Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Regarding first 3 stages of BASE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Shannon,

I have a quite complex issue regarding BASE. I think I know the answer, but I need more suggestions, or one definitive answer in a way.

Basically, I am a student majoring in design, but I also have a side business which is what I am working on right now. The first stage I went from working 18 hours a day on my business aside from school work, to stopping the business and changing direction on learning about the subject. The reason for doing that is the side business MAY not be as profitable once I can use my expertise to make money, but that needs to take a quite lengthy amount of time without making any money. It's the period of laying out the foundations, so to speak.

Now I am almost onto the 2/3 of stage 2. Yes, I agree that I enjoy the motivation the sub brings me. But a significant difference I find is that, whenever I am working on my business, I have SUPER strong motivation, like 12/10, whreas when I am trying to learn new things for design and practicing, or something that doesn't seem to produce direct results atm, I have less motivation, say, 6/10. But I clearly know that I should have spent more effort on practicing design, KAIZENing my way up my career. The end result, viewing in the long term approach, will be more rewarding than the current side business I have.

In stage 1 when I am solely working on my business, my business improves quickly. My focus seems to stick only on business and I just *know* what I need to do everyday. But right now on stage 2 where I am at a situation thinking I should probably work on design, read more stuff, and do business at the same time, my mind seems to have diluted its focus, like it's still constantly searching for an answer. In the breaks of day I actually don't have a sense of what to do, like I am puzzled.

Would you say that's influenced by the "finding an overarching goal" in the first few stages? Should I choose one direction and stick to nothing else, rather than trying to do everything at the same time? Or should I just let the sub decide for me, without changing what I am doing right now?

For the second question, I know I am supposed* to choose learning design because that is more important in the long run. I have tried to consciously switch my attention towards working on my design in stage 1, but my mind seems to be disagree and pulled me back instantly to working on my side business. Right now I don't want to spend time on design as I don't have as much motivations towards it, like I feel it's not my "center" or some sort. I am afraid that choosing the wrong direction will be just ineffective.

I am quite confused.

Please Shannon, and everyone else gives me some valuable opinion.

Thanks.

Jake
Excellent opinion, Alphareal.

I am now at a point where I have become more accepting of my current situation, which is to work on my business as the main goal. I figured that design isn't my true passion, after all. Working on business and living the entrepreneurship lifestyle is what I want to pursue.

Don't know if the sub has created this effect, but for now, I will do WELL on my major, but the main focus will still be business.

Other than that, thanks for the opinion. How is BASE doing for you? Any good results so far? I don't know about everyone else, but SLEEPING has really become an issue for me now. I love the fact that I am learning and doing a lot everyday, but my mind just keeps on racing like it wouldn't let me rest. Big Grin

Jake
Jake, I'm with you on this... I understand where you are coming from! I'm about the same way as you on BASE, and I find myself losing sight of the big picture / long term goals a lot of the time, to work on the shorter term goals. This wasn't immediately identifiable, but I have come to realize this since it comes up more often than before, and I definitely did not operate like this before.