Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Summed Stereo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've read that some of the products have different messages in the left channel versus the right making it important to listen in stereo to get the best benefit. Ideally, this would be headphones but stereo speakers are said to be the next best step with mono speakers being last.

Is there likely to be much difference in performance between two speakers in the room that aren't ideally positioned for stereo listening (i.e. when you roll over on your side at night covering one ear) and a single speaker that has the stereo signal summed so that both channels come out of the speaker?
Two separate speakers producing separate audio outputs from different physical locations will always produce a better result than a single speaker projecting two different channels that are summed, as you call it, because there is still the valid spatial audio. Summing does not give spatial audio, so you are in effect removing the spatial audio from the playback which means it won't work as well.

Summed is, however, a better solution than pure mono with only one channel being played back.
OK. Thank you for clarifying. I'm sure you get tired of all the nuanced questions about playback.
It's tiring to answer so many questions in general, but it's my job. Especially if nobody else on staff knows the answer. Smile