Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Speaker Setup for AM6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys. So I will be starting AM6 in a couple of days. I just wanted to make sure if my speaker setup is okay.

When I run the silent track on my speakers, I hear a static, high-pitched noise. The kind of the sound an old TV set makes. My speaker spec says that it can handle 75Hz to 25 kHz.

First of all, should I worry about the lower frequencies (20Hz-75Hz), whether I'm using the masked or the silent tracks?

Also, I attached a snapshot of what I see on FrequenSee with the silent track. I think it looks okay, but I wanted a feedback, to make sure.

If everything's okay, I'm guessing that my hearing is sensitive? I'm almost 29, I don't think I should be hearing that much of a high pitch Tongue Otherwise, is there anything else I can try to make it fully silent? Not that I mind the static... I kinda enjoy it actually. But I wanna make this as efficient as I can Smile

Looking for your feedback!
(06-06-2015, 03:52 PM)rosdomh Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys. So I will be starting AM6 in a couple of days. I just wanted to make sure if my speaker setup is okay.

When I run the silent track on my speakers, I hear a static, high-pitched noise. The kind of the sound an old TV set makes. My speaker spec says that it can handle 75Hz to 25 kHz.

First of all, should I worry about the lower frequencies (20Hz-75Hz), whether I'm using the masked or the silent tracks?

Also, I attached a snapshot of what I see on FrequenSee with the silent track. I think it looks okay, but I wanted a feedback, to make sure.

If everything's okay, I'm guessing that my hearing is sensitive? I'm almost 29, I don't think I should be hearing that much of a high pitch Tongue Otherwise, is there anything else I can try to make it fully silent? Not that I mind the static... I kinda enjoy it actually. But I wanna make this as efficient as I can Smile

Looking for your feedback!

Set up looks good. Speaker specs are fine and the volume is about right. I tend to have the ultrasonic at -30dB As long as you're not getting that crackling spitting sound then the speakers are good. Did you run the speaker test file?
My findings is that unless you are using mid- to high-end speakers, you are best off using the stream and ocean masked subliminals. I have found all the speakers I've used costing less than $150 unable to maintain frequencies above 15 kHz, often giving off a high-pitch squeel. Currently, I'm using Audioengine A2+ and have found them to be fantastic for all the subliminals.

Lower frequencies are not need.

The FrequenSee looks similar to mine.
First, make sure you're testing AT THE SOURCE to make sure it's as accurate as possible. Like an inch or so from the front of the speaker. It should never be higher than -32db there, it's loud enough, trust me. It's been tested in concerts and still works, so don't worry.

Aside from that, lower frequencies aren't the issue with masked, they're made to be within the range of normal human speech, which pretty much all speakers can produce. However, the ultrasonics should indeed be silent. So, any sound especially like a staticky sound or anything else, either means it's too loud, and judging by your Frequensee that doesn't seem to be the case (unless you're testing further away and NOT at the source like you're supposed to of course). OR, it's a case of the speakers being unable to properly produce the ultrasonic, and it results in distortion which won't get you the result you want. That seems to be the issue here. Many manufacturers list stuff as 20-khz or beyond, but to save money, don't actually MEET those specs in reality when tested. And since marketing is the issue there, and most people don't listen to stuff too far above the normal range of human speech, they chance it and misrepresent to appear to be higher quality than they truly are. That seems to be the case here. You'll need to change speakers, or use masked with these ones. I used masked for a lot of my AM6 run before switching to ultrasonic, and they both worked great. They both have the SAME messages in them, it's just a difference in delivery methods.

All of this is in the forum in stickies and threads and the manual etc. Explore around, there's a wealth of info to get you the most out of your listening.
(06-07-2015, 04:51 AM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]First, make sure you're testing AT THE SOURCE to make sure it's as accurate as possible. Like an inch or so from the front of the speaker. It should never be higher than -32db there, it's loud enough, trust me. It's been tested in concerts and still works, so don't worry.

Aside from that, lower frequencies aren't the issue with masked, they're made to be within the range of normal human speech, which pretty much all speakers can produce. However, the ultrasonics should indeed be silent. So, any sound especially like a staticky sound or anything else, either means it's too loud, and judging by your Frequensee that doesn't seem to be the case (unless you're testing further away and NOT at the source like you're supposed to of course). OR, it's a case of the speakers being unable to properly produce the ultrasonic, and it results in distortion which won't get you the result you want. That seems to be the issue here. Many manufacturers list stuff as 20-khz or beyond, but to save money, don't actually MEET those specs in reality when tested. And since marketing is the issue there, and most people don't listen to stuff too far above the normal range of human speech, they chance it and misrepresent to appear to be higher quality than they truly are. That seems to be the case here. You'll need to change speakers, or use masked with these ones. I used masked for a lot of my AM6 run before switching to ultrasonic, and they both worked great. They both have the SAME messages in them, it's just a difference in delivery methods.

All of this is in the forum in stickies and threads and the manual etc. Explore around, there's a wealth of info to get you the most out of your listening.

Isn't it also possible to hear the high pitch? This happened with me when my friend accidentally turned on my silent subliminal and played it through the TV speakers. It was so loud, I heard it from the hallway, but he didn't hear a thing sitting right in front of it.
[/quote]

Isn't it also possible to hear the high pitch? This happened with me when my friend accidentally turned on my silent subliminal and played it through the TV speakers. It was so loud, I heard it from the hallway, but he didn't hear a thing sitting right in front of it.
[/quote]

I find it questionable that the TV speakers are capable of that high a frequency, so they are creating a sound in the high-end of audible range. Speakers that are truly capable of meeting > 17.5 kHz cost about $250 and up. It is unlikely that a TV that cost $500-700 are outfitted with such speakers.

As a test, I have ramped up my Audioengine speakers to the max for a few minutes without anyone hearing anything. The FrequenSee showed a dB reading of ~ -20dB which screaming loud and not a peep was heard out of my speakers.

In the end... you are using cheap speakers for the ultrasonics and that is why you are hearing a high pitched squeal.
(09-21-2014, 07:54 PM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]Both appear to be hitting 20 kHz, but the iMac speakers appear to be, by your description, doing a much better job of expressing it than the Logitechs. It sounds like the Logitechs are suffering from some sort of wear and tear in some way. Loose connection maybe. You should not hear anything after 18-19 seconds on the test audio unless you have exceptional high frequency hearing, and even then it should be even and continuous rise in pitch from both stereo channels.

Shannon said that here: http://subliminal-talk.com/thread-4735.html

I've ran the audio test on all the speakers I use for the ultrasonics. All equipment, including my tvs passed the test and I could clearly hear that continuous rise in pitch without a problem until it gets silent at the very end of the test. I also tested my computer speakers which shouldn't pass, they did have distortion. So it's definitely possible to hear the pitch with the proper equipment.
I think you're confusing the high pitch sound (which is normal as some people can hear it), with a static sound as described by OP, which can suggest it's at too loud a volume, or simply equipment that can't reproduce the audio correctly and is distorting it Maxx55.
Thanks for the feedback, guys Smile

For the audio test, I did run it, and I hear the pitch going up for about 25 seconds, and then goes silent. No crackles. However, I do hear some other sound going up and down in volume in the background as well. Not sure if that's supposed to happen.

My speakers are Polk Audio Atrium4. If any of you guys have heard of it or even used it for the ultrasonic tracks successfully, lemme know.

Also, sorry for the confusion. The noise I hear when I run the silent track is a clean and smooth high pitched tone. No crackles or anything like that.
(06-07-2015, 04:04 PM)rosdomh Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the feedback, guys Smile

For the audio test, I did run it, and I hear the pitch going up for about 25 seconds, and then goes silent. No crackles. However, I do hear some other sound going up and down in volume in the background as well. Not sure if that's supposed to happen.

My speakers are Polk Audio Atrium4. If any of you guys have heard of it or even used it for the ultrasonic tracks successfully, lemme know.

Also, sorry for the confusion. The noise I hear when I run the silent track is a clean and smooth high pitched tone. No crackles or anything like that.

You said static, which is the case when the signal isn't reproduced properly. Polk makes good speakers, and those are well beyond the specs needed. But if it isn't static, and is only a high pitched sound, then that means the volume is probably set too high. Make sure it's no more than -32db at the source, like an inch from the speaker. Test in Frequensee, if it's higher lower it, and listen for the sound, keep lowering it until you get a -db rating where the high pitched sound isn't audible anymore and post back and we'll see if it's good. At this point, it's looking like it was just set too loud.
(06-07-2015, 07:52 PM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]You said static, which is the case when the signal isn't reproduced properly. Polk makes good speakers, and those are well beyond the specs needed. But if it isn't static, and is only a high pitched sound, then that means the volume is probably set too high. Make sure it's no more than -32db at the source, like an inch from the speaker. Test in Frequensee, if it's higher lower it, and listen for the sound, keep lowering it until you get a -db rating where the high pitched sound isn't audible anymore and post back and we'll see if it's good. At this point, it's looking like it was just set too loud.

Yea. Sorry about the confusion...

Attached is what I got from FrequenSee at the source. The volume level is around -32 dB, but I still hear it. I'm guessing it just has to do with my hearing. Anyway, I suppose I'll just have to try them both and compare how they're affecting me.

Thanks for your help! Big Grin