Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Goal-phrasing in USLM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I thought that I would summarise what has been written on the forum about how goals should be phrased/combined/formulated on the forum. I have found some forum-posts about goal-phrasing that I have posted here, if you find anymore you are welcome to post them!

From the product description page

Quote:1. Consciously pick what you want to focus on being successful with. A maximum of three goals, and the fewer the better.
2. Write it/them down.
3. Keep that/those goal(s) in mind when you make decisions during your day.

Bonus tip: Make a vision board and put it where you will see it at least once a day.

Forum posts

(03-29-2019, 07:30 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2019, 03:40 PM)Rossignol17 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Shannon,

You wrote :

"When wording your goals, you aren't making affirmations.  The best way to state a goal is to start with the words, "My goal is to...", or "It is now my goal to...".  Don't use past or future tense."

Can you tell me why it is better to state your goals with the wording of "My goal is....." rather than just using an affirmation type sentence constructed in the present tense ?  Does it have to do with the scripting of USLM ?  Do you feel it is more effective that way ?

I am now on my second run of USLM3 (waiting to buy the upgrade) after having awesome success with my first run.  I haven't experienced that much improvement or luck since starting my second run, so I am looking to rewrite my goal.

Thank you for your advice.

In any communication, what you say and how is going to determine what is understood by those communicated to, and how it is responded to.  In communicating to your subconscious, you will communicate something different if you use an affirmation style statement vs an explicit declaration of intent.

Affirmations commonly fail to work because of the critical faculty, which is a part of the conscious mind.  Stating something as true, which isn't yet true, can be in some cases attacked as untrue and rejected before it gets to the subconscious.  Further, depending on the exact wording, it may be misunderstood by the subconscious.

Stating that it is your goal to accomplish X, however, cannot be so attacked, confused or derailed, because it is true regardless of whether the goal has come to pass or not.  Furthermore, it is explicitly stated that it is the goal.

(03-28-2019, 07:28 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2019, 05:51 AM)blth Wrote: [ -> ]on uslm4 which is in LTU can you include more than three goals? I read how you suggested to write the goals

I always write something like ''i will drop down to 6% body within 3 months until 20th May 2019''. Do you think it is better to write ''I am enjoying working out and i am dropping down to 6% body fat within 3 months until 20th May 2019''?

The fewer the goals, the better.  That will never change.  If you have 3 goals, you are dividing your focus by 3, unless one or more goals are inter-supportive.  One goal at a time is best.  No matter how impatient you may be.  Even three goals at once is not the best option.  So no, you're never going to see 4+ goals be reasonably possible at once with USLM.

When wording your goals, you aren't making affirmations.  The best way to state a goal is to start with the words, "My goal is to...", or "It is now my goal to...".  Don't use past or future tense.  So in the case of your first example, that would become:

''my goal is to drop down to 6% body [fat] by 20th May 2019.'' (Also note that 6% body fat is, as far as I know, dangerously low; you would be on the low side of reasonable and safe at 7% even for a professional athlete in body building who has professional coaching and nutritional supervision.  Specifying within how many months is not likely to be understood.)

The second would become:

''My goals are to enjoying working out and drop down to 6% body fat by 20th May 2019."  (Again, 6% is most likely unsafe.)

(03-27-2019, 04:30 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-26-2019, 06:14 PM)Greenhaze Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry if this is a stupid question but for USLM goals you said a couple pages back to be specific in wording them now to take one of the examples that was posted " My goal is to have the best possible girlfriend for me" now using that example to be more specific would you go and put in as many details about her as possible? or would your subconcious already include all the details about her in the "best possible" wording?

If your goal is to have a girlfriend who is the best choice, then why do you need to be more specific than to say that you want a girlfriend who is the best choice of girlfriends for you?

Quote:And would it be the same with a business idea? or with a business idea would you include every single detail down to the day? the second is what i did after reading that a couple pages back and it seems to be working or can i be even more specific to get that goal to be more focused and powerful or will to many things clutter up the goal?

The whole reason I started using terms like "perfect" and "best possible" is because I found that when I tried to use details explicitly beyond that, two things happened:

1. The wording of the statement got ridiculously long and complex, and
2. I always left out something important without realizing it until I got what I asked for, and realized what was wrong with it.

Being too specific is just as bad as not being specific enough, but asking for whatever is "perfect" for you or the best choice is going to be necessarily specific enough without being too specific.  You can be specific outside of or instead of using that phrasing, "I want a girlfriend with long, wavy, natural copper red hair on her head, copper red hair on her eyebrows, freckles on her face and chest, baby blue eyes, a C cup chest, who has the body type that is most physically attractive to me, and who makes me happy." But when you do, it leaves you open to things you didn't think of that you wanted not being present, or things you assumed would be, that were not, in the end.

(12-10-2018, 06:43 PM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2018, 07:10 AM)ianaav Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I really want to do it properly for maximum results. In the description its recommended to write your goals and do a vision board. Would you say the goals have to be specific? Like My business is generating 100k per year? Is it ok to do more than 5 loops or stick to this number?

We have already answered this a number of times.

You'll want to pick a maximum of three goals to focus on.  It's best of all three are leading to one another, for example a short term goal that leads to a medium term goal, which leads to a long term goal.

You don't want to get too specific because that limits how it can come about.  Saying you want your business generating $100k per year, you not only have to specify if that is net or gross, but you want to consider where you are right now and set that goal as being an appropriate time frame.  That might be a short term goal if you're already at $50k+, or a medium term goal otherwise.

Saying, "My goal is for my business to go from $23,000 a year to $100,000 a year within a short amount of time" isn't really so good.  You can be aggressive, but you also have to get out the shovel, because USLM won't move the mountain while you sleep and lay on the beach.

You can read through the journal discussion thread concerning my journal and find more, but it's a ways back at this point.

(03-20-2019, 02:37 PM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2019, 01:14 PM)Paul1131 Wrote: [ -> ]About the goal setting on LTU and USLM.  I get that you have to state the goal like you already have it, so how do you deal with a goal that you need or want to achieve by a certian date?  I.E. my goal is to have a job in X field of work by September first of 2019.

Goal setting and affirmation phrasing are not the same thing.  As if you already have it is for affirmations, which is what I thought we were discussing.  To phrase a goal for USLM or LTU, use the phrase, "My goal is to ___" and then put your goal, as clearly and specifically as possible, in present tense.

Ex. "My goal is to have the best possible job in X field by Date Y."

(03-20-2019, 02:28 PM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2019, 09:47 AM)DMSIuser78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2019, 07:16 AM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-19-2019, 03:58 PM)LiquidMind Wrote: [ -> ]Shannon question about goal setting with LTU

Is it better to state you have the goal already  achieved  or to state you will obtain the goal in future

e.g  
"I am super sexy"  vs  "I will be super sexy"
?
?

Ben is exactly right on this.

The subconscious does not perceive or experience "time" like the conscious mind does.  For the subconscious, the deeper you go the less valid the concept of time is as a whole, and the less linear it becomes, until you achieve a state at which time ceases to exist altogether for that level of awareness and deeper, and all is now.  To phrase things in future tense then does two things.

1. It tells the subconscious levels still capable of perceiving "the future" that "we should do this when tomorrow shows up" - i.e., never.
2. It makes no sense to the parts that perceive everything as "now", and is generally ignored.

Therefore always use present tense and phrasing that presumes it is already true.

So instead of "I want to have a girlfriend", I should write "I have a girlfriend" as my goal? Or is there a better way of phrasing that goal?

As an affirmation, you would want a different wording than as a goal for USLM.  For a goal, you would do best with this:

"My goal is to have the best possible girlfriend for me."

(03-20-2019, 02:27 PM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2019, 09:25 AM)Hatman Wrote: [ -> ]Shannon, would this be a good way to phrase a goal? I did it and it seems to be working pretty well so far.

"My goal is to be put on the shortest, easiest, and smoothest possible path to goal x"

or

"I trust that I am on the shortest, easiest, and smoothest possible path to goal x"

The former is better for use as a goal statement for USLM3+.  You are explicitly stating that what follows is your goal.  However, it is not in present tense; you want it to read:

"My goal is to be on the shortest, easiest and smoothest possible path to X."

Also keep in mind that "path" may be misinterpretable, depending on what X is.

Shannon post #4793 in Shannon Journal discussion #3
https://subliminal-talk.com/showthread.p...#pid207950

Quote:
Fluffy Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 05:04 PM)Shannon Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 04:25 PM)THolt Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 04:02 PM)Shannon Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 03:56 PM)THolt Wrote:
The sensation I feel is being frustrated with life. At the moment I feel calm and peaceful. I have been studying Stoic philosophy so I am learning to keep a level head regardless of what is going on.

Shannon will this new program result in a greater occurrence of positive coincidences?

If that's what you want to call them - it should, yes.
I will make a list of goals that I want to achieve and focus on them. With the FRM, the results should come faster than before

Until we know how this version works,a you should keep your list of goals to 1, 2 or 3 items long.

How detailed should these goals be when using US/LM?

Generally speaking, we don't know yet. But it should be true that you don't need to get too specific. Just have the desired end goal clearly in mind, and let your subconscious achieve it for you. Make it clear enough that when you get it, it won't leave you wishing for something else.

Quote:
For example would a goal of having a beautiful girlfriend inside and out be enough or does one need to get much more specific?

You don't have to be terribly specific, but you do have to be accurate.

Quote:
Also does these goals need action steps or is these goals more of a 'I want to manifest this' and then letting US/LM bring it about?

Audaces fortuna iuvat. (Fortune favors the bold.)

When you are wanting to achieve something, you can do it two ways. You can be active, or passive. Either way will work for this program, but one will usually be much faster. Guess which one.

Shannon post #5287 in Shannon Journal discussion #3
https://subliminal-talk.com/showthread.p...#pid209450

Quote:THolt Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 05:16 PM)Shannon Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 12:44 PM)kingpill Wrote:
When writing down goals for US/LM, how long term should the goals be?

Whatever goals you write down should be the goals you will have in mind regularly. So if you are going for a goal of becoming a billionaire within X number of years, it will be fine as long as it is in your mind constantly.

If it's not, then you'll want to focus on those goals that are. USLM focuses on what you consciously want, but it is best when you are constantly (or at least frequently) thinking about those goals. So short and medium term goals are often good choices.

Quote:
Also, should we start with smaller goals and work our way to bigger ones or can we start with the biggest ones?

Thanks

I have a major over-arching set of goals, and then I have medium term sub-goals, and then I break those down into short term goals. Sometimes, I break my short term goals down into even smaller steps.

This works, as long as you can keep everything in mind. Again, it focuses on your conscious goals and desires. So whatever it is you are most able to keep in mind on a regular basis.

@Shannon
How much time per day should we spend focusing on our goals? I know you said constantly but I am wondering specifically how often we should do it every day?

When I say "constantly", I don't mean you have that and everything else in your life might get a timeslice every few minutes or so. I mean, when you make a decision, you consider how it will impact your goals. You make your goals your top priority, unless you place your kids and or SO above those goals. But whenever I do something, I consider, "How will this impact my goals?"

It is in your mind frequently enough to be a major part of your decision making process, I suppose is the answer to your question, but it need not be all you ever think about.

Then again, depending on the goal and your level of execution, the reverse can also work. But for major, complex goals (which is what I have) you probably want to have that goal be in mind regularly.

Shannon post #5322 in Shannon Journal discussion #3
https://subliminal-talk.com/showthread.p...#pid209577

Quote:kingpill Wrote:
@Shannon Can goals be written in present terms like you already have them or as actual goals? Or maybe any/both?

Thanks

You guys are over thinking this.

You want to pick goals. Be as specific as necessary for you to be fully happy with them. For example:

"My first goal is to have sex with my hot single female neighbor at least 256 times this year."

This is just an example, not my actual goal.
Thanks, man!

It's been asked and discussed numerous time. And the answers are scattered all over the forum.

This thread is useful not only for people who do USLM, but also LTU5 (since it has USLM module, too).  Thumbsup
(03-27-2019, 11:01 PM)Nara Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, man!

It's been asked and discussed numerous time. And the answers are scattered all over the forum.

This thread is useful not only for people who do USLM, but also LTU5 (since it has USLM module, too).  Thumbsup

No worries!

I have tried using the search function and google, but the local search-function isn't really the best. If you know where they are it would be awesome if you posted them here!