Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Stereo Sound?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought a new mini capsule speaker (XMI X-mini 2) to play subs on and it seems to be working well. It has 20khz frequency response and I tested it the way that Shannon mentioned in another thread. Everything seems fine. The only thing is I don't think it has stereo sound. Is this a problem? This speaker issue is turning out to be a nightmare Undecided

Lol, I had the same thought after I bought a couple of X-mini I's, but first of all I can vouch for that they're working, and your has a better sound quality than mine. Also Wildflower used a single capsule speaker as well.

Shannon addressed in one of the threads (something about a guy who had one faulty satellite or earbud, while he wanted to continue using the subliminals) that you do need both channels for maximum effect, but what I got from that, that it doesn't matter if it's coming from a single source, as long as both channels run through it.

Hehe, too bad the dual X-mini's were all 18 kHz :p
Quote:Also Wildflower used a single capsule speaker as well.

You can stack those minis to get stereo if you want and that is the way I did it. I was only using the Mini for day time listening at work; when at home or sleeping I use my big Panasonic stereo. I get the bast majority of exposure through my home stereo, although I can vouch that the Mini's do work; even as singles.
This is a great question...so as long as both channels are coming out, although via one speaker things should be ok (which I believe shouldn't be mono)? If someone can get Shannon over to this thread that would be sweet...
Yeah I agree, it would be good to get a reply from Shannon on this one.
Quote:Stereo recordings often cannot be played on monaural systems without a significant loss of fidelity. Since each microphone records each wavefront at a slightly different time, the wavefronts are out of phase; as a result, constructive and destructive interference can occur if both tracks are played back on the same speaker. This phenomenon is known as phase cancellation.

- Wikipedia

Hmmm, now I'm really starting to wonder what Shannon has to say about this.
Yeah, me too Jay. Just gotta be patient I guess. Hopefully he will see this thread soon.
Stereo only. Sorry, guys. If it's not a two-speaker/headphone set up, only one channel can come through. Mono will have some effect, but it really isn't suggested.
So Shannon, as long as there are 2 speakers/headphones then it will be okay?

As long as there are two STEREO speakers, and it is played on a player that handles STEREO SOUND, you have stereo reproduction and it's working at maximum.
Okay, I understand, the speakers must be stereo and the player must also be stereo.

At the moment I'm having problems finding speakers that match up to the requirements. I've found speakers that are stereo but do not go up to 20khz and I've found speakers that do go up to 20khz but are mono.

Today I received a stereo speaker set that was supposed to have a 20khz FR but when it arrived I discovered it only went up to 18khz. I'm going to have to send it back.

Not really sure what to do. I just can't seem to find any that are suitable. Will just have to keep looking.

Edit:

Problem solved. Finally found some quality speakers. Will make a post on the speaker thread.