Subliminal Talk
Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Other-Topics)
+--- Forum: The Chatter Box (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-The-Chatter-Box)
+--- Thread: Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... (/Thread-Science-Constantly-Messing-With-Nature-or-Improving-it)

Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - SargeMaximus - 11-01-2016

Just read this (short) article: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/brazilian-scientsts-to-release-millions-of-factory-mosquitoes/73933/

Basically scientists have developed a mosquito that is genetically flawed (like Jurassic Park Dinos) so that it's offspring will die very quickly. The idea (from what I gather) is that if we kill off mosquitos, we'll eradicate many of the most deadly diseases in the world like malaria or yellow fever.

Of course, they make no mention of how they expect this will affect animals that eat mosquitos.

Anyhow, what do you guys think? Personally, I think it's awesome but I also think they should tread carefully. I'm thinking of Humpty Dumpty basically. It's easy to destroy things, not so easy to repair them.

RE: Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - Shawn - 11-03-2016

When we manipulate nature we never know at the given time how this will affect the whole system in long term. This starts with GM maize which kills its pests and ends with manipulating insects. At least for now. Reminds me on butterfly effect. We must be really careful with this stuff.

RE: Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - SargeMaximus - 11-03-2016

(11-03-2016, 01:20 PM)Mr. Anderson Wrote: When we manipulate nature we never know at the given time how this will affect the whole system in long term. This starts with GM maize which kills its pests and ends with manipulating insects. At least for now. Reminds me on butterfly effect. We must be really careful with this stuff.

I agree.

On the one hand it's exciting because who knows what we'll be able to do with science now, but on the other hand it's definitely a lot like playing with fire.

RE: Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - 4Kingdoms - 11-03-2016

Another way that nature is manipulated...
Sharks (a predator) have been increasingly attacking people because of the demand for Tuna (a predator). Sharks usually dine on tuna. However, due to the popularity of sushi; tuna's population is decreasing. Less tuna for sharks to dine on, sharks go closer to shore to find food; people.

(Oops, this has nothing to do with science manipulating tuna)

RE: Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - SargeMaximus - 11-03-2016

(11-03-2016, 01:52 PM)4Kingdoms Wrote: Another way that nature is manipulated...
Sharks (a predator) have been increasingly attacking people because of the demand for Tuna (a predator). Sharks usually dine on tuna. However, due to the popularity of sushi; tuna's population is decreasing. Less tuna for sharks to dine on, sharks go closer to shore to find food; people.

I imagine those people smell like tuna too lol.

That's interesting though, and it makes sense. In fact, it's so simple that you'd think it would be relatively easy to predict an outcome of an action taken to "mess" with nature.

Now, I'm not sure about these mosquitoes but I imagine the animals normally feeding on them will die off or go looking for other food, while insects on the ground will be feasting on the "dropping-dead" mosquitoes and will experience a population increase as a result.

RE: Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - 4Kingdoms - 11-03-2016

Again, nothing to do with science manipulating nature.
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=141
Why are there no snakes in Hawaii?
As you know the Hawaiian Islands are volcanic in origin. They were completely built up from the ocean floor by erupting volcanoes over the past 44 million years and even today Hawaii, the youngest island, is still "under construction". Each island is made up of at least one primary volcano, although many islands are composites of more than one.

Hawaii is the most isolated island group in the world. The nearest continent, North America, is over 2500 miles (4000 km) away. All of Hawaii's many plants and animals are evolved from colonizers (seeds, plants, animals etc) that made it here either by air or by sea. But the extreme isolation made it difficult for plants and animals to colonize the islands. The odds of surviving the journey by air or sea is small; making it here and establishing a reproducing population is miraculous. On average, an invertebrate successfully colonized Hawaii once in every 70,000 years, a plant once in every 100,000 years, and a bird once in every million years. This is why a very distinct flora and fauna evolved in Hawaii over millions of years.

Many of the native plants and animals evolved with few diseases and no natural predators and therefore needed few natural defenses. Before humans arrived in Hawaii there were no large animals to eat plants. Mother Nature is very efficient. Defenses weren't needed and over time were lost. This paradise was harmed when Polynesian settlers found their way to the islands (about 1500 years ago) and brought with them other mammals like pigs, dogs and goats and other plants which literally took over and devastated many native ecosystems. Ever since then, people brought new species to Hawaii and every single one had an impact on the native plants and animals.

Until recently snakes had not found their way to the islands (it is illegal to bring them) but some reports indicate that some snakes have been seen, among them the brown tree snake.This is especially bad because snakes have no effective predators living on Hawaii and would quickly kill all the native birds and animals. A good example where this happened is the island Guam where snakes have virtually wiped out the native forest birds.

If you ever travel to Guam, LISTEN... you won't hear any bird sounds.

(11-03-2016, 02:10 PM)4Kingdoms Wrote: Again, nothing to do with science manipulating nature.
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=141
Why are there no snakes in Hawaii?
As you know the Hawaiian Islands are volcanic in origin. They were completely built up from the ocean floor by erupting volcanoes over the past 44 million years and even today Hawaii, the youngest island, is still "under construction". Each island is made up of at least one primary volcano, although many islands are composites of more than one.

Hawaii is the most isolated island group in the world. The nearest continent, North America, is over 2500 miles (4000 km) away. All of Hawaii's many plants and animals are evolved from colonizers (seeds, plants, animals etc) that made it here either by air or by sea. But the extreme isolation made it difficult for plants and animals to colonize the islands. The odds of surviving the journey by air or sea is small; making it here and establishing a reproducing population is miraculous. On average, an invertebrate successfully colonized Hawaii once in every 70,000 years, a plant once in every 100,000 years, and a bird once in every million years. This is why a very distinct flora and fauna evolved in Hawaii over millions of years.

Many of the native plants and animals evolved with few diseases and no natural predators and therefore needed few natural defenses. Before humans arrived in Hawaii there were no large animals to eat plants. Mother Nature is very efficient. Defenses weren't needed and over time were lost. This paradise was harmed when Polynesian settlers found their way to the islands (about 1500 years ago) and brought with them other mammals like pigs, dogs and goats and other plants which literally took over and devastated many native ecosystems. Ever since then, people brought new species to Hawaii and every single one had an impact on the native plants and animals.

Until recently snakes had not found their way to the islands (it is illegal to bring them) but some reports indicate that some snakes have been seen, among them the brown tree snake.This is especially bad because snakes have no effective predators living on Hawaii and would quickly kill all the native birds and animals. A good example where this happened is the island Guam where snakes have virtually wiped out the native forest birds.

If you ever travel to Guam, LISTEN... you won't hear any bird sounds.

I imagine it will be quite a while before I can afford to go to Guam lol, but very interesting indeed. I imagine that would be freaky too, to not hear any bird sounds.

RE: Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - Blink - 11-04-2016

Mosquitoes pollinate some plants. So that would mean less pollination. Might or might not be a whole lot. But still, some butterfly effect for sure...

RE: Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - SargeMaximus - 11-04-2016

(11-04-2016, 06:27 AM)Blink Wrote: Mosquitoes pollinate some plants. So that would mean less pollination. Might or might not be a whole lot. But still, some butterfly effect for sure...

Well that doesn't sound good. What about bees? I mean, if only bees can pollinate plants, then wouldn't plants eventually congregate where bees are present?

RE: Science Constantly Messing With Nature, or Improving it... - 4Kingdoms - 11-04-2016

http://www.globalresearch.ca/death-and-extinction-of-the-bees/5375684
Since 2006 beekeepers have been noticing their honeybee populations have been dying off at increasingly rapid rates.