Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Depersonalization/Derealization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys and Shannon,

I've been struggling for years with something that's called Depersonalization/Derealization (DP/DR). This makes me feel like I'm constantly living in a dream. I cannot *feel* the things I touch, as if my hands were not mine. I see everything as still pictures, not like a movie. Emotions seem to be foreign to me, even though I still feel them. I have like a fog, a veil between me and reality, as if everything was just a TV Show I would be watching.

This DP/DR is really awful since I can't experience life fully. I just am not in touch with reality at all, I live in a dream-like state all the time.

I know this may be a very personal request since not a lot of people seem to be experiencing DP/DR. But I would want to know if a sub could be created to resolve this issue... I know about all the research involved etc. but I'm still throwing it out here in case Shannon's Schedule becomes lighter by miracle Tongue

Thanks!
Adri
Look to balance you root chakra.
If you really are experiencing DP/DR consult to a psychologist. It's a serious problem.

Check your symptoms according this (DSM-V):
Quote:Depersonalization

•Lose sense of self
•Unusual sensory experiences
•Limbs feel deformed or enlarged
•Voice sounds different or distant
•Feelings of detachment or disconnection
•Watching self from outside
•Floating above one’s body

Derealization

•World has become unreal
•World appears strange, peculiar, foreign, dream-like
•Objects appear at times strangely diminished in size, at times flat
•Incapable of experiencing emotions
•Feeling as if they were dead, lifeless, mere automatons

It is a serious mental disorder.

@Hercules.

I thought we're science based in here.
Already checked my symptoms against the DSM-V (I got a psychology background, studies I didn't end). All the symptoms are there. I also passed a test which got me one of the highest DP/DR score.

I'm already contacting psychologists who have experience with that, and also neurologists since the root cause can also be neurological.

I only discoverer that what I was experiencing had a name yesterday so I'm now creating multiple streams through which an answer could come from.

Thanks for your advices. I reassure you AlphaMind, I'm not stopping at those forums to find an answer Smile

Hercules, even though as AlphaMind says this is not scientifically based, I'm ready to explore all avenues! Could you elaborate a bit ? I don't really see the connection even though from what I know the Root Chakra is the one grounding you in reality ?

From my very limited knowledge about DP/DR there's a problem in the brain that inhibits emotional colouring of reality. Could we correlate that to "root chakra" ?

Thanks a lot guys Smile
Great, don't wanna losing quality people over here anymore Big Grin

Btw, I am an undergraduate psychology student on my fifth semester Tongue
(12-04-2015, 02:36 AM)Adri Wrote: [ -> ]Already checked my symptoms against the DSM-V (I got a psychology background, studies I didn't end). All the symptoms are there. I also passed a test which got me one of the highest DP/DR score.

I'm already contacting psychologists who have experience with that, and also neurologists since the root cause can also be neurological.

I only discoverer that what I was experiencing had a name yesterday so I'm now creating multiple streams through which an answer could come from.

Thanks for your advices. I reassure you AlphaMind, I'm not stopping at those forums to find an answer Smile

Hercules, even though as AlphaMind says this is not scientifically based, I'm ready to explore all avenues! Could you elaborate a bit ? I don't really see the connection even though from what I know the Root Chakra is the one grounding you in reality ?

From my very limited knowledge about DP/DR there's a problem in the brain that inhibits emotional colouring of reality. Could we correlate that to "root chakra" ?

Thanks a lot guys Smile

Everything in your body is connected, your solar and root chakras might be unbalanced. It had been scientifically proven that your gut has control over your brain. Have you been taking any antibiotics lately. Or in your life
Do you struggle with anxiety? I've also dealt with depersonalization/derealization. In my experience it comes about when the nervous system is overloaded. It's sort of like a defense mechanism to prevent any more stimulus from wreaking havoc on your body, but the consequence is that numbness or disconnect from reality. Since running EHPRA I've gradually become more connected, but I still have my moments.
(12-04-2015, 03:05 AM)AlphaMind Wrote: [ -> ]Great, don't wanna losing quality people over here anymore Big Grin

Btw, I am an undergraduate psychology student on my fifth semester Tongue

Oh that's cool, I was also an undergrad in psychology last year, second semester...

I dropped out because I didn't like the "intellectual cramming" that was happening at my university.

Happy to see someone who really has what it takes to become a great psychologist! Most of my peers there had no real motivation to become a psychologist, it was depressing in some way :p

Quote:Everything in your body is connected, your solar and root chakras might be unbalanced. It had been scientifically proven that your gut has control over your brain. Have you been taking any antibiotics lately. Or in your life
Thank you Smile ! Indeed that may be an explanation. I've been experiencing DP/DR for as long as I can remember... No real cause, it's always been there. I got Chronic DP, not Acute DP. And no, no antibiotics intake...

From my research it's psychologically based, dysfunctional family which resulted in weird attachment patterns, and I didn't really develop a healthy sense of identity because of those attachment patterns and more factors (that's an over-simplification but an ok resume)

Quote:Do you struggle with anxiety? I've also dealt with depersonalization/derealization. In my experience it comes about when the nervous system is overloaded. It's sort of like a defense mechanism to prevent any more stimulus from wreaking havoc on your body, but the consequence is that numbness or disconnect from reality. Since running EHPRA I've gradually become more connected, but I still have my moments.
I don't. I know DP/DR is in a lot of cases related to Anxiety. In my case from my research it's more based on a dysfunctional family which created Anxiety as a child. A lot of things that happened in my family and in my social life led to a dissociation to defend myself. That's great to see you've been running EPRHA successfully with this issue! I personally ran 2 months of EPRHA followed by a 6-month sub that includes it... Still I got no results. Maybe my issues are more deep rooted than yours (not minimizing your issues of course! just guessing).

I bought a course from a guy who cured himself from DP/DR and I'm going through it at the moment, I'm still in the theoretical part right now, but I really hope the exercises will help me ! If you want the reference I can give it to you via PM, it seems a pretty solid course in my opinion... But would be better for me to go through it and see if it does a difference or not, don't want to make you buy a course that doesn't work haha Smile

Thanks for all your answers, this is a real quality forum with quality members!
Adri
Have you tried yoga?
(12-04-2015, 05:22 PM)mat422 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you struggle with anxiety? I've also dealt with depersonalization/derealization. In my experience it comes about when the nervous system is overloaded. It's sort of like a defense mechanism to prevent any more stimulus from wreaking havoc on your body, but the consequence is that numbness or disconnect from reality. Since running EHPRA I've gradually become more connected, but I still have my moments.

I had times in the past where I would wonder if I had DP or DR. Now, I think it's just me emotionally disconnecting myself from my surroundings, because I am basically only with my sister and mom all day. How do you know if you have DP? I know I don't have DR because that's even more severe, but I questioned about whether or not I had DP in the past. I don't think I do, but I sometimes get paranoid and wonder what if I've had it for the longest time, and just didn't know?