Subliminal Talk

Full Version: New audio format request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm wondering how much more effective the lossless FLAC format is over the high-quality mp3 format.  I'm mostly curious because users of Apple products - iPhones, iPods - cannot play the FLAC format.  If the lossless format is more effective, I would request that subliminals also be made available in the lossless m4a (ALAC) format which is the Apple product usable equivalent of FLAC.  I could of course just convert the files myself but I'm a little paranoid that there would be some subliminal technology loss during the conversion.

Thanks for listening. Smile
(07-12-2021, 12:04 AM)kserenyi Wrote: [ -> ]I'm mostly curious because users of Apple products - iPhones, iPods - cannot play the FLAC format.

QuickTime Player plays FLAC just fine, as do most music apps I’ve seen on my iPhone. I personally use Readdle Documents to play FLAC, but there are a zillion options out there. If you don’t want to use third-party software, throw the files onto iCloud Drive and you can play them from there.

FLAC is very well supported in the Apple ecosystem.
(07-12-2021, 12:04 AM)kserenyi Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering how much more effective the lossless FLAC format is over the high-quality mp3 format.  I'm mostly curious because users of Apple products - iPhones, iPods - cannot play the FLAC format.  If the lossless format is more effective, I would request that subliminals also be made available in the lossless m4a (ALAC) format which is the Apple product usable equivalent of FLAC.  I could of course just convert the files myself but I'm a little paranoid that there would be some subliminal technology loss during the conversion.

Thanks for listening. Smile

Apple is not the world.  They would love to be, and that's why they're trying to use customer lock-in through things like ALAC instead of the open FLAC format.  I support FLAC because it is open and it is a universal standard.  I do not pander to companies, no matter how big or wealthy, who are interested in forcing you to use their way of doing things when there is a perfectly good, equivalent if not superior, option.

Apple, to the best of my knowledge, does not natively support FLAC but then I am not an apple user.  I do know, however, that there are a variety of ways to use FLAC in the Apple ecosystem.  

I have said it before a thousand times, and I will say it again.

NEVER convert or transcode ANY subliminal I create.  If you do, no matter how "lossless" it is, you don't know what else it may be doing, and you will immediately void your options for a refund, and nobody can be sure of what you're getting anymore.

FLAC is approximately 4 to 7% more effective than the MP3 format I create.

Remember also that every time I create another version of the same thing, it takes more time, more quality control checks, more upload space, more back-end storage space, more bandwidth and more cost to pay for storage.  FLAC being equal to or better than ALAC, there is no reason to incur those additional costs, especially since all you have to do is find software that isn't intentionally ignoring the world standard for lossless audio compression.
Use foobar2000 app, if it is available on ios
(07-16-2021, 11:31 AM)tolgaocal80 Wrote: [ -> ]Use foobar2000 app, if it is available on ios

^ this. A million time this. 

It is available and it is PERFECT. I started using it when you told me, and never looked back.