Subliminal Talk
Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Website and Subliminal Feedback (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Website-and-Subliminal-Feedback)
+--- Forum: Frequently Asked Questions & Resources (FAQ) (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Resources-FAQ)
+--- Thread: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer (/Thread-Ultrasonic-volume-the-definitive-answer)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - ArcticFox - 08-11-2015

(08-11-2015, 05:39 AM)coldfact Wrote:
(08-11-2015, 01:31 AM)wahyu Wrote: Shannon use his phone to measure the decibel using apps called Frequensee.
I assumed as much - but his wording "This volume is what I usually use on my phone at night, phone either on nightstand or next to me." suggests to me that he actually uses his phone as the sound source...

I think the S4 plays in stereo?

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - cfact - 08-11-2015

(08-11-2015, 08:24 AM)fakiee Wrote: I think the S4 plays in stereo?
It may well do - but on a nightstand, all audio would effectively be coming from one side (i.e. basically no real channel separation so mono)

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - Spareness - 08-11-2015

Well, I miss that parts. It seems i experiences tiredness which led me can not concentrate.

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - Jakeb203 - 06-17-2016

(03-18-2015, 06:18 PM)Shannon Wrote: Here is what FrequenSee tells me about the usage patterns I have for myself.

Maximum volume: 12/15 on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4). This is approximately -23 dB peak volume at the source. Discrepancy from previous answers comes from the fact that I'm reading these on a scale starting at 0 and dropping, instead of rising. This volume is what I usually use on my phone at night, phone either on nightstand or next to me.

Standard volume: 9/15 on my phone. Approximately -27 dB peak volume at the source. This is what I usually use on my phone during the day, phone in arms reach.

Low volume: 7/15 on my phone. Approximately -33 dB peak volume at the source.

Volumes below 7 are useful, but are not as powerful in dealing with resistance.

This is not necessarily an endorsement for the use of these volumes. It's what I use, and I share it for educational purposes only. If you try them and these volumes are too loud, or you experience ringing in your ears, use the standard method for calibration.

Shannon, is there a particular reason you are adjusting higher volume when you are listening at night?

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - thomph - 07-01-2016

i had tinnitus of my ear after listening ultrasound all night long with headphone volume range 40-50%.. it is safe ?

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - RTBoss - 07-01-2016

(07-01-2016, 12:40 PM)thomph Wrote: i had tinnitus of my ear after listening ultrasound all night long with headphone volume range 40-50%.. it is safe ?

No. Shannon said to never listen to ultrasonic while using headphones. Do so at your own risk.

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - Shannon - 07-03-2016

(08-11-2015, 11:18 AM)coldfact Wrote:
(08-11-2015, 08:24 AM)fakiee Wrote: I think the S4 plays in stereo?
It may well do - but on a nightstand, all audio would effectively be coming from one side (i.e. basically no real channel separation so mono)

I don't have a speaker system or stereo in my home. I have my laptop, which stays at the office as an incentive to come to the office and work, and I have my TV and my phone.

I'm not putting my TV in my bedroom, and I'm not sleeping in the living room. So I use my phone.

It does not have stereo audio, but it works well enough, and since I am using the same sub for years at a time, I'm not particularly worried about it.

I use the volumes I do because those are the volumes that produce the best results while I am testing with others at some distance. Therefore, when my phone is at the distance I usually would be from a tester, and it is playing at that volume at the source, I am getting slightly less volume and it's perfect.

I measure the sound using the phone mike, while producing it using the phone speaker.

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - Deprogramming - 09-18-2016

Have a few questions regarding the sub listening setup.

1. I'm using FrequenSee to measure the dB. The scale is 0 to -100dB. If I understand correctly the lower the number the louder it is? So -30dB would be louder than say -50dB?

2. This has probably been asked elsewhere in the forum but can't seem to find it. I listen to US while sleeping on my side. Will it still be as effective? I can't sleep on my back or face down.

Any response will be appreciated.

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - RTBoss - 09-18-2016

(09-18-2016, 02:57 PM)Deprogramming Wrote: Have a few questions regarding the sub listening setup.

1. I'm using FrequenSee to measure the dB. The scale is 0 to -100dB. If I understand correctly the lower the number the louder it is? So -30dB would be louder than say -50dB?

2. This has probably been asked elsewhere in the forum but can't seem to find it. I listen to US while sleeping on my side. Will it still be as effective? I can't sleep on my back or face down.

Yes to both questions.

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - Deprogramming - 09-18-2016

(09-18-2016, 03:08 PM)RTBoss Wrote:
(09-18-2016, 02:57 PM)Deprogramming Wrote: Have a few questions regarding the sub listening setup.

Yes to both questions.

Thanks RTB!

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - RTBoss - 09-18-2016

(09-18-2016, 05:13 PM)Deprogramming Wrote:
(09-18-2016, 03:08 PM)RTBoss Wrote:

Yes to both questions.

Thanks RTB!

You're welcome, feel free to rep me! Smile

RE: Ultrasonic volume - the definitive answer - kwamezzie - 12-05-2016

(08-07-2015, 12:33 AM)Shannon Wrote: At the source means, FrequenSee is measuring the volume of the audio on the same device that is producing it. So if you're not doing that, you want to measure at the speaker.

Quote:I have to play the silent at between -60 and -70 at the source (laptop) to not be disturbed by the beeping sound. Is my subconscious able to pick up the messages with this volume?

Yes, of course distance from speaker to ear factors in on this, since sound falls off in intensity at the square of the distance from the source. In the same room, it will work, I wouldn't use it at that volume more than 10 feet away though.

Do we have to sleep on our backs when listening to the subs through speakers? I like to sleep facing my wall and the speaker would be behind me on my tv stand. would this be ok?