Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Creating a Great Novel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Harris76

What is your guys thoughts on making a 6 stage set on creating a great novel?

Stages would include the current writing tracks plus more.

1. Writer inspiration & motivation, crush block

2. Plot & structure

3. Description & setting

4. Character & viewpoint

5. Great Dialogue

6. Emotion,tension, & conflict

I'll have more ideas for each stage later.

Jamaal
Outside of motivation and willingness to face internal resistance
I don't see how it would be possible for a sub to help with creating plot and structure,
character viewpoint+great dialogue etc..that can all be highly detailed knowledge based information and mechanics that takes practice and conscious learning/understanding. A sub can help with discipline, motivation, inspiration, and even success with the book itself but subconciously learning those other things..to me that seems like a sub to learn how to fly a plane without ever taking lessons. I could be wrong..just chiming in.
I think its a greeeat Idea Harris76. I'd look into it. I have been told BY 3 different very very good psychic's that I need to be writting and should be writting a non fiction book or books,havent done it yet,butta novel for those that dabble or would just like to 'JUST DO IT' I think its a great option to have. again great idea. IM ALL FOR IT!;-) NCBear.
(04-01-2012, 11:27 PM)RainbowAbyss Wrote: [ -> ]Outside of motivation and willingness to face internal resistance
I don't see how it would be possible for a sub to help with creating plot and structure,
character viewpoint+great dialogue etc..that can all be highly detailed knowledge based information and mechanics that takes practice and conscious learning/understanding. A sub can help with discipline, motivation, inspiration, and even success with the book itself but subconciously learning those other things..to me that seems like a sub to learn how to fly a plane without ever taking lessons. I could be wrong..just chiming in.

**If it isn't obvious already, I'm letting Shannon and his team know that an all encompassing writing sub would be GREATLY appreciated. I am already setting aside the funds because that's an incredibly valuable sub for some of us.

I've done other subliminal work related to enriching my writing skills and subs can help you to seek out your voice more through your writing. It can help to make your written voice clearer and your ideas stronger or cleverer than you thought you could manage (you're just bringing out the best of yourself, really). Doing that through a sub is definitely doable, especially to hit the points you mention.

The problem was that the other subliminals i did took soooo long to work for minimal results. I'm very self reflective with myself and my work, and i know when I'm improving in ways that pure persistence and dedication can't touch .

Regarding the points of writing related to learned craft and things only experience can realistically bring us, I have a feeling that subliminals targeting plot, structure, characters, dialogue etc would push to have the user learn as much as they can about it then create their own voice through writing and practicing.

The sub could also remove the limiting ideas that we can't easily do those things in our writing, which we undoubtedly have if you've run into writing hurdles like any other writer has.

I see a writing 5G sub (or whatever generation, it doesn't matter - hopefully 5G though lol) as something like a learn language sub. The sub doesn't make do the action of speaking the language but it can implant the beliefs that you can do it easily, and gracefully, which is what great writing entails.

If you can write such that your audience forgets that they're reading, you're in the promise land lol That's what exceptional writing across all genres does; you forget that you're actually just sitting there reading a book.

Just so my post isn't pages and pages long, YES, I do seriously believe a sub can bring out the best writer in you. Steven King is one of the best examples of natural talent. By mentioning him I mean to say that we all have similar talent, it's just that he can easily express his talent whereas some of us have to gradually reveal it over time. That is something I really do think a sub can help us open up within ourselves.

Also, i enjoy having written, not necessarily writing itself. Not all the time, anyway. So if you could could inject actually enjoying the act of writing into the sub as well Team of Shannon, that would also be enormously appreciated.