Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Did I fail the speaker test ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I just bought a sound system looking to play ultrasonics.

The speakers were marked in the 20 Hz to 20 kHz range so I thought I was good to go.. Did the speaker test first on my laptop so I'd know what to expect. - Sound pitch started low then went up to the point where I couldn't hear it anymore. No static whatsoever. - Success !

Then I took out the pendrive with the speaker test on it and jammed it into my newly bought Panasonic SA-PM500 system. Test started out perfect, pitch starting low than rising.. Then 10 seconds into it, the sound goes all crazy. Pitch is going low, high, low, high, low, high... This continues until the test ends at about the 30 second mark. - Whats this all about ?

After the test I'm thinking I got conned, and those speaker specs are no where near the 20 KHz mark. I then ran a ultrasonic sub.. - Static ! pop, pop, pop... even at low levels.

I am now thinking to toss the speakers and get new speakers in a different brand to use on this system. Thing is they ADVISE AGAINST using speakers other than the ones that came with the system. They say it could damage the speaker/system by doing so. - So I'm stuck with this shit, or should I just go for it ?

These are the new speakers I wanted to go for :

http://www.audioequipment.ie/en/audio-pr...10-dc.html

Frequency range: 48 - 35.000 Hz

I'm sure these will hold up to the "speaker test" but is it a good idea for me to run these speakers on the Panasonic ?

Panasonic speaker 40W out max
New speaker 100W out max
Those speakers are definitely not suitable for use with ultrasonics if they give those results on the speaker test, and while using ultrasonics.

As to the rest, I cannot say if it's just a way to get you to stay with the brand, or if they have some sort of voltage difference that can damage something.