Subliminal Talk

Full Version: How To Overcome Desire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I'm currently using UMS. In the past I've used subs like E2, APE, AM6, BASE, LTU5 also. I've noticed that over that past 2 years on these subs I've gotten better at controlling my impulse spending; but the issue is I have this part of me that constantly fights me to get the things I want, and it feels like it makes me subconsciously uncomfortable until I finally give in and just purchase my desire. Granted, 99% of these desires are for self-improvement, but it's still a frustrating battle to fight. I've already tried gratitude, meditation and visualization, as well as rationalizing why I need to wait to buy some of these things. I don't recall a time that I made a purchase that was supposed to go towards bills, or financially put me in the hole. I typically can fight off my desires for a week, maybe a month tops but I eventually cave most of the time. I'm simply wondering if anyone knows of any other techniques to help control one's desires.
Perhaps read about financial independence, personal  finance, budgeting blogs or subrredit etc.

I still splurge from time to time for unnecessary things but I've got to a point where I'm ok with it.
(09-14-2019, 04:15 AM)enoch Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps read about financial independence, personal  finance, budgeting blogs or subrredit etc.

I still splurge from time to time for unnecessary things but I've got to a point where I'm ok with it.

Worth a shot, thank you.
Ask yourself the following: why do I desire such and such? What purpose does it serve for me, what need does it fill? Is there, perhaps, something I feel I lack that I want to, metaphorically, "complete" within myself using this particular object?
(09-18-2019, 04:13 AM)Have at ye Wrote: [ -> ]Ask yourself the following: why do I desire such and such? What purpose does it serve for me, what need does it fill? Is there, perhaps, something I feel I lack that I want to, metaphorically, "complete" within myself using this particular object?

I actually do this very often, at times it helps to either re-prioritize a desire, and sometimes it helps me rid myself of a particular desire altogether. I think that honestly I keep getting this feeling that I'm behind in terms of where i should already be in life, and that impatience may be the reason i feel this way since most of what I desire help improve an area of my life.