Subliminal Talk

Full Version: More freedom for the guys who keep journals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My idea is people who are kind enough to share their journals to have more freedom and more priviliges. EXAMPLE: the journal writer to be able to block certain people from posting in their threads. Negativity is not needed.

After all people who are generous enough to maintain their journal so that the journal can help others need to feel more secure and valuable.The guys with the journals are one of the most valuable to the site,as far as I can see.
Haha, that's a very interesting idea!

Thank you for the words about journalers, I do understand your points.

While if this was already implemented before, I definately would've used it for a few people in mind...now, I don't know if I would restrict access to my journal. Even if I do get constantly attacked for just simply explaining how my SM3 run is going (badly). People seem to really take it personal when their favourite program isn't godly for another person I've realised, it's silly it is what it is. The drive-by comments by armchair experts get really annoying at times. As a result, I've just hugely curtailed my journal posts. With how badly the run has gone, I didn't want to seem like I was complaining, as I'm not, I'm simply reporting my run in my journal. But, people always misunderstand and it resorts to arguments and nonsense I have no time or energy for.

I don't think restricting access ultimately would be a good idea. As sometimes, people need to see another perspective to show them something about themselves they may be lacking. That may not be able to happen if you only allow in yes men to your journal.
We should always see another perspective.. not a whole new world of cynisms and insults we are not familiar with Big Grin
If they want to help SO much, the pm is still an option .
One should have these administrator rights,and then decide what to do with them.Because not all people can handle harsh words,and not all the people who criticize are considerate,some are plain offensive and humiliating.
Would somebody restrict a person like you from posting, Catman? 'Offering another perspective' is different when gotten from you, and when gotten from a person like Ryan.
There is one way, post your results when you finished, after a month so no one can mess with your journal or much less.

For example you post your stage 2 results when you are on stage 4. Or even better you post your results only when you are completly finished.
Post less often, more concentrated journal, keep an offline journal on your computer and post when you have a lot to write.

Also you can make 2 thread, one that you have all the comments in it and one that is bloat free. When you are finished with your run you post all your journal that you kept offline in another thread with a special mention.

I think that to give admin right to everyone who own their thread will be abused and in the end not possible. Censorship is not advised.
It's a good idea but sometimes journaling is often a source of mental release. It comes back to the old saying "a problem shared is a problem halved"

Journals are personal experiences and people should be free to write whatever is relevant, however often.
http://subliminal-talk.com/thread-5263-p...l#pid70763
(03-13-2015, 06:35 PM)Andrew Wrote: [ -> ]Both Shannon and I have no problem giving users the freedom to lock their own threads in journaling areas. However there is currently no way for me to give you that.

The forum software had a major update rendering all the old add-ons largely incompatible. I have not switched the forum to the new version because we rely on some of these plugins and when we finally do I'll probably have to take it down for a while.

No new add-ons have been created to allow users to lack their own threads and it's beyond me to create one myself. The problem is with the built in software I can't specify the scope of locking so anyone could lock or unlock anyone else's thread.