Subliminal Talk

Full Version: General Usage Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Running AM6. Most of my exposure comes from the ultrasonic tracks while I sleep. Here is my setup:
  • Logitech Z623 speaker set—it rocks, and yes it meets the frequency requirement.
  • The speakers face each other—each on a stand just above pillow height on either side of my queen size bed.
  • They are connected to an iPod that loops the ultrasonic track.
  • I use FrequenSee every other day to verify that each speaker is producing an output ranging between -30 and -27 dB at the source. I measure by pointing my iPhone's mic 1.5" away from each speaker.

Is my understanding of speaker calibration correct?

I am assuming that output at the source means volume at the speaker and not volume at the target i.e. my ear.

What concerns me is that output drops 10dB for every foot away from the speaker. I tend to favour one side of the bed, which means I'm usually be closer to the left speaker. The distance between the speakers is 5' and the furthest I'm away from the right one is 3-4'. So on any given night I'm getting between -70 and -60 dB from the right speaker and between -50 and -40 dB from the left. Is that adequate? I mean it doesn't help that I can't consciously hear the ultrasonics!

In terms of sound direction and my positioning, the speakers are subtly inclined by design, so they aren't pointing directly at my ears (considering tilting them forward). As well, I start out sleeping on my back but usually end up on my side.

I get 8-9 hours of exposure a night this way, and supplement with 1.5-3 hours of trickling stream exposure via headphones during the day.

I'm not experiencing as much resistance nor am I as fatigued as I expected—compared to what I've read in other journals. Maybe it's the naturalizer.

I should also mention that my headphones (Parrot Zik) have applied an EQ adjustment to the trickling stream track up until today. Turning the EQ on sounds like the equivalent of pulling a blanket off of whatever's playing. I turned the EQ off because I figured native was better with the sub. Is it possible that the EQ has interfered with the effectiveness of my headphone listening?

Thanks I know this is lengthy.
I wish someone would address this.
This is really my opinion as guys here from IML will be able to give a better answer.

What concerns me is that output drops 10dB for every foot away from the speaker. I tend to favour one side of the bed, which means I'm usually be closer to the left speaker. The distance between the speakers is 5' and the furthest I'm away from the right one is 3-4'. So on any given night I'm getting between -70 and -60 dB from the right speaker and between -50 and -40 dB from the left. Is that adequate?

Have you tried calibrating with the trickling stream? Play the trickling stream track and then lie in your bed and position your head where it usually lies. Adjust the volume until you hear the lowest sound of the track. Then switch to ultrasonic.

You can try to do an experiment and check if your speakers do work. Download Absolute Self Confidence and listen to the ultrasonic for 3-5 days. You should get a reaction, resistance, or at least an improvement. If you do see a change, then you have proven that its working.
Ok I simplified the post that was here because I really need an answer.

My speakers are putting out -27—measured at the speaker. The calibration guide says not to go over this, but what if there is noise in the room competing with the ultrasonic?

I added a humidifier this winter and it sounds like a plug-in fan set to high. I tried playing trickling stream and ocean surf at the current volume, and I struggle to hear the low points.

Is it ok to go up from -27 relative to the noise in the room? Is there a ceiling beyond -27 that should be observed?

Would like to hear from Shannon on this one.
I would really appreciate an answer.
I can't answer your entire question but in my experience Logitech is not that great for playing subs. After a while they crackle and lose effectiveness. You might feel better using the masked track overnight. If you can put up with it.
hhhhh
(03-05-2015, 08:17 AM)XyzN Wrote: [ -> ]I actually use the same Z623 speakers myself, been using them for a month. I'd have vivid dreams of women the first week on Ultrasonic, using BIATBW, that's enough to tell me they're working. My speakers would play overnight about 6-7 feet away from my bed.
Recently made the switch to Masked overnight mostly because it helps block out my noisy family when I go to bed early haha.

Ultrasonic can bypass noise easily. Shannon already confirmed it. :-)
I have two speakers for my bed listening, they're logitechs as well, maybe even the same model.

I'll say that ultrasonics can indeed bypass noise, as long as you're not trying to sleep through a concert, it's more than fine. Shannon in fact tested this theory in a party/concert situation some time ago and it was proven to be effective EVEN in that environment. Ultrasonics seem to "fly above" all normal conscious hearing stuff. Picture a stealth bomber flying over WWII AA guns lol.

I will say you seem to have quite a drop off in decibels, that's a concern. Keep in mind angling the speaker JUST so makes a big difference in volume, it does for my speakers too. Try to angle them as good as you can, I move around a lot in my sleep and it can be a pain. I have set mine up a bit differently, I have them set so that no matter where I am in the top part of the bed, the speakers are no less than -50db, so it's a variance of -35db to -50db which is good. I may have a smaller bed than you so YMMV, but that's been a good system for me. Except I don't dream with ultrasonics and I'm making a thread to ask Shannon if this is a concern or not.

Hope that helps you!
(03-10-2015, 06:35 AM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]Except I don't dream with ultrasonics and I'm making a thread to ask Shannon if this is a concern or not.

Hope that helps you!

Okay, this is the same experience I've opened a thread with, just a few hours ago.... I thought my brain simply "stopped" listening to the recordings, like it somehow learned to ignore it, because my dreams simply vanished since I switched to ultrasonics.

I'm kind of concerned. I think the subs (at least the ultra track) may have stopped working for me. Please post about this when you get an answer.
Sorry I did not see this sooner.

Calibrating to -27 dB at the source, you will fill the entire room with sound. It may drop 10 dB per foot, but that should be considered with the trickling stream track playing. It's not as bad as it sounds, really.

If you want to use it at a constant volume, use headphones with a masked track.

Passionflower, if you do a search, I already answered that question. It hasn't stopped working, but you'll have to find the previous explanation as to why I say that. I am about to drop from exhaustion right now.
Follow up question:

I am thinking of using a portable speaker for ultrasonics. It's frequency range is rated as follows:

70Hz-20KHz +/- 6dB, 0.5m

In the instructions for AM6, a range of 20Hz-20KHz is discussed. Emphasis is place on the high end, as 20KHz is absolutely necessary. How important is the low end? Is my speaker sufficient?

Come to think of it the speakers (Logitech Z623) I used throughout my first run of AM6 were rated 35 Hz-20 KHz.
Masked tracks occupy the "low" end of the spectrum compared to ultrasonics. And maskeds are made within the normal range of human speech, so I'm sure they're fine for maskeds Essy. However, I've bought two portable bluetooth speakers so far, and each time, I make them let me test the speaker test, AND a sub with Frequensee before I buy it to make sure it can play ultrasonics fine. I don't want to take it home, figure out it won't work for the purpose I'm buying it for, and then have to go back and get hassled about a refund or "exchange only" BS.

That should help you out man!