Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Listening with good hifi headphones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Has anyone noticed how much more powerful subs are while using a good pair of hifi headphones? I mean half an hour seems to really have a big effect on me. I'm guessing half an hour on good headphones is more like a couple of hours worth on speakers.
I made a similar experience when I used some hifi-phones at the start of a stage of AM6. I fell asleep and had some dreams with intense fear in it. I wasn't sure if it's the beginning of the stage or the hifi-equipment. I tried to use these headphones again, but nothing similar happened since then. So, I don't know if it was a placebo, the beginning of a stage, a coincidence or really the intense effect of the equipment. More interesting that you noticed that.

What brand and model are you using? Also which audio source/interface?
Got sony headphones that go up to 22khz
(01-07-2015, 11:52 AM)AriGold Wrote: [ -> ]I made a similar experience when I used some hifi-phones at the start of a stage of AM6. I fell asleep and had some dreams with intense fear in it. I wasn't sure if it's the beginning of the stage or the hifi-equipment. I tried to use these headphones again, but nothing similar happened since then. So, I don't know if it was a placebo, the beginning of a stage, a coincidence or really the intense effect of the equipment. More interesting that you noticed that.

What brand and model are you using? Also which audio source/interface?

I'm using Sennheiser HD215 headphones, which are the ones I use when I'm working on a computer or on the exercise bike. Freq. response: 12 Hz to 22 KHz. In fact I use a Philips Fidelio X1 in my music system, so I'm tempted to burn the subs to cd and have a listen through them. They are very different, but very good sounding phones so it will be interesting.
(01-07-2015, 09:11 PM)LeoistheSun Wrote: [ -> ]Got sony headphones that go up to 22khz

Which ones ?

Headphones/ear buds don't half turn the impact up. They make a HUGE difference with me personally.
I have some cheap headphones that go from 10 to 30.000 Hz. They have a high resolution, sound great, but are a little bit low on lows and high on highs.
The ones I used and had that intense fear dream within a nap (30 minutes) were the AKG K141. Sound awesome, more bass but not really great to wear. I used the trickling stream track. I don't know if for the trickling stream a setting with more bass is better, but I think so because of the voices in the background (of the sub, not my head).
I remember Shannon said something about "Jazz settings or neutral" but that was for the ultrasonics. As far as I know the frequency range does not have to be that big if you use the masked tracks. But I'd like to hear some input from others users and if the Grandmaster himself finds the time, Shannon some experience or advice of you would be great.
(01-08-2015, 07:07 AM)AriGold Wrote: [ -> ]I have some cheap headphones that go from 10 to 30.000 Hz. They have a high resolution, sound great, but are a little bit low on lows and high on highs.
The ones I used and had that intense fear dream within a nap (30 minutes) were the AKG K141. Sound awesome, more bass but not really great to wear. I used the trickling stream track. I don't know if for the trickling stream a setting with more bass is better, but I think so because of the voices in the background (of the sub, not my head).
I remember Shannon said something about "Jazz settings or neutral" but that was for the ultrasonics. As far as I know the frequency range does not have to be that big if you use the masked tracks. But I'd like to hear some input from others users and if the Grandmaster himself finds the time, Shannon some experience or advice of you would be great.

I think accuracy, information retrieval and dynamics are more important than extension, with the masked subs anyway. My Fidelio X1s go from 10 Hz to 40 kHz, but I can't hear 20 kHz let alone 40!
So the Sennheiser were the ones you had good experience with? Also, did you try the Fidelio X1 and have you felt a difference to the Sennheiser?
I nearly listen to masked tracks all the time with my in-ears overnight or with headphones when working at my computer.
(01-08-2015, 09:25 AM)AriGold Wrote: [ -> ]So the Sennheiser were the ones you had good experience with? Also, did you try the Fidelio X1 and have you felt a difference to the Sennheiser?
I nearly listen to masked tracks all the time with my in-ears overnight or with headphones when working at my computer.

Yes the Senns. I'm listening to them now as I'm typing. I will try the X1s over the weekend when I've burnt a cd and I'll play it with a decent cd player. I'll report back then.
So, anything new to report?
Shannon, do you have some input?