Subliminal Talk
Let's drop the BASS - Become A Successful Scientist - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Family & Work Safe Journals (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Family-Work-Safe-Journals)
+--- Forum: Title Requests & Suggestions (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Title-Requests-Suggestions)
+--- Thread: Let's drop the BASS - Become A Successful Scientist (/Thread-Let-s-drop-the-BASS-Become-A-Successful-Scientist)

Let's drop the BASS - Become A Successful Scientist - Mystic Pymp - 10-11-2014

This is my little idea I got after reading instructions to new BASE program, great read on itself BTW. I would be much simpler than BASE and so it should be single stage.

The idea is to create program which will help people in Academia. Academia is very specific environment much different than business. Because of that BASE is pretty much useless for someone like me right now. There are however many similarities like need for networking, belief and yourself, motivation stuff and so on.

This is what this program could incorporate:
- All fancy technologies that there are too many for me to bother naming them
- Most generic things from BASE present also in AM or LTU like Ultra Motivation and OGSF. These never hurt I think.
- All networking stuff, Academia is closed bust quite a wast system and good connections are essential, almost like in politics
- Stand Against Dogma program, after all Einstein's ideas were thought outrageous at the beginning. It is very easy to inhabit some believes in almost religious fashion and proved wrong. And it's best to be us who will be proving wrong Big Grin
- Concerning the above, be skeptical.
- Everything helping with learning. Faster and easier learning, better sleep, long lasting memory. Does "Dream Your Best Solution" really work? Intuition stuff is also appreciated. You don't even know how much scientists rely on intuition, how they judge result by them "feeling right". It leads to both great discoveries and disregarding of legitimate data.
- Some kind of help in having charisma necessary to teach and explain things. Your idea might be great, but no one will follow it if you cannot explain it.
- Better time management. Academia expands into your private life and it is important to find time for private life.
- Something to give this childlike quality of asking questions and looking for answers. Sometimes half of the success is asking the right question. But why? Why? How it works? Why is sky blue?
- Probably more, but my goal was to propose single stage program.

Is this program worth a bother? Probably not, there would be no demand for it, people would rather create now businesses or enlarge their penises than care for science and world development. Also this program would be very difficult to make. As I said Academia is ruled by it's own rules and so I think it would be more difficult to make it than to make generic program like BASE, however complex it might be on its own.

RE: Let's drop the BASS - Become A Successful Scientist - Mystic Pymp - 10-12-2014

Shannon is more like a mad scientist ( Big Grin ), practically on his own, pariah. I agree that BASE fits well, but even though core fits perfectly there are many minor modules that take away from the focus I'd like to see. Certainly I'd love to run BASE at least once to gain some awesome qualities it has to offer. But you got one thing wrong.

Academia is not about getting funds. Academia is about finding good professor with promising research subject and using his work to jump start your carrier. For that you need to know to who's group it's best to join, you need other professors to vouch for you. It's not hard to be post-doc in some backwater university doing research on subject 10 people in the world knows about. However being on the front lines of your field requires a lot of luck and connections, especially at the beginning. That's why I like to compare Academia to Politics more than Business.