Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Pro wrasslin'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So... 

I'm watching an NXT match that Dave Meltzer gave a 5.5 star rating to, and my dad ruins it by coming in and asking "You're not really watching wrestling are you?" 

I go "Yeah" and go right back to watching my wrasslin'.

As I leave the kitchen to go back to my room he stops me and goes "Just one thing... you know it's fake, right?"

I sarcastically go "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO! You don't say?!"

I pointed out that just because the fighting's fake and unrealistic shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying a good match, because last time I checked, kung fu movies never had this problem. You watch a kung fu movie where everybody's doing fancy looking moves that would probably get your ass kicked if you tried them in a real fight, and we suspend disbelief and pretend the the fake fighting we're watching isn't unrealistic so we can enjoy a good fight scene, but for some reason the idea of a "good match" in pro wrestling is incomprehensible to people who don't watch it. Same goes for action movies. The Rock's fighting in The Fast and the Furious is no more "real" than his fighting in the WWE, but that doesn't stop people from enjoying the fighting in the Fast and the Furious. 

Dad says "Yeah, but the difference is, people who watch kung fu movies KNOW it's not real" as if pro wrestling fans can't make the same distinction. 

And we get into an argument about whether or not anybody out there actually believes it's real anymore. 

I tell him, kayfabe (the maintained illusion of it being real) has been dead since the eighties, or at the very latest, the nineties. He points out that some chick he once knew in the seventies thought it was real, doing nothing to disprove my point. 

Fact is, I challenge anybody who looks down on pro wrestling to go to Wrestlemania and out of the thousands of people there, find ONE who believes it's real. You know, other than a 5 year old. 

If it's not your thing, that's fine, but the shit people who don't watch it say sometimes irks me with their ignorance. You don't have to like it, but at least be open minded about it. 

Shit like this is why I'm glad the "Curtain Call" happened in the early 90's and why a part of me is glad the Montreal Screwjob happened in the mid 90's, because now there aren't anymore idiots going around SWEARING it's real, but regular jerkoffs still have this image of wrestling fans as dumb white trash who don't know it's fake, which is just rubbish. Maybe it shouldn't get to me like it's doing right now, but I find it quite irksome. 

Anyway, I've decided to start this thread to talk about pro wrestling here on the forums.

I was wondering if anyone else here is a pro wrestling fan, and what you think about people who look down on it like that? Does anybody have something contrary to say to what I've said above?
I was a fan, watched from the mid-80's as a kid (Hulkamania/Macho Man/Warrior/Brutus the Barber Beefcake/Million Dollar Man/Rick The Model Martel etc.), and stopped after the attitude era. All during the Monday Night Wars too.

Not fun now, boring, contrived, wannabe echoes of that old era long gone, too PC in multiple ways.

Randomly, recently, I found myself watching a couple YouTube clips here and there for a couple of the females, because I find them attractive. But a far cry from the days when my buddies and I would wait for RAW to come on, huddle up, or even go halfs on a PPV and have an event out of it at one of our houses.
(05-30-2019, 12:52 PM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]I was a fan, watched from the mid-80's as a kid (Hulkamania/Macho Man/Warrior/Brutus the Barber Beefcake/Million Dollar Man/Rick The Model Martel etc.), and stopped after the attitude era. All during the Monday Night Wars too.

Not fun now, boring, contrived, wannabe echoes of that old era long gone, too PC in multiple ways.

Randomly, recently, I found myself watching a couple YouTube clips here and there for a couple of the females, because I find them attractive. But a far cry from the days when my buddies and I would wait for RAW to come on, huddle up, or even go halfs on a PPV and have an event out of it at one of our houses.

Yeah, WWE has gotten stale AF. Luckily, AEW seems to have answered the call for wrestling that doesn't suck and now we've got a good alternative to the WWE.
I was watching WWE (or previously WWF) wrestling in the nineties. Almost from begin until around '98, then I somehow lost the interest. Still many names in my mind, like The Undertaker, Bret "Hitman" Hart, Yokozuna, Bushwhakers, Lex Luther, 1-2-3-Kid, Diesel and many, many more. Was a nice time.
(06-04-2019, 11:11 AM)Shawn Wrote: [ -> ]I was watching WWE (or previously WWF) wrestling in the nineties. Almost from begin until around '98, then I somehow lost the interest. Still many names in my mind, like The Undertaker, Bret "Hitman" Hart, Yokozuna, Bushwhakers, Lex Luther, 1-2-3-Kid, Diesel and many, many more. Was a nice time.

Obviously that list includes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ErmBDTOJo

Lmao! Was always a massive favourite of mine. I always used to do the crouching down flex like in his entrance, hahahaha. My buddy was a HHH fan and he'd do the HHH thing behind me for when they were in DX. LOL, old school!
(06-05-2019, 05:26 PM)CatMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2019, 11:11 AM)Shawn Wrote: [ -> ]I was watching WWE (or previously WWF) wrestling in the nineties. Almost from begin until around '98, then I somehow lost the interest. Still many names in my mind, like The Undertaker, Bret "Hitman" Hart, Yokozuna, Bushwhakers, Lex Luther, 1-2-3-Kid, Diesel and many, many more. Was a nice time.

Obviously that list includes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ErmBDTOJo

Lmao! Was always a massive favourite of mine. I always used to do the crouching down flex like in his entrance, hahahaha. My buddy was a HHH fan and he'd do the HHH thing behind me for when they were in DX. LOL, old school!

Hahaha, yes, indeed. And I did the same with his entrance move as well as with the "sweet chin music" Hehe