Subliminal Talk

Full Version: How long does it take to form a habit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright so forget the 32 days, what if it's really an average of 66 days, which this study has been done.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0908/09080401

Found this study from here originally:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/...8-day-rule
Thanks for sharing!
The first link shows a perfect summary of everything you need to know about habits, doesn't it?
Maybe I can skip the book "The Power of Habit" after all Smile
Hypnosis may help you develop habits much quicker than 66 days.

I like to have one of Shannon's streaming water sub playing at a fairly high volume on my laptop in my bedroom whenever I am in there.

I call it my amazing waterfall and it reassures me the covert messages hidden in the water will be going into my brain.

I don't like the water being turned off now that I am using a 5g sub which I will probably use for a whole year. It is like wearing a seat belt for car safety - and me not missing out with lost waterfall time.

"Time on my ears" is critical to me getting results from my 5g sub - I absolutely want the benefits the sub can give me. There is nothing for me to worry about, I just have to keep the waterfall running.

It didn't take 66 days to develop the habit of needing my waterfall - more like 10 days.
One study doesn't mean a damned thing. There are studies done all the time that contradict one another, for as many reasons as there are grains of sand on the each. Unfortunately, when the layman readsy about a study, they believe that every new study must be "the truth" as opposied to "a possible truth", because they ignore the qualifiers in the statements. They do this because they assume that science - and anything labeled "scientific" - is automatically infallible.

It's not.

Hundreds of studies have been done on whether or not subliminals even have an effect, for decades and decades, and even after all this time, about half of them still insist that there's nothing to subliminal messaging! "Science" is only just recently coming to the point of tipping the scales in favor of the (long established) fact that they do work, when created and used properly. A lot of people can be heard exasperatedly saying, "Duh!" to that one.

But just because one study says something, doesn't mean jack. The scientific method relies on repetition of experiments and studies to generate a serious possibility that something might be true. Not is... might be. So maybe 66 days on average is right... maybe it's not... maybe the "news" left something out... maybe the study is flawed... maybe the numbers are only valid for certain factors, or in certain directions... and on and on.