Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Bluetooth's glass ceiling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So it's come to my attention that Bluetooth headphones can really mangle up a good quality audio file. How do you know if it's happening to you? You need to check the codec your phone is using. This determines the bit rate of the audio that is transferred over the Bluetooth connection.

On an Android, this means navigating to Settings > About Phone > Software Information. Then tap on Build Number seven times in a row. You'll be prompted to enter your password and this activates Developer Options.

Go to Developer Options, and from there you can navigate to Bluetooth Audio Codec. For almost all devices, the default the low-quality codec, SBC. AAC is slightly better and is apparently the default for iPhones. I've read that AAC is the best that Apple will offer.

Both these defaults are low quality audio; they use less power and have greater range. Both are going to mangle your subs.

So you'll want to upgrade. The trick is finding a device that supports a high-res codec that's also compatible with your headphones.

As usual, your best audio option is probably Sony. As to their Bluetooth codec, LDAC, WhatHifi says, "LDAC allows you to stream high-resolution audio up to 32-bit/96kHz over Bluetooth at up to 990kbps." 

The only one better is aptX lossless, which apparently reaches 1,200kbps (a CD plays at 1,400kbps). "While it does use compression, aptX lossless produces results akin to FLAC." 

The problem is that the big players (Apple, Samsung, Google) don't think this is worth the investment. So you'll only find it in niche products (e.g. Sony, Sharp, ASUS, Nubia, etc.). 

Lastly, there is Samsung's Seamless codec. I found a Verge review where Samsung claim 2,300kbps quality. The fact that the figure is so much higher than the competitors had the reviewer skeptical and I think that's fair.

I am comparing kbps, but once you get into your phone's Developer Options there is more to it: audio sample rate, audio bits per sample. I couldn't tell you if that matters or not.

@Shannon will have the last word, but what I took from it is either use wired headphones or, if you're committed to Bluetooth, do your research and buy the latest gear.
Bitrate alone doesn't determine the quality of the audio of course. But if you can use a lossless bluetooth codec it is possible (theoretically) to use a subliminal over bluetooth without issue. I still cannot guarantee it.

Also, this still doesn't allow the use of ultrasonic or hybrid through headphones, and headphones and earbuds don't solve the volume issue. So phone speakers are still the way to go if it is at all possible.