Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Automatic "Today's Posts" Updating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is just a suggestion that under the section of "View Todays Posts" or "View New Posts" instead of having to refresh the page to see if there was a new post would appear automatically. Something similar to Facebook or other social networks.

Thanks

Fonzy
(08-26-2013, 11:18 PM)Fonzy3 Wrote: [ -> ]This is just a suggestion that under the section of "View Todays Posts" or "View New Posts" instead of having to refresh the page to see if there was a new post would appear automatically. Something similar to Facebook or other social networks.

Thanks

Fonzy

Hmm, we use the myBB forum software. Unless there's a plugin out there for it not sure can do. I also don't know how much it would eat up the server constantly refreshing peoples' pages. I'll check into it though, you're welcome to as well Smile
i also have one suggestion, would it be possible to have "view Shannon's new posts"?
I find a sort of middle-ground plugin but not sure how well it works. I'm going to test it out on a separate forum installation and see if it's viable.

If you want a "Shannon's new posts" just subscribe to his journal(s) Wink
(08-28-2013, 04:05 AM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]i also have one suggestion, would it be possible to have "view Shannon's new posts"?

I'd really like to get him going on an integrated facebook/twitter/forum/blog-news system. But right now waiting for him to get back from his trip. When I get the chance I'll discuss with him so you guys can have an easier time keeping up with his developments.
I tested out the closest thing I could find to automatic updating, which was really just a banner that said "check for new posts" you could click and would update the thread. Not worth it and an eyesore. If anything changes I'll let you know. The forum software is going to jump ahead a couple minor versions so there will be some new features coming.
(08-28-2013, 09:30 AM)Andrew Wrote: [ -> ]If you want a "Shannon's new posts" just subscribe to his journal(s) Wink
Thank you for the suggestion Andrew.

I already know about his journal, what I was talking about is the posts he makes in threads other than his journal. Too many threads get updated daily and I have to search every thread for his post.
Anyways, I just realised that even if you do what I requested, it would be difficult to understand what he wrote because I also have to read the post to which he replied.

So I take my request back. Smile
(08-28-2013, 05:28 PM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2013, 09:30 AM)Andrew Wrote: [ -> ]If you want a "Shannon's new posts" just subscribe to his journal(s) Wink
Thank you for the suggestion Andrew.

I already know about his journal, what I was talking about is the posts he makes in threads other than his journal. Too many threads get updated daily and I have to search every thread for his post.
Anyways, I just realised that even if you do what I requested, it would be difficult to understand what he wrote because I also have to read the post to which he replied.

So I take my request back. Smile

You don't have to search every thread, what you could do is you click on Shannon's username, then you'll go into his profile page, then you click on "find all post", you will be taken to a search page where all his posts will be displayed, starting from the most recent one.
Thanks Tiesto!!!
Andrew, I appreciate you looking into to the idea and trying to produce a system that will make seeing new posts more efficiently. i'm looking forward to see your updates and the new changes to the look of the forum. I like how you implemented the like button and now we can visibly see what posts are interesting to some. I think that integrating some of the parts of other social networks would be good.

In regards to seeing specific posts from users I think maybe instead of having the reputation system we could change that to a suscribe section. Therefore if a person, let's say Shannon just posted in a new thread the suscriber could be notified of this event.

These ideas could be arguable and some people dont like the change from the usual looking at threads but how i see it getting the latest information on this site as efficiently as possible is a goal to aim for.

Thanks

Fonzy