-09-2016, 03:52 AM)yeah! Wrote: [ -> ]Arctic fox this is gold, thank you. Learned much.

Is this only for ultrasonic or also for masked?

Would you know how to find the dB level on earbuds and headphones. I have looked online and it uses complex equations beyond my comprehension. I have tried my soundmeter with the foam off and earbud pressed over the hole, but it seems innacurate in that 55-65 is very loud, 16 out of 30 on my mp3 player and earbud combo.

No worries dude, I need to tidy it up a bit and add a bit more info but hopefully will be a good resource for everyone Smile

All of the speakers here will work with masked tracks. Masked subliminals are not dependant on a minimum 20 kHz upper frequency so pretty much any speaker will work, however they must be stereo for maximum effect!

I can't help with earphones as I only use earphones for masked tracks, thats why i didn't get into it in this guide. At a guess you will first have to listen to both masked tracks to calibrate the ultrasonic, then just remember this level. BUT the minimum 20kHz rule still applies if you intend to use ultrasonics with earphones.
(04-09-2016, 03:39 PM)yeah! Wrote: [ -> ]Ok cool, I only use masked and find that my cheap Logitech Z120's that you mention pass the sound test.

edit; *The great thing about these as sleep speakers is that they have a definite volume knob so you can adjust the volume without seeing them and also totally turn them off without needing to stop the loop. This may be worth others considering when buying sleep speakers.*

But I am going to require a new sleep setup as they are too close compared to how far apart they are.

What would happen if they were behind the head but on the wrong side, ie if you were facing them, stereo but if you were facing away, such as sleep thety are behind your head? What if they were upside down?
Just to clarify the upside down bit, imagine a small boombox right way up when facing, then upside down when facing away.

Thanks!

Yep, with masked you should be a-ok with most speakers, the Z120s will be fine.

In terms of stereo field i cant really comment in regards to using them in front or from behind. The main point I want to clarify with the guide is they need to be stereo, and they will also need to be ether side of you to create an optimum stereo field.

So playing a masked track from a laptop for 8 hours is NOT going to get you optimum listening experience. Having the Z120s setup either side of you, even if the distance isn't quite right, will get you much better exposure and optimisation.

So, as long as you have stereo speakers that are either side of you, 1 on the left and 1 on the right then you should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about creating the perfect stereo field - the message im trying to get across here is mono is bad, create the best possible stereo setup, and make sure your speakers are capable of 20kHz for ultrasonics.
Post updated. Only allowed 10 images so had to remove a few. Enjoy!
I have the Audio Engine A2+. They're not very good. In terms of sound quality it's all technically fantastic but I'm yet to find a space small enough for them to be able to fill with sound. They're so small that they sound tinny in every space I've put them. I would take them off the list. Unless you're planning to listen to sound in a small cupboard they're a waste of money.
(05-01-2016, 10:33 PM)ffaux Wrote: [ -> ]I have the Audio Engine A2+. They're not very good. In terms of sound quality it's all technically fantastic but I'm yet to find a space small enough for them to be able to fill with sound. They're so small that they sound tinny in every space I've put them. I would take them off the list. Unless you're planning to listen to sound in a small cupboard they're a waste of money.

Thanks for testing and reporting on the issue, you'd have thought that even though they are small they would pack a punch if the volume was cranked (think Bose satellites) but sadly not as you've reported.

I guess these will work only while sat directly in front of them at your desk. You could get the same from $20 speakers!

Post updated.
The Logitech Z200 speakers recommended above doesn't even meet the minimum requirement of 20k hz.

Am now wondering how is it mentioned and recommended above....

Check this...

[Image: fyl6r7.jpg]
(06-04-2016, 02:48 AM)vivekarora83 Wrote: [ -> ]The Logitech Z200 speakers recommended above doesn't even meet the minimum requirement of 20k hz.

Am now wondering how is it mentioned and recommended above....

Check this...

Thanks for spotting that. Updated the post. Specs change, I wont be keeping this updated if and when they do.

You did the right thing by doing your own research.
(I think this only effects users in the EU. If you have creative speakers you should test to see if the Ultra Sonic track works after a certain time period)

A LARGE list of Creative speakers are not suitable for the Ultrasonic track! This is because they go into standby mode after a few minutes when no signal is detected, even for the wired speakers not just Bluetooth! This could also effect many different brands so its even very important you do your research and check your speakers don't go into standby when no signal detected!

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArtic...?sid=12873

Thanks to Simon for pointing this out. They will still work for masked tracks.
I just bought xmini speakers, which have a upper frequency response of 20k I tested the speakers with the speaker testing file available here :

http://www.subliminal-shop.com/product/speaker-test/

What I have noticed is that the pitch falls down at around 27 seconds, that could be cause the sound file is coming to an end.

Link to the speakers : http://www.x-mini.com/product/x-mini-max...eo-speaker

Am still skepital about using them with ultrasonic, untill I have some expert advice on this...
(06-21-2016, 12:02 AM)vivekarora83 Wrote: [ -> ]I just bought xmini speakers, which have a upper frequency response of 20k I tested the speakers with the speaker testing file available here :

http://www.subliminal-shop.com/product/speaker-test/

What I have noticed is that the pitch falls down at around 27 seconds, that could be cause the sound file is coming to an end.

Link to the speakers : http://www.x-mini.com/product/x-mini-max...eo-speaker

Am still skepital about using them with ultrasonic, untill I have some expert advice on this...

Cool, good info. Like you say it's best to stick with the masked tracks if you are unsure.
Removed the list of speakers. The list may have given the impression that the speakers were recommended and tested - which they were not, and it turns out a lot of them didn't work with the US due to the auto standby feature.