Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Hypochondria
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@Shannon

I know someone who suffers terrible hypochondria. Would it be possible to adapt Anxiety Relief and Stress Relief to target this kind of problem? They are hypersensitive to any symptom, which sets up a terrible feedback loop, leading to awful panic attacks.

Thanks
Hypochondriac is based in one of three things.

1. Fear.
2. Wanting attention.
3. Both 1 and 2.

I can create something that should help, but in the mean time your best bet is going to be E3 or LTU5. It might be a while.
(06-30-2019, 07:17 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]Hypochondriac is based in one of three things.  

1. Fear.
2. Wanting attention.
3. Both 1 and 2.

I can create something that should help, but in the mean time your best bet is going to be E3 or LTU5.  It might be a while.

I suffer from hypochondria. I can say that it is based in fear. It seems like I hade an episode every few weeks where I am worried about something health related. As a result I am very conscious about what I eat and drink.
(06-30-2019, 07:17 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]Hypochondriac is based in one of three things.

1. Fear.
2. Wanting attention.
3. Both 1 and 2.

I can create something that should help, but in the mean time your best bet is going to be E3 or LTU5. It might be a while.

Well the person concerned goes to great lengths to cover up their suffering to as many people as possible so it's not attention seeking. I myself suffered from this condition till my early twenties and was painfully shy and was definitely not after attention either. I think there is also a negativity factor operating as well fear, always looking on the dark side of things and expecting the worst. I think the biggest factor for me to break the cycle was developing a complete belief and trust in my body to look after itself. I've been free of the condition for over 35 years because of that.
For most people, it is based entirely in fear. But I have also seen both of the other possibilities I mentioned.
(06-30-2019, 10:46 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]For most people, it is based entirely in fear. But I have also seen both of the other possibilities I mentioned.

I must be a notable exception then. I also think that in addition to negativity there may have been an obsessive-compulsive element to it, although getting rid of the negativity cured it for me, even though I still had some fear and OCD for many years after the hypochondria disappeared.
(07-01-2019, 12:42 AM)terry44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2019, 10:46 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]For most people, it is based entirely in fear.  But I have also seen both of the other possibilities I mentioned.

I must be a notable exception then. I also think that in addition to negativity there may have been an obsessive-compulsive element to it, although getting rid of the negativity cured it for me, even though I still had some fear and OCD for many years after the hypochondria disappeared.

The negativity usually arises as a result of fear.  The OCD is a result of fear.  Hypochondria, OCD and negativity are all just ways in which fear gets expressed.  Different branches of the same tree.
(07-01-2019, 09:15 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2019, 12:42 AM)terry44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2019, 10:46 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]For most people, it is based entirely in fear.  But I have also seen both of the other possibilities I mentioned.

The negativity usually arises as a result of fear.  The OCD is a result of fear.  Hypochondria, OCD and negativity are all just ways in which fear gets expressed.  Different branches of the same tree.

But is interesting that I got rid of the hypochodria by getting rid of a specific negativity, but still had the similar general levels of anxiety and OCD afterwards. Maybe negativity can engender fear or anxiety, just as fear or anxiety can lead to negativity.
The jury seems to be out on the cause of OCD as far as mainstream 'experts' are concerned:
https://www.ocduk.org/ocd/what-causes-ocd/